Recipe related queries

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by manju_j, Apr 2, 2005.

1. padmavathi m

padmavathi m Silver IL'ite

Re: Recipe of bhendi/okra fry and veg pulav needed urgently

dear happy woman,

the recipe for veg pulao what i prepare ............

vegetables (peas, diced carrots, finely cut beans, small pieces of cauliflower) 150 gms / 1.5 cups
    basmati rice 2 cups
    thinly sliced medium sized onions - 3
    whole garam masala -
    cinnamon sticks - 2
    cloves - 4
    cardamom - 4
    ginger garlic paste - 3 tsps
    whole green chillies - 5
    3 tbsp of finely chopped mint leaves (optional)

now heat oil in a pressure pan put the whole garam masala, onions, saute the onions till they are brown, now add chillies, mint leaves, vegetables, and add 1.5 cups of water, allow it to boil for 2 mins and finally add rice. pressure cook for 1 whistle. remove the pressure pan lid after 1/2 hr. garnish with coriander leaves and serve

this is just a simple one, you can try our queen Chitvish ma'am's recipes, Krishnamma's recipes, for more varieties of veg pulao...................

love
    padma

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  2. happywoman

happywoman Silver IL'ite

hi padma,

Thx for that quick response. Im surely going to chek out CV and KA ma'ams recipes for variations.Thanks to you and Indusladies once again.

3. anupamakalyan

anupamakalyan Senior IL'ite

Hi Happy woman

Procedure for bhindi fry

Cut your Bhindi into small but not so small pieces

Heat 2 tbl spoons oil in a kadai , when hot add mustard,jeera, hing(asfoetida) , 3 greenchillies

Add the cut bhindi n leave it closed in sim 4 10 mins, now open and mix well add a bit of salt and turmeric and leave it open and in simmer

Keep mixing it and in Simmer as well as open every 10 mins as long as you feel your bhindi has fried enuf

Note add salt and tyrmeric as late as possible!!
    hope I am not too late in posting this

4. ForeverPositive

ForeverPositive New IL'ite

Recipe for Sambhar

Hi,
    My family is a big lover of South Indian Food.We visit a lot of SI Restuarants and I was wondering what better forum then to ask the experts out here:)
    Also is there any technique of having fluffier and fuller idlis??Are there idli stands which are very deep or do you make them in katoris.Also is it best to grind the batter or is there a recipe for making the idli/dosa batter by the Idli Rava packs you find in grocery stores here.

Thanks in advance

5. Saahithya

Saahithya Silver IL'ite

Re: Recipe for Sambhar

hello foreverpositive

to make fluffier idlies you can put some 2 or 3 spoons of curd in teh batter and leave the batter for 12 hours.
    Also you can put a pinch of baking soda and leave the batter for 2 or 3 hours to get fluffier idlies.

After you make the idli batter do not make the idlis immeidately atleast leave the batter outside (not in the fridge) for 6 to 8 hours and then keep in the fridge.

Recipe for Sambhar

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="80%" border=0>ngredients
    <TABLE cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TD vAlign=top width="15%">
    <TD width="85%">For the sambhar<TD vAlign=top width="15%">
    <TD width="85%">1 cup toovar dal (arhar)<TD vAlign=top width="15%">
    <TD width="85%">1 tomato, chopped<TD vAlign=top width="15%">
    <TD width="85%">1 onion, chopped

Sambhar powder

<TD vAlign=top width="15%">
    <TD width="85%">2 brinjals, cubed<TD vAlign=top width="15%">
    <TD width="85%">1 drumstick, cut into 4 pieces<TD vAlign=top width="15%">
    <TD width="85%">1 potato, peeled and cubed<TD vAlign=top width="15%">
    <TD width="85%">1 tablespoon tamarind pulp (imli)<TD vAlign=top width="15%">
    <TD width="85%">salt to taste

How to proceed
    <TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top>1.<TD width="93%">Wash and pressure cook the dal, tomato, onion, brinjals, drumstick and potato with 2 cups of water.
    <TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top>2.<TD width="93%">Then add the tamarind pulp, sambhar powder, salt and 4 cups of water and bring to a boil.
    <TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top>3.<TD width="93%">Prepare the tempering by heating the oil and frying the mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida until the mustard seeds crackle. Add this to the sambhar and simmer for 15 minutes.
    <TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top>4.<TD width="93%">Serve hot.

6. Kodavati

Kodavati Senior IL'ite

What to do with these small green whole moong dal ?

Hi Ladies,

I need suggestions from all you experinced ladies out there as to what should i do with small whole green moong dal.I brought a packet of whole green moong dal for making salad and eating.But i noticed that the seeds were much smaller and no matter how long i soak them they would not soften and no sprouting.
    Does anybody have an idea what can be done with these ??bonkbonk
    It would be really helpful.:bowdown

7. Saahithya

Saahithya Silver IL'ite

Re: What to do with these small green whole moong dal ?

Kodavati

just wanted to check are you talking about the one that are called pesalu in telugu (green color whole ..called as greem gram whole)

you can soak them in water for 1 or 2 days and after they swell (the size wont increase too much like chana...but when you touch them you can feel the softness..) take them out from water and wrap them in a wet cloth and keep aside with in 1 day you will see the sprouts..then you can store them in the refrigerator..

Green Gram Dosa

if you want to make any dishes...you can make dosa batter out of it...soak the green gram and then grind them and add salt as per your taste..and make dosas (you can put green chillies and onions and jeera on the top of the dosa (just like onion dosa..)...and eat with any chutney or pickle..this is a typical andhra dish...

Green Gram Bajji

Soak the whole green gram in water and when its soft grind them to make a thick paste (not watery or loose batter like dosa..)..it should thick so use very less amount of water (just like the batter for vada)...take that batter put some green chillies, salt to taste and sliced onion pieces...and mix these in the batter and put small lemon size balls in oil and deep fry....it comes out like mysore bonda or mysore bajji and tastes very good..(another andhra dish)

let me know if you were able to try these and how they have come out...

8. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

The small whole green dhal I buy sprouts well! I usually cook it for chappati .. cooks well. Hope this helps!

9. mrinals

mrinals New IL'ite

Boil the overnight soaked dhal with turmeric powder & salt to taste.fry in oil finelly chopped big onion, garlic, ginger & green chillies,when golden brown add the boiled dhal & keep in a low flame for 2 minutes. garnish with curry leaves & coriander leaves.
    It is best to boil these dhal in a pressure cooker.
    for varrying taste u can add garam masala also when frying.

10. libran23

libran23 Senior IL'ite

Hi,

You can soak them overnight and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
    Than add tomato puree and all spices which you normally use for cooking in oil and add moong and let it cook for few minutes.
    It turns out to really good.

Cheers,

Anshita