Recession - Ideal Ways to Save / Invest Money Safely

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by Haasinii, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Haasinii

Haasinii Bronze IL'ite

Shall we discuss what are the ideal ways to save money / invest money safely..so that we dont loose big amounts and atleast our principal remains safe during this recession time...We hear so many views not to invest in Real Estate or any kind of mutual funds or shares or stocks etc..etc...so what are the safest ways to invest money or save money?

2. shobanaj

shobanaj Senior IL'ite

Haasini,

People are back to the olden modes of savings such as FD,RD etc.
    My opinion is you can still do MFs. But depositing a big chunk in one MF will not work good. Always go for SIP and diversify your investment portfolios. Eg, put some amounts in Reliance, Birla, HDFC etc

You can go through the websites such as moneycontrol.com valueresearchonline.com etc to get an idea about the investment options.

Hope this helps.

3. Haasinii

Haasinii Bronze IL'ite

Thank you Shobana....

4. jpoorni

jpoorni Senior IL'ite

It was great of you shobana to share the website details.my hubby was asking me to check on some investment plans from a long time, but to be frank i dont have any interests.i just want to be a good house wife and do some work from home(to help my hubby). when i see so many of your interests in this area i m slowly getting interests .......

great job IL......:cheers

Poornima:hide:

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi haasini,

You can look into mf, only look at mf which are more viable to give you returns and don't forget the small fine print, the entry load, and the exit load.

Always think of the market situation like a Real estate fund will not give you much returns with the bubble burst right now.

You can always look at FD's, Government bonds as safer ways.

Right now there is a good policy from LIC doing the rounds. Jeevan Astha that is even being advertised on tv too. the policy is just a FD+loyalty bonus +coverage (though the percentage of insurance goes down after the first year..) and it is a single premium policy...

6. Haasinii

Haasinii Bronze IL'ite

Shanvy

thank you so much for suggesting the LIC info...will immediately call them to get more details...yes as of now I am also interested in FDs more than any other forms of savings...would you be able to suggest any good government bonds also if possible based on your experience..

7. shobanaj

shobanaj Senior IL'ite

No problem Poorni.

I am glad that i could provide little useful information.

Take care.

8. Haasinii

Haasinii Bronze IL'ite

9. flimsy29

flimsy29 New IL'ite

Hi,

Thanks for sharing such a good resource. It was a significant reading which enhanced my information.

10. vivekpuja

vivekpuja New IL'ite

Hi guys !!!!!!!!!
    nice to read all you guys !!!!!!!!1

Well!!!!! the problem with human nature is when something is going upup, we think we missed the train ......we try to to catch on higher levels .......it falls and we burn our fingures and whats our statment Its like this

" it was going up up and when i enterd it crashed .......i am so unlucky. and the suggestion will be dont invest in stocks and mutual funds:rotfl:rotfl

But dear its not like that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enter when its down not up .........
    Set your horizon short term and long term . Strategies for both are completely different . I am in markets from 2001 . i do both things trading and investing. In recession alos, i am injecting fresh money to see my wealth in 5-6 years down the line , same thing i did in 2003 till 2007.

IF you have any queries guys , i will be more happy to help you ....... believe me systemtic investments in right discpline pays off in long term ...... my personal and porfessional experience!!!!!!!!!

And more importantly DIVERSIFY!!!!!!!!! thats the key word for investmnets
    Judge your risk appetite
    your cash flow
    your goals like when your kid will need money for colledge, your retirmnet
    Accordingly set your investmnet targets
    short trem options debt funds , liquid funds , Fds
    Med term options: loong duration Fds , NSc , RBI bonds , RD and ELSS
    Long term options : , Mutual funds , stocks , ulips , insurance , PPf etc

I ahve listed just few options .....but anybody has any query feel free
    Puja