1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Recession and Job Loss - H1B holders, how are u coping up!

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by ANK, Dec 3, 2008.

1. ANK

ANK Bronze IL'ite

Hi!

Its been a depressing time, these past few weeks! It was hearing about job losses, specially H1B holders working as consultants......then came the Mumbai mayhem.......and the job loss stories here continue! Everyday, we hear one or the other friend's contract not be renewed............and being on H1......its really taking its toll!

How r u all coping up??!!

2. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Hi ANK ,

It is like we are approaching the doomsday ..december is supposed to be the month of festivities and celebrations instead it is morose and saturnine.

Few of my friends in US have asked me if UK is any better but unfortunately nothing is spared and the credit crisis has spread its claws engulfing every nation in its path.

I just suggest everyone to fasten their seat belts and hold on tight as we are heading headlong into a deep pit called 'recession'.

ANK , what is the funda in US ? If a person loses job on H1 then how long can he stay in US or does he have to return ?

3. ANK

ANK Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sabitha!

This is the first time we are all so in a 'not-festive'mood!
    But I guess, its happenning all over......the global recession is spreading its claws, and I guess its here to stay for a few more months atleast!

I do not know how it works with H1B visa, if a loss of job does happen....will have to check that out!

In the meantime...hoping all of us tighten our belts and hang on to what we have!

4. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

ANK,

I was just going through Bloomberg now ..and the top headlines are all firms laying off employees .AT & T has plans to layoff 12,000 !

We are all in the brink of war, fear, unprecedented unemployment.

5. ANK

ANK Bronze IL'ite

Sabitha!

Its indeed depressing...the global recession....the terror attacks...the high alerts............KALI YUG is indeed here! Now 2 top CIA guys in US are dead sure that we are gonna face a WMD in the next 5 yrs.....from the terrorists.........DOOMSDAY indeed seems to be nearing!

But I am keeping my hopes up......and hoping that Obama, who right now is looked upon the next best thing to happen to US and the world....will show us some light at the end of this dark tunnel! Be it Terrorism or Recession.........WILL HE DELIVER????? I million $ question!

6. kika

kika Silver IL'ite

If you had gone thru 2001 recession, you will know what this is and will be much more balanced and know this is not the end.

There is hope and this is one of the down turns..

Market will come back up. Keep hope.