Reasons for getting into business

Discussion in 'Entrepreneurship' started by sharm1411, Jun 23, 2009.

1. sharm1411

sharm1411 Junior IL'ite

Hi,

ILs here the interesting and useful article that i have come across. Hope u enjoy.

So you're considering getting into your own business. That's great! This could change your life forever and help you live the lifestyle you've always wanted.
    It may allow you to do more of the things you want and be in more control. Being in your own business can truly be an enriching experience just make sure you're doing it for the right reasons.
    The purpose of this article is to help you get into business for the right reasons. When you know what you really want, then you'll have a much better chance of getting it.
    Johnny worked in an automotive detailing shop, and he was very good at it. The cars he worked on turned out better than cars in the showroom. What he didn't like was being told what to do when it came to detailing the cars. The business owner focused on profits and ignored giving excellent service, and he usually made Johnny cut corners during the detailing process.
    One day, Johnny had had enough. He knew he could do a better job detailing cars his way, and he decided to open up his own shop. He abruptly walked into the boss's office, told him he was quitting, and walked out, not even giving the boss a chance to ask what the problem was. Within three weeks, Johnny was in business for himself.
    In the first few weeks, Johnny found himself taking care of many of the tasks he wasn't familiar with, working extra-long hours, and lacking the time to do what he was good at detailing cars. Johnny found himself in the world of business, and he didn't like it.
    After just a few weeks of this, he gave up. Johnny was finished before he even got started. You see, he never really wanted to run his own business, he only wanted to detail the cars. That's his passion, that's what he did best, and that's all he wanted to do so he got into business for the wrong reasons, and that's why he gave up. Now he's worse off than when he started: he's broke and unemployed, and his sprits are down.
    Don't let what happened to Johnny happen to you. Get into business for the right reasons. Johnny hated every aspect of running a business, and that's why he gave up and failed. He would have been better off making an agreement with his employer that would have given him more control in the detailing process and that's all he really needed.
    We're all happy doing something important to us, something that we could do all day even if we didn't get paid for it. When you're considering a business, it should be something you're happy doing.
    Don't run away from a problem, but rather run toward a desire. Once you've found your true desire and you're in a working environment that's right for you, you'll perform better, work will be enjoyable, and you'll be good at what you do.
    The reasons for running your own business are personal and plentiful. But whatever the reason, you're in business to succeed, and if you're simply running from a problem, you won't find success. You need to be in business for the right reasons.
    Here are some of the more popular reasons people start their own businesses:
    To be in control
    To have more freedom
    To create something special
    To feel successful
    To gain recognition
    To feel a sense of accomplishment
    To improve their financial situations
    To build a better future
    To be their own bosses
    To feel prestigious
    If you'd like to determine the core of your desires and get really clear about them, then do the following:

Write down your number one reason for wanting to get into business.
    To get clear about the underlying desire, do this simple yet powerful exercise that will only take a few minutes.
    Click here to go through this powerful exercise now . Whatever your reasons for wanting your own business, it's important to be clear about them. Once you're clear, it will be easier to become successful. Then at least you'll know you're traveling along the right track.
    That's the way I see it.
    To Your Success!
    Acey Gaspard
    Action Steps to Identifying Your Reasons For Getting Into Your Own Business
    Write down your primary reason for wanting to establish your own business.
    Take the exercise to ensure that your reasons are indeed the right ones for getting into business.
    Important Questions to Identifying Your Reasons For Getting Into Your Own Business
    Why do you want to get into business?
    What triggered this desire to set up your own business?
    What has prevented you from starting your own business earlier?
    What has changed now that makes you believe now is the right time to open a business?

How to Find Your True Desire
    I was listening to an interview with Bob Doyle and Jack Zufelt of The DNA of Success and here is the gold I got from this interview.
    Here's the gold I got from this interview: Jack's view is that in order to achieve a goal, you have to know the exact reasons you want the goal.
    This makes perfect sense if think you know the reason for achieving the goal. But if you don't know the reason, then you really don't have a true goal and even if you do achieve the goal, it will turn out to be a goal that isn't your true desire and therefore a lost cause.
    Here's what I remember from the example Jack gave.
    He was asking a woman in the audience what her goal was, and she gave a dollar figure. He told her, “That isn't your true goal.”
    She didn't really understand, so he then asked her, “What will more money give you that you don't already have now?”
    She said, “I can quit my job.” He knew that wasn't the core goal and asked again, “What will that give you that you don't already have?”
    She said, “I can become debt free.” He asked again, “What will that give you that you don't already have?”
    Now she had to think for a bit, and a tear came into her eye. She said, “A better relationship with my husband.”
    This was the true desire: she thought she needed more money to pay off her debts, to release stress, and to have a better relationship with her husband. But now that she knows the true desire, she can have the goal of a better relationship without the need for the money.
    A simple technique, yet very powerful. Simply ask yourself the question: what will this give me that I don't already have? And keep asking it until you get shifted into the way you feel.
    Thanks to Jack Zufelt, this technique is simple, and you can do it alone! Try it now.
    What's your main goal?
    Answer: ____

What will that give you that you don't already have?
    Answer: _____

Keep going until you get a shift in the way you feel. You'll know when to stop.

Author
    Acey Gaspard
    Regards
    Sharmila

2. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sharmila, interesting article. Thanks for sharing.