Really Odd Facts About Destinations....

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Nonya, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Here is a thread to post about unexpected things you have seen or heard from others who had been-and-seen at travel/tourist destination.

Uncle and Aunty went to Nice. They were neither keen on long airtravel (need pressure socks on their feet) or dealing with non-english speaking natives.
    However, they were convinced to go to Nice (France) for a couple of weeks this summer. They came back all happy and enthused about the place. One of the remarkable things they said was about the number of Indian Restaurants in that French Riviera City. I couldn't believe that at first; but then, I figured it must be a destination for the English summer tourists, and that would explain the number of Indian restaurants.
    I googled... and yes, indeed. Right by the ferry terminal, and not too far from the promenade des Anglais, there are plenty of Indian restaurants.

upload_2017-8-23_10-54-14.png

Rihana and sindmani like this.

2. IniyaaSri

IniyaaSri IL Hall of Fame

Interesting thread @Nonya !!!

Few days back I came to know something that almost shocked me!

Seems in Germany, people do not drink water....instead they have coke, other carbonated water, sparkling water, juice and such stuff. Water is too expensive and people do not buy that usually.
    One of my friend had been to Germany(very first time). He and his friend were in a restaurant and they have asked for drinking water! Seems it was costly. They didn't mind and paid. They were given a small glass of water to quench their thirst.

When the guys have asked the waitress for one more glass of water, the waitress's reply gave a mini heart attack "I would love to give you! But my boss doesn't permit me!" saying this she walked away...These guys felt too bad to substitute something else for water.

I do not know how common it is. But when I heard, it was too new.

teenulahari and Nonya like this.
  3. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Random Fun Facts counts? o_O

teenulahari, Srama and Nonya like this.
  4. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Yes... everything counts..

And by the way, I heard that people love to ride the escalators (in Malls) in Zambia:

teenulahari, kaniths and Srama like this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@kaniths, this is awesome.

kaniths likes this.
  6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

They do drink water, just not in restaurants. At home Germans drink water like everyone else. Their tap water is probably the cleanest on earth due to strict regulations, definitely safer than most bottled water, but carbonated water is preferred by most. You can buy multi-liter bottles of still and sparkling water in all grocery stores, drugstores or corner kiosks for a couple of Euros. Restaurant trips are reserved for drinks other than water, usually beer and wine. German restaurants are reluctant to serve water because most of their profit is made on beverages. You can ask for tap water (leitungswasser) but most places won't serve it. You can always buy stillwasser or mineralwasser. Buying water in restaurants is quite expensive. I have paid as much as 7 Euros for a one liter bottle. In contrast, a 0.5 liter beer mug will cost much less. Plus German beer is incredible! Try a good helles or hefeweizen beer. If you want something lighter get a radler, beer mixed with lemonade. I drank more beer in my time there than I have in years and I could see why Germans love their beer! If you don't drink alcohol you can always find Coke and Pepsi.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    salad, teenulahari, Nonya and 2 others like this.
  7. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

In many forin places, especially Latin countries, a college is where what we know as "high school" is done. OTOH, post graduate study is done in an institution called "school". University years come after college, but before school.

Rihana likes this.
  8. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

upload_2017-9-17_18-52-9.png

Odd brand name for a phoren clothing line and chain boutique in France.

Naari likes this.
  9. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Now that Graham-Cassidy Obamacare Repeal & Replace is going to be voted in the US Congress, and Sanders is once again talking up Single-payer medicare for all US persons, naturally one is curious about what the foriners are up to.

I happened to browse to see if there is any English articles on how foreigners feel about the medical care. The Dutch have something pretty similar to Obamacare (Health Care Around the World: Why Dutch System, Similar to Obamacare, is Model for USA | The UMHS Endeavour), and it works pretty well for almost all.

Found a couple of hilarious (sort of contradictory) comments in the comparison of US and Japanese healthcare:
    Source:Japan's health care system edges foreign care in expat survey | The Japan Times

“On one hand, doctors and their assistants are usually very careful about women‘s modesty. They don’t request patients to undress entirely and even provide towels for them to use. On the other hand, this might appear excessive, when doctors won’t dare to listen to the heart or the lungs of a patient.”

She also recalled the “awful” experience of getting a Pap smear at a clinic, where, instead of having a private room, she was given a sheet of paper to cover her face, while hospital staff walked by in front of her open legs. < Obviously survey comments are occasionally hyperbolic. OTOH, the Japanese, of the land of the famous public baths, are notoriously blasè about nudity. >

10. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

We all know that when we buy a lot, we get a lower price. This is "volume discount". That is why we shop at costco, and other such shopping clubs.
    In Japan, this kind of volume discount is rare. It is as if the marketers already know that people live in cubby holes, with hardly any storage space, and they couldn't buy a lot and put it away somewhere.
    Even more odd is something I found on a liquor store shelf: A bigger bottle costs less than a smaller one:
    upload_2017-11-1_10-51-3.png