1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Realize we are blessed with only less opportunities, lying around us!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by srinivasan_vanaja, Mar 31, 2010.

1. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

Runner up - Finest Blog - May 2010

Dear Ilites,

Once a man was very depressed with his life and felt that he was not as successful as others. He decided to end his life. He went near the vast sea and thought of God for a second.

God at once appeared in front of him and said that he would help him to come up in his life. The sea shore had lot of pebbles scattered on it. God told the man that there is a touchstone lying among thousands and thousands of other pebbles on the sea shore that could turn any common metal into pure gold.

But the secret was this: The real stone would feel warm, while ordinary pebbles are cold.

So the man sold his few belongings camped on the seashore, and began testing pebbles.

He started picking up pebbles, when he felt one that was cold, he threw it into the sea. He spent a whole day doing this but none of them was the touchstone. Yet he went on and on this way. Pick up a pebble. Cold - throw it into the sea. Pick up another. Throw it into the sea.

The days stretched into weeks and the weeks into months. One day, however, about mid afternoon, he picked up a pebble and it was warm. He threw it into the sea before he realized what he had done.

He had formed such a strong habit of throwing each pebble into the sea that when the one he wanted came along, he still threw it away.

So it is with opportunity. Unless we are vigilant, it's easy to fail to recognize an opportunity when it is in hand and it's just as easy to throw it away.

Opportunity is often difficult to recognize; we usually expect it to beckon us with banners and posters. Only the pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity.

So, whenever you get an opportunity to -

1) Thank some one do it at once.
    2) Appreciate some one do it at once.
    3) Help some one do it at once.
    4) Save some one do it at once.
    5) Realize your mistake do it at once.

Last but not the least, when you get an opportunity to live, live to the fullest. Life is a gift, and it offers us the privilege, opportunity, and responsibility to give something back by becoming more.

This human form, being born in India, my parents, relatives, friends, business, job, future - everything is my opportunity. I am in the verge of realizing it. Do you?

2. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello Vanaja,

I would just like to say "your post made me think!". Thanks for this thought provoking blog! :)

3. mathiprabhu

mathiprabhu New IL'ite

Hello Vanaja,

This is really good one.Thankyou for this valuable information.If we come to realize small small things in our life, i feel we can lead a problem free life.....

4. vijaya1982

vijaya1982 Bronze IL'ite

Hi vanaja,

very very nice one to think about our life. thanks alot for sharing with us.

5. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Wowww....amazing simply superb...loved each and every word of it...soooo very very true!!! am really glad that I read this blog SV madam...thanks alot for this reminder!!

6. vijianand

vijianand Senior IL'ite

An interesting and thought provoking post Mam!!! We, being creatures of habit, sometimes fail to recognize the things we have in life.

when you get an opportunity to live, live to the fullest. Life is a gift, and it offers us the privilege, opportunity, and responsibility to give something back by becoming more.

These lines are so very true!!!

7. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

The story you had narrated here is very interesting. It shows how we miss the opportunity through our 'strong unwanted habits' too..isn't it, Vanaja!

I remember a joke regarding the opportunity...
    Once 'opportunity' knocked a person's home..that person didn't answer the knock...so 'it' once knocked the door, one more time..the person asked, 'Who is this?' to which the opportunity answered..."I am opportunity"..
    The person did not open the door this time too..giving an excuse of 'opportunity never strikes twice'..haha

sriniketan

8. srinivasan_vanaja

Hi,

Thanks for the comments. Just think of the opportunities right around you and do not bother about the ones you missed.

9. srinivasan_vanaja

Hi Mathiprabhu,

Thank you for the comments. Let us start realizing those small small things in our life.:)

10. srinivasan_vanaja

Hi,

Thank you for the comments.