1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Reality of the society

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by hrastro, Nov 18, 2014.

1. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

Dear HR,

That’s really really a wonderful initiative. :thumbsup
    The site is very informative and quite user friendly.

If at all I can suggest, you can build on the user interface of the website, the navigation I mean. EX- rather we clicking the previous button to exit the page, you can add on grids to click that takes you the home page. I got a little lost:)

You can also add on 'experiences field' where users can share their plights, what they did to overcome it, what they like to share about the concerns…More of getting to understand eachother’s experiences and awareness. Eg – what shanti Di shared about her takes and stories.
    Otherwise the look and feel is undeniably great. Children would love to read themselves.

Coming to the topic, huh, I don’t know what to say. It’s so disgusting to see and hear how our own people act ridiculously when they people affected. The naming and shaming always goes to the women, no matter who you are, where you come from or what to do. Society is still a little insensitive.

One thing I would like to ask, while we keep teaching the girls about sexual abuse and its precautions, why not the same go in coaching and inculcating the boys with the responsibility to respect and protect the girls. Don’t we think its high time we start teaching the boys (@ home/schools/colleges) the moral obligation of safeguarding the girls. At least respect them?

3 people like this.
  2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Fantastic initiative hrastro. A very essential education for today's day and times. It is indeed shocking to fathom the levels of depravity to which our society has sunk. More shocking is the kind of reactions from so-called educated people. It is a very good indicator of the reason why nothing has changed.

I wonder if there is scope for adult education - meaning bringing about a change in attitude - on your site. That is also a very important aspect.

Sad to see the innocence of childhood being eroded. Or maybe all these kind of episodes are coming to light today, where they were kept hidden in the past.

1 person likes this.
  3. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Thanx a ton CB !!!

And thanx for offering help on subsequent updates of content !!!

Many parents think this cannot happen to our children - but it happens !

In one of the awareness conducted, as I said, a 8 year old girl came out and told her parents about their neighbour !
    Would it have made a difference if the child was made aware before - yes, definitely!

Because even these men live in the society and they move into a prey only when they think they are safe! And they do it inch-by-inch! So he would have been caught at the first instance if the little girl had been aware !

4. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Jayaji,

Wow !!! 13 girls !!! You must have had lots of fun!

Even in those days, girls were considered a big responsibility ! I dont know about your generation (I'm in mid-late 30s) - but in my time, whenever I had any incidences on the roads or travels, I did not open up to my parents! I was too shy/too unaware!

Some incidents would make us uncomfortable intuitively - someone's stare or touch or poke etc - but we didnt know to express it out to our parents or safe adults.

We didnt go out in the dark too much and learnt to keep away from trouble - now with the traffic, competition, the number of classes the kids attend, the working mothers, life has become much more difficult for the little children too!

Now, every kid is supposed to have a "safe adult" recognised and named so that when he/she is in trouble, they dont have to think who to run to for help !!

HR

5. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Thanx a ton, parineetha! I am touched by your appreciation!
    I can understand that you got lost :) I'll add a home link on the menu ! That should work!

Edit: Added Home link
    Sure, we can add a section to add experiences - but I would need a full-time moderator else, it will get all kinds of junk inputs too! But I'll add a section to email me any stories in "About Us" and I'll have to sift through and add them myself :)

Edit: Added a sentence on top of Contact form in About Us

Yeah, I want at least the kids who can read complete sentences should be able to go through the quizzes and games all by themselves!

Everywhere the naming and shaming goes to women only !
    A career woman gets told her kids may turn out bad, a homemaker gets told dont make the kid dependent on her :)
    A woman whose husband strays is because she is not controlling!
    A woman whose husband runs around her is because she has done black magic!

A mother of 2 girls told me that "HR, what can the poor MEN do, they are MEN after all - if these girls dress up like this, they cannot expect to be safe"

What is she going to teach her daughters ???

I told her - even if I completely seduce my own husband and then say NO, he has no right to rape me! And she was shocked at my "individualistic thinking"

parineetha, I have to point out here that the website is NOT ONLY for girls - BOYS ALSO GET MOLESTED - At childline, we discussed a little boy molested by his OWN Grandfather !!! There are boys who get raped in hostels and schools !!

The key is NOT DIFFERENTIATING between boys and girls !

and teaching kids to RESPECT the other person's CHOICE on what they want to do and teaching them to resolve conflicts without using force!

Yeah, I understand that we should teach boys to safeguard girls

- again - as I said in my first post, another mother of 2 girls told me - "why are YOU so hot and bothered, tumhara to ek beta hai na!! (You have a son only)"

So, as a mother of a BOY, I should NOT EVEN bother that girls are getting raped ???? Let alone do something like create awareness and educate kids !!!

When I said, "I am a mother, even that little girl who got raped is like a child to me"
    She said - "Oh so you are the noble types,... ok ok ok !!!"

So parineetha, when you say boys should be taught to treat girls with respect - first we have to change the perception of ALL mothers and women and THEN change the boys and men's perception!!!

This is the REALITY of the society !!!

1 person likes this.
  6. rachaputi

rachaputi Platinum IL'ite

Sorry dear only one like is there to give.

Excellent job and thanks for sharing. :hatsoff

7. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Thank you satchi!! And thanx for helping out with the testing and navigation !! Your feedback helped !

Oh yes, definitely !! There is scope to create awareness for adults too!
    But I would need a script, I am not much of a writer ! Any takers ??? Please PM me !!
    We need to start with "DO NOT BLAME/SHAME the victim" and "NOT to keep this a secret out of SHAME"

They were hidden in the past, satchi !

When I was doing my engineering, the cook's help in the hostel was a 10 year old village girl - Even after 18 or so years, I can still hear her screeching cries when she reported about getting raped by the hostel watchman !!!

The girl was quietly sent home to her village and the watchman was ONLY transferred to the boys hostel ONLY AFTER we girls raised a hue and cry !!!

And that is the REALITY of the society !!

1 person likes this.
  8. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Thanx rachaputi !!!

And thank YOU too, for helping out with the testing and feedback!
    Please share with your friends and other parents and teachers !
    HR