1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Readymade salwars versus unstitched salwars

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by nags, Nov 5, 2008.

1. nags

nags Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Are we losing on to get good unstitched materials for reasonable prices? We see many readymade kurtis, mix n match shops popping up.

do we still go for pretty old way of taking material, designing ourselves, explaining the tailor (kind of), and getting embroidery done chosing our designs?

Please do post your opinion on this.

2. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Hi Nags,

hmm...tht all depends on one's own taste ,dress sense and their comfort levels. I personally dont like much mix n match but white(Bottom and chunny) and black with a different top.
    But I could see somany ppl wearing most mx n match types in my ofc.
    SO, definitely we can take a chance on Mix n match for upcoming days.
    But tht doesnt stop tailor and his creativity right.:thumbsup

Lets try both ways to satisfy our dress needs.

3. nags

nags Silver IL'ite

yeah i too see many such mix n match and I too also do but many of which I get stitched.
    But with readymade clothes, the moment you are out of shop purchasing you would see atleast 3-4 people wearign same type. i guess bangaloreans can relate this with Westside clothes. now there are many other shops popping up with ready clothes. Yes the ethinic section is a relief if you are looking for wearing on trousers or jeans. As you would get frustrated by the size of T shirts avaialbe for even an medium size built indian. I weight 64 for a height of 5.5.

i have almost spent 3 to 4 days without luck finding T shirts and shirts. I started wondering am I so fat that even sometimes XXL does not fit or it too tight to wear without feeling uncomfortable. The ethnic section comes as a relief. here sometimes i go even for Small size. :)

We almost spend 50% more money on such readymade kurtis or salwars (even more in case of a full set). I am not against them. they do come handy when you dont have time to go get material, give to tailor, pick it up back, get altered (many cases yes)..........

I guess we can opt for getting it stitched when we have time and planning earlier for a suit.

I even feel we need to establish direct contact with designer brands who provide stitched clothes to big show rooms and malls. As they would take commission to sell the designers' clothes. In this way we can avoid unneccessary expenditure on paying to shop owners and malls.

Ladies, anybody who know such brands' outlet who provide for malls and show rooom please let me know. Also let me know if they deal retail selling.

4. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Nags,
    yes as you said they will be available in Westside outlets.
    Also, in Bangalore we have FabIndia showroom where you can get ethnic peices for mix n match.Also you can get Sristi outlets anywhere lke shopper's stop etc
    But retail selling, you can catch commercial street in Bangalore and General bazar or Koti in Hyd.

5. kavinarayan

kavinarayan Bronze IL'ite

Hi ladies,
    my chice would always be stitched salwars....yes many of them may have the same material...but no one can match your creativity and style...i have sometimes made my 250rs cotton material set look like a designer suit which will finally come to a total cost of say 400or 450...but the look is great....moreover when people say a word of appreciation it is worth thousands....i always go 3 types of dressing...ranging from 200 to 400,then 500-1000 and 1000 and above...but surely you will have a different look only with stitched salwar...want to be a style icon then vote for stitched salwar(though i too go for some readymades also...sometimes they are irresistable)

In some stores they have materials say for 500rs and the same material stitched with embroidery or someother work for 1500...i pick up these styles and sew it myself with the material for within 1000 of course....
    all you need is patience and creativity and some designing skills....try it

kavi

6. ritaroy

ritaroy Bronze IL'ite

Hi Priya Mommy,

Now a days I and my MIL also like white dupatta and white salwar with good printed kameez.

Love

Rita

7. ritaroy

ritaroy Bronze IL'ite

Hi Nags,

Thanks for initiating a good post. I always prefer unstiched one can make it's innovation, style and desire perfectly what she wants. But readymade also can be nice.

Love

Rita

8. platinumsweet

platinumsweet Gold IL'ite

i always like unstitched ones.. since we can stitch it according to our style and for me perfection is a must.

9. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

I also vote for buying materials and getting it stitched according to our like and taste.Most of the ready made churidars I have to go for shaping/alteration.We can stitch different styles of churis from the designs getting all around us.But the problems of getting it stitched is finding a good tailor who will understand your taste and without arguing stitches it the way you like...there are tailors who wont agree to the design you say and then will end up stitching it in the way they think is fashionable:rant
    Another thing is we have to be back of them asking is it done or not and then calling up and ocnfriming once more before going to get it.But still I prefer materials:)