1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Reading Newspaper

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anandchitra, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Online !!!!!!! UGH !!!!!!!! thats exactly what my mother keeps saying almost everyday now. One of the routine activities of my dear father is to read the newspaper everyday. Or should I say read Hindu everyday. Once he retired he had his own schedule. Which was to get up at 4 a.m. and go out to buy milk and then come back and make coffee. With all the trafiic related accidents we heard his dear children prohibited him from going out so early in the morning. What to do!! somtimes grown up children are very annoying :iagree (read me) so he did stock milk in the fridge. Then around 5 a.m he would leave to go for his morning walk which always lasted around one hour to one and half hours. So when he came back the newspaper would be lying outside the door and he would bring it in and then get settled in his cane chair to read the paper and have his second cup of coffee. When he travels abroad to visit us its a different story. Here he has to wait till evening and then rush to the computer to read his news in Hindu ONLINE.And there the disagreement and arguements start. Because my mother does not like to read it online and does not consider it "reading" :idontgetit: Its still the newspaper isnt' it ? I mean whether you read it online or in hand.. They dont seem to be able to see eye to eye on the newspaper matter only. My mother is never late in reading her Anandaviketan or Kumudham or Shakthi viketan and dont remember what else. She is so very prompt in catchin up with all these magazines. She even has mangayar malar delivered for her by mail. But when it comes to the newspaper they disagreebonk.
    From when I was growing up I still remember my grandmother sitting in the verandah and reading malai murusu. That was her paper. She ofcourse did listen to the news in the radio as well. We have always bought the newspaper. I still remember when I was newly married and did not have time to read the paper but we still bought it. How could you not buy the newspaper. So thats just part of the scenery I think. The newspaper lying outside the door or in the driveway?!!
    My father visibly gets agitated if he cannot goto the computer and sit down and read the Hindu. He always has a look of satiety after he reads the paper. Its so much a part of his life that its more like having his vitamins. My mother also reads the paper but its her contention that its not the same as holding the paper in her hand and going through it in leisure like she used to..:coffee Do you agree with either one of them??

2. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Dear AC...I could go without my morning cup of milk but not without newspaper, sply "The Hindu". My parents put the habit of reading the newspaper, to us very early when we were in school. I got so addicted to it..that it would be a race to the paper every mornig..b'coz if Appa gets hold of it first...I will have to wait for atleast 1/2 an hour....After marriage, same race or wait for my FIL(he passed away recently) or Husband to finish it.
    Recently, when in India, it was the sudoku, in the last page that kept me hooked and crazy...As it is...I always read the newspaper from the last pg to the first....Well it used to in two rounds...first in the morning just go thru the main news...then later in the evening...read it word by word...ppl used to ask me "Are u mugging up.."

Now that I m in the Gulf, "The Hindu" reading is online for me....but, I too feel...nothing like holding it in the hand and reading.....By the way...the most enjoyable way of reading it for me is to sit of the floor and spread the newspaper in front of me.....

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Having lived all my life in TN, my day begins with steaming coffee-Hindu combination.It has become such a set pattern, to begin the day. Coming from Madurai, Dinamalar is a must read for a tamil paper & that is for a 10 o'clock read.
    I am complusive reader when I have a meal. So, all tamil magazines (I buy a whole lot!) get their turn during breakfast, lunch & dinner. Infact, I allot them suitably, everyday so that there is something to read during every meal.That is one trick to push down all the diet food !
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. kasisheela

kasisheela Silver IL'ite

Dear AC,
    I miss reading Newspaper after moving here to US.Whatever u read online,even Dinamalar has given the exact paper online, its not like holding on the hands and reading the paper.Since i am from Madurai,like chitvish am too a big fan of Dinamalar.Nice blog.

5. Anandchitra

You only had to wait 1/2 hour ..I cannot believe how lucky you are dear Saraswathi..we are definetly kindred souls since i too read from back to front, sit on the floor and spread newspaper in front of me, people used to ask me if I was mugging and dont get me started on SUDOKU..so when shall we meet or should i say where?? I also had to hear both my mother and MIL rant that I read the paper so much to get away from chores!! And really no one in my house especially father and FIL kept the paper down in 1/2 hour OMG they took for ever..thanks for sharing..

6. Anandchitra

You better get prepared to reading online since you might have to do so when you visit me...Chithra.. Yes I too was fond of reading dinamalar..But that was ages ago..Thanks for sharing..

7. Anandchitra

Its not the same ritual as having our Hindu newspaper in hand :coffee dear Shantha.. Do you subscribe to any other magazine online?? They do seem to be doing a very good job with the online format though we "old" readers have to get used to it..I know you are very young and beautiful so it was reference to me ONLY!!:cheers

8. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Dear Ac
    That was a very cute,interesting topic..(wonder from where you get your quota of topics to blog, from! :bowdown)
    I agree with yor mom.. whatever be the technology developements, nothing to beat the pleasure of reading a newspaper directly, of course online only shakehead if there is no other option!)
    I have to wait for the newspaper till 7 am ,bonkso I time my kitchen work appropriately to take a quick glance at the paper as soon as it arrives.:coffee

9. Anandchitra

Maybe I too should time my work appropriately so as to catch things online HoneyBee..thanks so much for the reply..I am glad you agree with MOM..i think thats one of the setbacks for parents visiting children abroad..They have to change their routines and settle for what they might not like..reading newspaper online..Since you are a sweetie bee I will share where from i get my topics. Credit solely goes to my son.he likes to read my blogs and usually suggests a lot of topics..You might want to thank me for not writing every topic he chooses..ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

AC,

Nice blog. Me too on the band wagon for being a paper freak. Dad and me used to fight all the time for the morning paper. Then he got the upper hand for the afternoon papers( MidDay and Afternoon in Mumbai) , which he used to buy. Now i stick to online reading. But then I do read WSJ which we subscribe.

Hey ask your son to pass on the topics to me , i will blog it for him , if you won't!!