1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Razzmatazz-1-

Discussion in 'Interesting Shares' started by sln, Apr 13, 2020.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Razzmatazz-1-

Humour in trying times[sharing what I enjoyed reading.
    [Earlier it was titled The good,bad and the ugly].interesting news reports,whatsup messages which we normally miss are included here
    At the height of the devastating American Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln visited the war front at Fort Stevens to inspect, first-hand, the defences of the Unionist forces. The task of showing the President around fell on a young officer, Oliver. Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. – who would later go on to become a justice of the Supreme Court and an illustrious legal historian and philosopher. But on that morning of July 1864, as young Holmes pointed out the enemy lines in the distance to his President, Lincoln stood up – all 6 feet 4 inches of him plus his stovepipe hat – to have a good look. No sooner, seeing a clear target jutting out,. a volley of fire sputtered from the enemy trenches. Holmes grabbed Lincoln in a flash and dragged him under cover, shouting “Get down, you fool!” Holmes quickly realised what he had said, and to whom, and expected disciplinary action. But Lincoln said disarmingly, “Captain Holmes, I’m glad to see you know how to talk to a civilian.” His gabs crossed the Atlantic as, in reporting about which way the American civil war was going, London’s Saturday Review informed its readers, “One advantage the Americans have is the possession of a President who is not only the First Magistrate, but the chief joker of the land...

Much less is known about the humorous traits of Mahatma Gandhi throughout his struggles, both in South Africa and in India. Mostly regarded as a sombre, no-nonsense person, only those close to him, like Sarojini Naidu or Rajagopalachari, spoke about the funny bones of the Mahatma. Rajagopalachari called Gandhi, “A man of laughter.” Veteran Gandhian Shobhana Radhakrishna, who was born and grew up in Gandhi’s Sewagram, narrated this. When Gandhi was in South Africa, in 1910, the government there treated all non-Christian marriages as invalid. Gandhi mischievously told Kasturba, “This means, you are my mistress.”

Again, while going to attend the Round Table Conference in England, when a reporter asked, “Mr Gandhi, do you think you are properly dressed to meet the King?” The Mahatma had famously quipped, “Do not worry about my clothes. The King has enough clothes on for both of us.”

Humour bloomed in the most strenuous of places at the most unlikely hours. Jokes went round in the damp trenches of the Second World War, while solders cramped together in the ditches, firing and being fired at. Ridicule and irony often underpinned those jests. Here’s one: Hitler and Göring are standing atop the Berlin radio tower. Hitler says he wants to do something to put a smile on Berliners’ faces. So Göring says: “Why don’t you jump?”

The entire world is right now going through a depressing phase. Amidst the scare and death and idiocy and bravery, humour is showing its quirky face. Mostly in social media. Is it an appropriate time for humour, some would ask. It’s one of those questions for which there is no right answer. But through all the arduous spells of human history, humour has always managed to cheat its time, cared two hoots about probity and careened its way, whistling. And the refrain of that whistle, well, can any one put it more poignantly than Abraham Lincoln? “I laugh,” he told to a friend in the darkest of days, “because I must not cry.”

PS-Reproduced from the article by Ashis Dutta-Deccan Herald 11-4-2020

Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for sharing Sir.

That reminds a joke that an MP said in the parliament “half of the honourable members here are fools”. There was an uproar. Speaker ordered that the member should withdraw this statement. There was hue & cry.
    The MP said “ok ok. Half of the honourable members here are not fools”.
    2. A senior member in House of Commons began responding in dragging tone , “ I conceive, .....I conceive... I conceive.....”
    Another member quipped, “ you already conceived three times but yet to deliver”.
    Regards.

3. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Thanks.Humour in a hard hitting and raw form was witnessed when Renuka chowdhury continued her loud chuckling inspite admonition by dy.chairman Shri. Naidu in the Rajya Sabha.PM Modi,undaunted said that " since Ramayan show,we heard this kind of laughter only today[surpanaka in Ramayan serial].There was appreciative as well as embarrassed laughter.This is repartee at its best.
    SLN

Cheeniya and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Thanks.Humour in a hard hitting and raw form was witnessed when Renuka chowdhury continued her loud chuckling inspite admonition by dy.chairman Shri. Naidu in the Rajya Sabha.PM Modi,undaunted said that " since Ramayan show,we heard this kind of laughter only today[surpanaka in Ramayan serial].There was appreciative as well as embarrassed laughter.This is repartee at its best.
    SLN

5. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Lost in translation: A joke :

Once, a Bengali Babu went to Mirza Galib to learn Shayari..
    Then Galib Sahib asked the Bengali babu to repeat after him:
    "Na Gila Karte hai ( Have no complaint)
    Na Shikwa Karte hai...(Have no heart burn)
    Tum Salaamat Raho is duniya me ,( You stay safe in this world)
    Yahi Dua Karte hai" (This is what I pray)
    The Bengali Babu said
    Na Geela Korta hai, ( Neither making you wet)
    Na Sukha Korta hai....(Nor making you dry)
    Tum Saala, Mat Raho is Duniya me (You salaa,(an abuse, brother in law) don't live in this world)
    Yehi Dhua Korta hai" (this is what I pray)
    Galib fainted !!!

6. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Hari Lakhera,
    Thanks.Understanding and wrong usage of language leads to hilarious situations.My relative who visited us in Poona wanted to show that he knew Hindi.When the watchman was not well he asked him-Dimaag theek nai hai instead of Bimar hai.The watchman told us -Saab theek nai hai.We mollified him suitably.
    on another subject-When Aishwarya Rai[31] was asked whether she was still living with her parents she quipped-yes but I dont have to take appointment to join my parents for dinner.A good reply and at the same time emphasising our culture.Regards SLN