1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ravana Is My Role Model!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 24, 2016.

1. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear @Srama
    That was pretty unexpected! Your calling my post 'delightful and a treat' I mean. A big 'Thank you' for it!
    Any incident or a spoken word about a faculty member who is held in high esteem and affection by us is bound to stir up all the pleasant memories of the past. We had a Botany Professor by name Dr.B.G.L Swamy in Presidency College where I studied in the early '60s. He was the Head of the Department of Botany then and subsequently became the Principal of the College just around the time I was leaving the College. He was so wedded to his plants on which he was doing some research and the Principal's room which used to be barren during the previous incumbent's time became virtually a botanical garden during Dr.Swamy's time. My classmates used to describe his room as the Lal Bagh of Chennai.

Sometime back, I happened to google for his name for some purpose and all the laudatory things that Wikipedia said about him made me immensely happy. His book, among the many he authored, Hasiru Honnu won him the Kendriya Sahitya Academy Award. The book speaks about the abundant riches and the endless variety of the botanical world and the hundred ways it helps humans. As the Principal, he was rarely seen outside his room and the picture of Dr.Swamy going round with a pipe is clearly etched in my mind.

The Travellers Palm is a beauty to behold. But will a Ravana in that shape be pleasant to look at particularly when we are conditioned to accept him with a single neck supporting ten heads spread laterally? I should think he would be better off as the Travellers Palm as that would give him easy access to the individual parts of each of his heads like when he felt an itching in any of his twenty ears!
    Sri

3. Cheeniya

@shyamala1234
    My dear syamala
    It is nice of you to think of me as a gifted writer but I am neither gifted nor a writer. I am just a rambler just as everyone else of my age group. The others may ramble vocally and I do so in writing! My vertigo is real and so is my tryst with the Doctor. I just add a bit of my 'stuff' to make it readable as otherwise it would look like a 'discharge summary'. I do enjoy my visits to the Doctor as he is such a fun to be with. He even slaps me on my back if I don't follow his advice. Probably one of these days, he may even wring my ears and I eagerly look forward to it! I agree with the Telugu poet Sri Sri that anything is a suitable subject for writing. And I must add that anything is ideal for rambling!

At my age, ailments cannot be avoided but they can be made entertaining. When I talk to my Doctor about my vertigo, he invariably asks me whether my vertigo involves my room spinning around me or my spinning around the room. I believe these two are different conditions caused by different segments of the brain and required different lines of treatment! Whether the room is spinning around me or I assume that function, to an outsider I would appear stationary. My little group in the club has three or four vertigo sufferers and my friends refer to us as spinners. An outsider overhearing our conversation might think that we are former cricketers!
    Sri

Poetlatha likes this.
  4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mr Cheeniya,
    Entering late here has its advantages as the feedback also gives more information on Ravana like the one given by @jayasala42 who is a treasure trove like Google. Other fbs also along with your writeup relieves stress.
    I hate to have appointments with doctors and avoid as far as possible. For more than three weeks I was having severe cold, cough and intermittent fever. Though from day one I started my self medication along with all home remedies prescribed by friends and relatives there was no relief.
    My daughter pretended that she wanted to go for BP check up and also took me along with her for check up. The doctor simply asked me what medicines I took and then told me to demonstrate how I coughed. Then he asked me what colour of mucus secreted from my nose. I blurted out that it was like yellow pearl colour.
    He didn't even bother to check up with stethe, simply wrote an antibiotic and a cough syrup and handed over the prescription. I handed over a new 500 rupee note to him as his fees.

Again I Have an appointment fixed by my daughter day after tomorrow for BP check up as she feels that I am looking too weak and tiresome and it might be due to hypertension.
    Hope I have not digressed from the topic. Ravana your role model.

PS

5. Cheeniya

@jayasala42
    Dear jayasala
    Finally Vasishtar has called me a Brahmarishi! I mean your calling my present ramble as 'Fantastic'. Thank you very much jayasala. I agree with all that you have said about Ravana. The great stage actor Manohar staged a play called 'Ilangeswaran' and it is all about Ravana and his nobility. His intention was not to belittle the virtues of Rama but only to bring into focus the greatness of Ravana. This story is based on Ananda Ramayana. Ananda Ramayana is a Sanskrit text traditionally ascribed to the sage Valmiki, who is also credited with the Adbhuta Ramayana, Valmiki Ramayana, and the Yoga Vasishta. Manohar tweeked Ananda Ramayana a little and presented Sita as the daughter of Ravana who is made to desert her in the distant Mithila as it is told that Sita would be the cause of his death.

Incidentally both in Ramayana and Mahabharatha, the battle scenes are shown in such a way that we are left with sympathising with Ravana, Inderjit, Duryodhan and Karna. My good friend OJ had sent me a book, Meghnad Badh Kavya written by the eminent scholar Michael Madhusudan Dutt. This is supposed to be a classic in Bengal and talks about the tragic killing of Meghnad (Inderjit). It certainly creates a lump in the throat. Interestingly both Ravana and Duryodhan were shown as rulers without a blemish in the epics!

If you go to Google, you will find that Ravana and Inderjit are names commonly used all over the country. I am only reminded of the saying that there is nothing good or bad and only thinking makes it so. My fascination for Ravana is not based on his character but on his ability to keep his necks healthy, an art in which I have miserably failed!
    Sri

Poetlatha likes this.
  6. Dreamer

Dreamer Silver IL'ite

Wow! I like surprising stories and you killed it with this one!

7. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

So he 'doodled' too! :wink::tongueclosed::laughing:
    Why didn't you share with us his 'Ravenala doodle' ?? :yum:

Hmmmmm Doodles did bring you out of writer's block! :tongueclosed: Joking, fun read it was! Glad you are doing okay too! :)

Poetlatha and satchitananda like this.
  8. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

9. Cheeniya

Thank you Pratyusha. I am happy that you enjoyed my rambling!
    Sri

10. Cheeniya

Dear Rith
    Good to hear that you enjoyed reading this rambling of mine. I don't suffer from vertigo anymore. I actually enjoy it. It is my free 'Merry-go-round' in my second childhood!
    Sri

Srama likes this.