1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ravana Is My Role Model!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 24, 2016.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@ojaantrik
    My dear OJ

I don’t go with rumours. Even if it has to do with word count in IL posts. So the talk of demonetization of the Rs.500 bills or for that matter the ancient yellow coloured two anna square coins never really bothered me. I loved them and trusted them. I was also crazy about the quarter anna copper coin with a hole in the centre like the Polo mints. Even if they were demonetized, they were certainly collector’s items. Coming to your old uncle whose geriatric status was most eloquently expressed by you in two lines, it reminded me of the opening lines of the story of Androcles and the Lion in my school text book. ‘Long long ago, so long ago, nobody can say how long ago’ was how the story started. But your introduction of your uncle was a lot better than that of Androcles. But your uncle was obviously made of sterner stuff than Androcles as I can see from the ruthless manner in which he dealt with the shop keeper. Androcles had a far easier time with the Lion because the animal felt obliged to him thanks to an earlier favour it received from him.

Talking of velocity of circulation, I find that in my case, it is faster than the speed of light. Many times, I just see Rs.500 bills whizzing past me in a blur. The velocity of circulation was very eloquently described in an old Tamil film song which goes like this:

“kaiyila Vaanginaen Paiyila Podalae
    kaasu Pona Idam Theriyalae”

Roughly translated in my English, it says “I got it (the money) in my hand, I didn’t even put it in my pocket and I don’t know where the money has gone!”
    When they travel at the speed of light, where is the time for me to examine if the note is genuine or fake?

I have now heard from you that the first Doctor’s visit went off well to your full satisfaction. The ophthalmologist’s visit would have been over yesterday and I am sure that he has not found anything to declare you as visually challenged. Your hindsight, foresight, near sight and far sight must be all excellent and you can sight a fly sitting a 100 meters away. If your Doctor decides to wind up his Kolkata visits, you can always come to Chennai for your consultation. You will receive a Royal welcome here! A music loving Doctor is a boon really. With tastes so refined as necessary for an appreciation of music, you can safely trust him with your eyes.

Talking of vinyl dics, I have a huge collection of LP records. I don’t use them anymore and you can take what you like when you come here next. I spent a fortune collecting them but then with the mindboggling collection of songs available on the net, I hardly ever play them these days. One click and I can hear all the songs that I love from the net. I wish to acquire a Bose System for my desktop to complete my listening pleasure.

About that drink invite from your Doctor, you need not have worried about the destruction of your liver. From experience I know that when Doctors invite you for a drink, it will not be alcoholic. I had a similar invite from my Doctor once. I went there with a lot of expectations. Black Label, Chivas, Hennessey and the like paraded before my eyes. When I rang the bell, the door opened and I was ushered in by his servant. The Doctor joined me in seconds and after some interminably long chit chat, he finally asked me what I would like to drink. When I was just clearing my throat to enquire what kind of collection he had, he said that he had mango, pineapple, guava, apple, and pomegranate juices. As a Doctor, his recommendation was Guava juice and for reasons known only to him, he winked at me!

I am not saying anything more on Ravan because we have already discussed him threadbare. I wonder if your eye doctor had read any of Parashuram’s stuff. If so, that will be an ideal platform to consolidate your friendship with him. During my school days, we had a series of films involving Doctors like Doctor in the House, Doctor at Sea, Doctor in Love, Doctor at Large etc. featuring Dirk Bogarde, James Robertson Justice and Joan Sims. They were all quite hilarious. These movies helped me to outgrow my animosity towards Doctors and over a period of time, I became close enough with them to share jokes on medical fraternity.

A visit to a Doctor goes a long way in promoting our feeling of well being provided we have something of interest other than our health to discuss with him. If the subject of discussion is as farther away from our health condition as the subject of Ravan, the visit to the Doctor could be most satisfying. In turn, we may feel quite reassured about our fitness!
    Sri

vaidehi71, shyamala1234 and ojaantrik like this.
  2. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Sri. This is a fascinating reply to my wayward fb. Just shows you continue to be a master in the art of writing.

I will not make this a long fb. Deliberately so, since I wrote a long fb and forced you to come up with a long reply. It's a drawn match, as far as length goes.

Regarding the doctors, I was surprised that you remembered the dates. Yes indeed. I went to the retina surgeon yesterday and he declared that while the membrane in my left retina remains in questionable state, my vision hasn't changed since the time he examined me last time, around a year ago. The hole in the right retina remains healed by the laser surgery he did. He asked me to go and dance around if I wished to, but reminded me not to leave my wife behind.

So, hopefully we shall be travelling to Ashoka University in Sonepat in Haryana. Unless something goes wrong in the meantime.

I am impressed by the velocity of circulation of your 500 rupees notes. Speed of light? Why not? You are light personified. How I wish I could travel to Chennai and be back at the speed of light! Every now and then.

I am not mentioning Ravan either. IL has extracted all the juice out of Ravan.

oj

vaidehi71 and shyamala1234 like this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Oj da, (@ojaantrik)

One way to do this, what you mentioned here is, just by reading the master here :)

ojaantrik likes this.
  4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Congrats my dear Anna Ravana has made you cross a century in your thread. You are rocking

vaidehi71 and shyamala1234 like this.
  5. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Cheeniya you should give your PR staff some credits too for bumping the thread at odd hours with odd questions! :wink::tongueclosed::laughing:

shyamala1234 likes this.
  6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,
    Great thread !!!!
    Enjoying immensely. When two stalwarts discuss or argue...what else do we want????
    Syamala

vaidehi71 likes this.
  7. Cheeniya

@kaniths
    Why 'some' credits? I give them all the credits! This thread of mine would have been a non-starter but for my PR staff!
    Sri

kaniths likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

@shyamala1234
    You are always extremely liberal with your appreciation you know! Wish you had been my teacher in the school who was an expert in finding fault like the MIL of a newly married girl!
    Sri