1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Rate Your Saree Draping Skill Level

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by Rihana, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for granting a “LIKE” here to @Rihana @vidhyalakshmid @KashmirFlower . These three contributed often to my cumulative “Likes” A/c.
    I owe a special thanks to Administrator @Induslady for granting a LIKE HERE.

Happy DEEPAVALI/Diwali

2. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

I would say i am still a trainee...

It was a nightmare for me to drape the saree myself long ago...slowly i have picked up. Now i choose the sarees which can be draped easily...

For kanjeeveram's , i still need help ...

Rihana likes this.
  3. godsgp

godsgp Silver IL'ite

Was forever a beginner level and then I discovered the secret delight of prestiched sarees and now I don them to work everyday! so yes I am an ouright cheater and can't rate myself but loving every compliment which comes for being a saree regular!

Rihana and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I would say 2/10 :)

My trick is to pin and let the pallu fall so that the pleats in the bottom saree cannot be seen. That way all flaws are camouflaged.

Neatly pin means saree draping has to be perfect.I still need help.

Rihana likes this.
  5. BeautifulSmile

BeautifulSmile Silver IL'ite

The day I got married, my sister and friend draped. Second day only I went back to hostel so didnt wear after that. But after 10 days, when I went to in laws place, I stood in a room for 30 mins figuring how to drape and half way thru did it reverse and no idea how to untangle that. Fast forward exact 17 years, I am an expert now, for all my neighbors and friends also I do it very nicely. Who taught me: my uncomforted situation forced me into learning as little devil of perfection in me couldn't tolerate just wrapping saree around. Now, in no time I do it.

Rihana, swarnamary and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. swarnamary

swarnamary Gold IL'ite

same pinch.... same pinch... I am still zero at learning this hahahaha.. i let my sil or others do it for me and i will be standing there... hahahah what a shame.. i am taking only 3 selective saree for my upcoming india trip hahahaha..

gknew, Rihana and MalStrom like this.
  7. gamma50g

gamma50g Gold IL'ite

This time I was wearing a saree after 8 years (not kidding!!). Its been about 9 years since I saw someone else wear a saree too. So I forgot which side pleats go.

I had to youtube "how to drape a saree" and omg there are a mind boggling number of ways to drape a simple saree none of which can be easily done without another pair of helping hands!!

8. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

I am totally zero. It's been years since I wore a saree. I think it will be around 7 to 8 years.
    I didn't bring any sarees when I first came to the US. Didn't buy any sarees here.

I felt so bad that I don't know how to drape it perfectly and my kid used to ask me that, why I am not wearing a saree. So I ordered a couple of sarees from India online websites. Stupid me, I just ordered the saree and didn't think about blouse. Never ordered sarees online from India. Learning from mistakes.
    They didn't even cut it the blouse piece from that silly are. Usually if we go to a shop, in my city, they cut the house of and do the knots for the full sarees.

I just got the whole saree pack and I don't know how to put know. I tried to check with baby tailor and they said they don't have time to do Indian blouses. Bought another saree last month from an online sales from social media like simple sarees under Rs.1000. Just got the saree and they don't do blouse stitching too.
    So I ordered an ready made blouse from Amazon and tried to match it. But the color doesn't match well and I have no idea how to stitch the border of sarees as thread keeps coming off. I used to do hem with hands. I don't have a sew machine.

Now I lost interest in sarees and these two sarees are just hanging around. I don't have sarees in India too as I donated each and every saree which I used to wear before 8 years. I much manage with Kurtis during my India trips.

I would say saree draping is really a good art and not everyone is good at it.

swarnamary likes this.
  9. swarnamary

swarnamary Gold IL'ite

you gave away your important sarees too???eventhou i dont use them i kept my wedding,baby shower sarees. not even intending to buy any.. i rather buy more dress...lot more ladies are in the same boat as me... hahahaha :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

gknew likes this.
  10. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

I didn't give away my wedding and reception sarees. Those are the only sarees I have. It's not here with me and it's in India.
    We don't have separate saree for baby shower and In my family, we wore wedding saree for baby shower..so it's the same saree for both occasion.

So I have my engagement, wedding and reception sarees.
    I am thinking what to do with my reception saree. It's full of beads(I don't know how to describe that ) and designer saree. It's not a traditional silk saree. I definitely won't wear it again because it's very rich and full designer saree. And that design is definitely out of fashion now as i wore it a decade before.

I don't know if I can do something with that saree. It's still sitting in the wardrobe after my reception. What do you all do with these type of sarees?

swarnamary likes this.