1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Rashes on 3 weeks old baby's forehead

Discussion in 'Infants' started by ashwinid01, Feb 26, 2014.

1. ashwinid01

ashwinid01 Gold IL'ite

Hi All,

My 3 week old has rashes around his forehead and eyebrows like summer rashes but am in a cold country and maintaining room temperature around 22-23°c. Am not over dressing him either. It was lesser initially and midwife told its normal, but since two days it looks more. my midwife is busy and cant visit me for 2-3 days but it is really bothering me.. His nails have grown a bit and he scratches his face a lot,can that be reason? If i put gloves he starts getting irritated and cries...

Any remedies mommies???

2. oysterzzz

oysterzzz Gold IL'ite

Are you using any rash cream? My LO also used to get rashes like this, our midwife used to say, the kids whose body temp is more will get like this. you can see 1/2/3 white spots on the inner tongue. this is how they would identify. the only remedy is to bath them with warm water. the water should not be very hot. as soon as we did this, the rashes were gone. otherwise i used to get tensed a lot. i stopped the soap, creams, powders and everything but neither of them helped. so finally the rashes were gone, once i started using warm water on her. my kid is now 3 1/2 yrs, even now she doesn't like hot water.

also for nails, used baby nail cutters. otherwise they will scratch themselves very hard.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  3. Sparks

Sparks Bronze IL'ite

By rashes do u mean pimples called baby acne? my son had them when he was 3-4 weeks during winter....all over head and forehead. We were worried but doc said its normal.they went on their own in 1 week...we just stopped using soap for couple of days

4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Ashwini, google for baby acne and see if the images match what your baby has. If yes, its mostly normal unless its an exception. I have never believed in the concept of putting on mitts on babies. Hands are the only way they express themselves. My suggestion for this is to slowly file (not clip) the nails and let them remain mitts-free. When he is napping, consider swaddling to prevent anything happening when you are not watching.

1 person likes this.
  5. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Ashwini... Did you check with ped? It could by eczema which is common...

6. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Baby acne probably...my son had it. Do not use anything soap/oil/moisturizeronhis face.

You can cut his nails to stop him from scratching himself.

7. LuvLadoo35

LuvLadoo35 Gold IL'ite

I also think its baby acne. It comes around this time 3-4 weeks . My Ped has asked us not to apply anything .Just wipe the baby with warm towel. Not sure if your giving him a bath already. Don't overdress which you are already following. It should disappear within a week or so.
    Regarding nails, cut them while the baby is sleeping. That's the best time.At this stage they are pretty easy to be peeled off as well.

8. ashwinid01

ashwinid01 Gold IL'ite

Thank you all for your replies.

Rakhi,Ramya,Sparks,Laddoo,

Baby acne in google images look bigger than what my son has. We give him proper Indian bath weekly 2-3 times and other times we wipe him with warm water dipped towel. From 1 week am not letting my mom bathe him with soap also (penaten). Earlier used to apply coconut oil before bath now since a week stopped that also.

Regarding nails doc n midwife had suggested not to clip off till 5 weeks so waiting.

Ya Rakhi i also dont feel like putting mitts on his cute lil hands. While sleeping he wont scratch so much but when BFing him is hands shouldnot be controlled by else he stops latching. And when on feed he scratches his face. Will try filing his nails when asleep.

I have doctor appointment on Mar 12th. Will check again.

One more thing whenever he makes any strong movements which involves his face like yawning,or struggling to pass stool his whole face turns really very very red. Will this change with time or remain that way.

9. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

With my DD it stayed that way until about a year Ashwini. Once she started going to the daycare, her complexion had come from fair to wheatish. Thats about when we stopped noticing the red flush on her face when something like yawning etc are done. Now its noticeable only when she cries (which happens very rarely).

1 person likes this.
  10. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Yes ashwini it common for babies to go red while doing strong movements it starts easing out after 3 months or so....but this is nothing to worry...