1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Rash on 4 week old baby's skin

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Butterflie, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Butterflie

Butterflie Bronze IL'ite

My newborn has this rash on her face, around neck , stomach and back. Her eyes are swollen and red. I took her to the pediatrician and she says it is heat rash and advised me to use a humidifier and keep the room temp at 72f .
    The rash was there since a week and i happened to notice that it was aggravated after using Johnson's baby oil. I stopped it the next day.
    She also said it could be eczema. It just broke my heart.
    1.Do humidifiers really help with this problem? Do vaporisers also work that efficiently for the same problem? Any good brands around?
    2. Her body seems very hot to me when im feeding her. We are all shivering due to ac and she is still hot. She doesnt have a temp though, just hot.Traditionally people used sandalwood paste to cool infants body. Im scared as hell to try out anything. Are there any foolproof methods for this problem?
    3. Doc told to only use cotton clothes and one piece body suits. But bodysuits seems to make the rash worse, since she is all packed up. Am i just imagining things?
    4. Im using aveeno moisturiser. Can she also be allergic to it? Are there any safe creams to use? She cries a lot when i apply the cream to her dry skin.
    5. She is scratching her face a lot and it happens to make the problem worse. I use gerber mittens and they lost the elastic quickly. Can anybody suggest a good brand of mittens?

2. Lavanya30

Lavanya30 Silver IL'ite

Hi Butterflie,

Donot panic, Baby Eczema is very common in US, my son also developed it when he was 4-5 weeks. I know its very scary to see baby's skin developing these rashes.

Please use cool mist humidifier, as that is better, It worked well with my little fellow. I suggest you use Aveeno Eczema Therapy cream and not the normal moisturizer, it really helped my son. I suggest consult the doctor before you use sandal wood paste.

1 person likes this.
  3. theoffice

theoffice Bronze IL'ite

Did u try eczema cream.
    When my LO was 6 weeks old, he got mild rashes like pricky heat. One of my pead said it's some food allergy thru my milk and asked me to switch to formula. But I did not, I consulted other doc over the phone, she suggested aveeno eczema cream, and it worked.

You should try eczema cream.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. theoffice

theoffice Bronze IL'ite

U can put socks instead of mittens.

5. Butterflie

Butterflie Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for the quick responses ladies..
    Can i go ahead and use the eczema cream without consulting the doctor? I have an appointment next week.

6. theoffice

theoffice Bronze IL'ite

Nope, just try eczema cream. No need for pead advice. I see u r in us. Call ur practice on phone, if want to confirm.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  7. Lavanya30

Lavanya30 Silver IL'ite

Aveeno eczema cream is available over the counter and it's safe. Please use it, if you still find the rashes, please consult the doc.

8. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

OP, my dd who was mainly fb with formula topup developed severe eczema when I started drinking a mums milk formula that someone brought for me from India. I stopped it and the rash started healing; it got worse when i drank just one cup of that again a week later. So, check your diet for any changes.

if aveeno doesn't make it better ask your doctor about cetaphil. For my dd, because it was extremely severe, she was given 3 different steroid creams in varying order of strengths. One to use when the rash was very mild. One for the severe rashes on the face and a stronger one for the severe rashes on the rest of her body. Of course I was advised not to use these creams constantly but use them for a week till the skin healed and juggle them with the moisturiser or less strong creams...

Once the rashes went away, baby aveeno worked well.

You might also want to try cloth nappies and a loose indian style cotton top. My dd used to get very hot as well and would only stop crying if we took her near an open window in just her nappy even when the temp was below 10deg C.

A friend of mine installed a water softner in her apartment and told me that it completely fixed her son's eczema.

I am am not sure about oils. My dd would come up in rashes till she was about 8-9 months old after which olive / almond/ gingelly oils really helped. For your little one you might want to wait till your child is at least 6 to 8 weeks old before you try it.

1 person likes this.
  9. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I faced the exact same challenge with my daughter.

I tried sandalwood paste since doctors said it might be heat rash. Sandalwood paste caused dryness. Also we were worried about applying it generously for fear of baby catching cold.

I tried different oils: coconut oil, baby oil, gingelly oil etc...but learned that oil causes the rashes to increase.

I stopped using body suits and made baby wear jablas or indian style new born clothes. DD was happy in them. If you do not have them switch to sleeveless onesies in a bigger size. Loose clothes cause lesser irritation.

I tried aveeno eczema cream/moisturizer. DD was allergic to aveeno products. Doctor suggested Aquaphor baby diaper rash cream as moisturizer. The cream looks like vaseline and it is very sticky to apply. But it does work well.

Trim her nails every 3-4 days. This will help.

At the end of all this experimentation I tried changing my diet. I eliminated wheat products completely. All the rashes cleared up in a week and did not come back.

2 people like this.
  10. Butterflie

Butterflie Bronze IL'ite

Thank you ladies.. I did buy the eczema cream but im really sceptical about using it. The rash has not gone down one bit . I called the doctor today and im expecting her call back. I have an appointment on monday and will definitely ask about some ointments.