1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Random Thoughts!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Jun 29, 2021.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Just yesterday, as I drove my DD from grocery shopping at 9.30 in the night, I was startled to see the bright shining ‘star’ in the sky. I frantically began to figure the direction out, as I tried to understand what planet it was. I have been remiss about the stars and the skies. I was startled to realize it must be Venus, the evening star for now and that direction must be west. It is not me you know, not to keep my eyes heavenward even as I drive – be it for those birds or planes or contrails or simply the clouds. I have been busy, unbelievably busy, missing the full moons, star light and the lightning bugs.

I am glad the weather is nice enough that I can pick a book and sit outside first thing in the morning even as the sun rises to say a cheery good morning. Having read a poem out loud, as I sit in my egg chair I close my eyes. I hear the birds chirping away, so many sounds around me still, though the cicadas have decided to go underground again for the next seventeen years. The sound of pond water flowing gently even as I hear the gentle buzz of some traffic not far away. I feel the soft breeze blow across my face. It is still early in the morning. I smile and think – the beauty of that moment, the wind only touching softly, not penetrating me yet making its mark. How beautiful would that be if we only can manage to touch others in their lives and give those moments of joy and nothing more - gentle, soft and caring. Though it was on a whim that I had chosen to read the poem out loud, I was pleasantly surprised as to how much I had enjoyed that, and I realize that poetry must be read out loud – to feel the words and the emotions.

I have been enjoying reading “autobiography of Benjamin Franklin”, only to put it aside every now and then to read some poetry or philosophy. As much as I am in awe of the founding fathers of America especially this one and others, I realize that as much a difference as they make to the world and touch lives, as I recite Elizabeth Browning’s ‘How do I love thee”, I realize that the Brownings of the world touch souls – one soul at a time and only if you happen to get a chance to read their works – like that soft breeze or sunshine or a bird chirping, touching us only if we choose to sit out and enjoy!

upload_2021-6-28_21-26-13.png upload_2021-6-28_21-26-18.png
    As I come into the house after my reverie, I check for messages and there is one from a Swamini I know with a picture of two cats [​IMG]followed bythis message – “these are the two members of our ashram. “Sam” and ‘Sara”. Together they are ‘Samsara”! I smile. I love her sense of humor, I look at the sink with dishes and ready for my samsara obligations.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2021
    Amica, Laks09 and shyamala1234 like this.

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

dear Sabitha,
    You have a gift of enjoying nature....every small thing. Connecting with nature is very soothing from Samsara obligations from which there is no escape....however mundane they may be. I have yet to meet someone who enjoys dishwashing or cleaning!!! So, sitting in the porch and reading poetry is a great elevator of mood.
    We had one of the sonnets by Elizabeth Barret Browning in college. Then we studied about her biography too. Robert Browning and she falling in love with each other. She was bedridden and he used to visit her.
    Enjoyed reading and watching nature along with you in the middle of traffic sounds from the road in front of our complex. For a while got carried away to a different world....and then samsara again!!!
    Syamala

Srama likes this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Awww! That's such a heart warming feedback dear Syamala! Thank you for assuring me that the snippet transported you to a different world. Interestingly, I don't remember anything about my English class in college, including the professors, forget what we studied. I love reading poetry out oud - i do it often in my classroom and many a time, students take over and attempt too. It is a skill - to learn and to enjoy.

Thank you my friend, as always for always being there, responding.