1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ramdev and Ramanuja - A Study In Contrast

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Jun 24, 2011.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Malar,
    Our holy men these days are not that holy. In fact I am allergic to holy men. Any day I'll fall at the feet of a housewife managing a tight financial budget and struggling hard to bring up her children than falling at the feet of somebody like Baba Ramdev.
    Honestly Malar to manage a family these days is a much more difficult feat than some exotic yogic posture.

At the same time we should not forget our tradition. we had the holiest of men in our midst, men who were absolutely selfless and had enormous spiritual strength.

Judging from your reply I think I have made a point here. My Guru's daughter has mailed this blog to all her friends and relatives.
    I am really happy that there is some kind of awareness.
    thanks for being the first to respond to this blog.
    sridhar uncle

2. jayanthisathish

jayanthisathish Bronze IL'ite

Dear Varalotti,
    Again an informative and thought provoking blog !!!
    Thanks for sharing the information gained from your teachers’ speech…
    Our spiritual history and literature speaks of hundreds of saints who thought and taught about nothing other than the eternal power above us and lived up to their words.
    Neither did they invite any followers or devotees to preach what they want to communicate nor were the powerful media at those times competing to telecast their every move on their channels. Common people were impressed by their devotion to God and they succumbed themselves to the holy path. They did not dump crores ad crores of rupees for this holy task .
    The Anti-corruption Campaign by Hazare gave the Indian politics a strong punch and hit them 'Check'. He was a freedom fighter who would have gone through all the bad times during the british reign and has posted his request to govt selflessly. But the new campaigns that began thenafter are all just to show the world their people strength, monetary power and mass-attraction capability . These are all just soap bubbles - would look colourful as the suns rays passes on it but short-lived.
    As far as public is concerned...
    People like us - we watch a lot through media, we are aware of all the wrong things and about the wrong doers. So when someone rises his hand and says "Lets Fight against Corruption", people join him with the thought "I could not do it individually. Let me at least support". The thought is right but the place where it is applied ?? People should spend sometime to think if that person is reliable and good enough to be supported.
    Spirituality is not an Entrance Exam coaching to be taught for varying fees world wide. It is a guide that will show us the path of righteousness for peaceful living.
    We should wake up and take a resolution to never encourage any spiritual preacher/preaching, when there is a cost associated with it.

3. varalotti

Dear Saras,
    Though I knew the individual incidents the idea of comparison emanated from my revered Guru. The conjuring up was done by him; and as usual I did the packing and shipping.

In my next book I have devoted a lot of chapters for Ethirajar. I have focused on specific events where his love is brought out very clearly.

thanks for coming in Saras and for the nice compliments,
    love,
    sridhar

4. varalotti

Thanks, rgs. I have read about almost all the clients. The moment I hear the word Ramanuja my eyes become full. I am grateful to my Lord who gave me the greatest blessing of knowing about the Saint.
    Well when I start writing about him, the events write themselves and I don't have any say in that. In fact even while writing this blog I cried several times.
    Ramanujasya charanam saranam prapathye.
    sridhar

5. varalotti

Hi vjb,
    We should know about all the Saints who lived in this great country, more particularly Ramanuja.
    We have to give credit to Ramdev that he has given an awareness to the people.
    If only he had been spiritually strong then his fasting would have had an impact on the Government.
    We don't what part of Ramdev's wealth of Rs. 1100 crores is black and what part is white.
    And we can't eliminate black money without eliminating corruption.
    Right from traffic police to RTO to Registrar's Office, everybody is corrupt. Naturally black money can't be avoided.
    thanks for coming in vjb,
    sridhar

6. varalotti

Kerman,
    Ultimately people get the leaders they deserve. People of the 11th century got Ramanuja. And we, I think deserve, Ramdev, Sonia Gandhi et al.
    but I am confident that India would come up again and soon we will see great leaders in our land.
    thanks for coming in Kerman,
    sridhar

7. varalotti

Hello srimathi,
    thanks for the nice fb. There are only two fundamental requirements for a reformer. One is love for fellow human beings and the other is a tremendous spiritual strength. Once a man starts accumulating money he loses both these qualities.

This Friday it's going to be a totally different blog. Stay tuned.
    thanks for coming in.
    sridhar

8. varalotti

Thanks a lot Malar for endorsing Rgs' compliments.
    Your fb gives a very balanced view of the state of affairs. If we blindly support whatever is done in the name of Hinduism then we'll be the losers.

Swami Chinmayananda roared more than fifty years ago, "If some asks you to do a sacrifice you'll soon see somebody coming with a plate to collect sacrificial offering."
    We don't need a middleman to God. A saint has to play the role of a God. But these modern day sanyasis roll in money and at times roll with the actresses. They neither have the spiritual discipline nor the love.

I never visit any of the sanyasis. Once thanks to my friend's insisting I stood in a long queue to meet Saibaba. That was 25 years ago, A foreigner was standing behind me.
    An Ashram Administrator approached the foreigner and asked him, "Do you want a private audience with Baba?" The foreigner nodded and went behind him. And I walked out of the queue not minding the shouting of my friend. I never went to see Saibaba again.
    Missed you a lot and nice to see you again,
    sridhar

9. varalotti

Thanks Suresh. You can share. But please give credit to my Teacher Dr.Arangarajan and me (Varalotti Rengasamy) in your references.
    sridhar

10. varalotti

Dear Vidya,
    thanks. Many people are not aware of these incidents. That's why I have put up all these incidents in my next book.
    Of course Ramdev is not as bad as others. But even then if you accumulate wealth, collect money then you favour rich persons to poor people. I don't think Ramdev would have paid taxes on his Rs.1100 crores wealth.
    that's the state of affairs.
    thanks for coming in,
    sridhar