1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Rakhi: Den n now

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by shraddha2704, Aug 11, 2011.

1. shraddha2704

shraddha2704 Bronze IL'ite

In my 27 years of life, Rakhi was just an occasion to make money. Each year i would wait excitedly for rakhi, coz it would make me richer. When i was younger, it made me richer by 100-200 bucks. Den 500, later 1000 and after sum time i lost count. Nevertheless, it was just an ocassion when i made money, my brother got a little poorer, my family got 2gether, had good food, wore new clothes, cracked jokes, gossipped and laughed. The brother-sister bandhan and its celebration was completely lost on me.

Thats untill now, when i know i will no longer be doing any of it. Not only will der be no get 2gethers, No good food, no laughing and no gossip, but more importantly, der will be no1 to tie a rakhi, no1 to pull my leg, and no1 to make me richer.

All des years when i could tie a rakhi on my brothers hand, i never realised how lucky i am. Afterall rakhi was just a thread to me. The tikka and chawal was tacky and so artificial. I couldnt understand why females made a fuss when they cudnt tie a rakhi to their brothers. To me it was unnecessary melodrama. Tieing a thread was so superficial. Loving your brother is from the heart and one doesnt need a festival to prove it.

I aint wrong either. I love my brother and no matter how far i am, ill still wish the best for him. But i so so want to tie my brother a rakhi on rakshabandhan. I want to put a tilak and chawal on his forehead. I want to do the ritualistic aarti to ward off evil. I want to push a big laddoo down his throat and squeeze dry his pockets...... and i know i cant do any of it. Its gonna be a lonely rakhi. Me, my hubby and my baby.

I feel sad and moreso because my daughter may never experience what fun it is to tie a rakhi to one's brother when in India. If i have a son later, she can do it here as well. But its never gonna b like what it is in India. She may never understand what fun it is when the family gets 2gether, what fun it is in dressing up and what fun it is to get richer and make ur brother poorer. even if its a mere 100 bucks.

I wish i cud give my daughter des experiences. I realise slowly what i am missing and what my daughter will miss. Atleast i have memories to remember. But i mite not be able to give even memories to my daughter. Im sorry my daughter. Des are things money cant buy........

2. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

A very touching post Shraddha. I don't know much about Rakhi except from what I see in the movies. But it must be fun to have a special day to mark the bond between brothers and sisters. Don't worry, even if your brother is far away, I'm very sure they are still close in your heart...and I'm also sure that you are always in their mind too, regardless of it being a Rakhi day or not.

3. shashiv

shashiv Gold IL'ite

Dear Shraddha,

Enjoyed your blog. I too dont know much about Rakhi except i know its ties a bond between a brother and sister. No matter what the love and relationship is always there.

Shanti

4. SM11870

SM11870 Silver IL'ite

Dear Shradha,

Extremely thoughtful..!while going thru I felt as if each my thoughts were put down to words.Today being rakhi I was also remembering my brother (though he is younger to me but on rakhi me n my sister used to loosen his pockets).As you said "Atleast i have memories to remember'',I too feel the same but I have nothing to give my dear son who couldnt get a rakhi coz my sister,cousins all have a son each-destiny's wish,we are helpless.

Nobody can ever substitute the relation a sister shares with her brother.Hope our next generation could understand it.

Shruti

5. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Dear shraddha,

Very nice blog. You start telling your daughter about indian culture and particularly about this type of bandhan and get together and the affection of blood relation. surely your daughter will ask questions and she will feel the happiness and the enjoyment that you had in your life.

6. shraddha2704

shraddha2704 Bronze IL'ite

hey shruti,
    nice to know u cud connect to my post. All i wanna say is i realized what i had only when i lost it. How will my daughter know what she is missing, is she never even comes close to gettin it???????????