Rajiv Gandhi International Airport is officially opened

Discussion in 'Andhra Pradesh' started by Nandshyam, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

2. vkrithika1

vkrithika1 Gold IL'ite

hi,

Bangalore airport is getting delayed.I thought i would land in new airport while i come in april.I was eagerly waiting to see the international airport.But it is getting delayed due to some work pending.

3. DudeWithAttitude

DudeWithAttitude New IL'ite

Finally a big milestone accomplishment. Let us just hope we all maintain it well. Now we just need faster commute to/from the airport, otherwise we may have to leave home 5-6 hours before departure.

4. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    That's great news! The airport looks awesome! :)

Thank you!

5. sarada

sarada Senior IL'ite

Yes!!! The airport looks good..
    But now I need to start for airport atleast 5 hrs before (previously its only 2 hrs :( ) and hopefully the traffic problems will be resolved when the airport is fully functional..
    There is an article in the rediff abt the airport..
    rediff.com: The classy new Hyderabad international airport
    according to the pictures, the airport really looks good.

Was waiting for metros and dedicated coaches to be started!!

By the way, the maintenance charges (or what ever they call )for international passengers (US $25) has been implemented? Any body travelling via Shamshabad? Hows the experience. Would be great if you can share with us.

6. vase

vase Senior IL'ite

Hi Nandshyam

Thanks for posting this here. Looks like you and others posted here have high opinions of the airport... but we people living here know about the daily chaos going on:-(Witsend

1) Traffic & Connectivity
    Though the website shows the connectivity details, it's actually chaos since the roads in B-Hills, Masab Tank, Mehdipatnam(MP) , Tolichowki etc are just jam-packed in the evenings... it would take atleast a year for the expressway from MP to get completed to smoothen out the chaos...

2) Local travel charges - It is around Rs 90 from the airport till SD hospital near MP. Even though there are pick-up-and-drop buses / taxis plying (which have added to the above traffic), they have limited pick-up / drop points. So one needs to plan for other options if you have go further to your destination.

3) Heard that the USer Dev charges will be added soon to each traveller

4) The parking charges are pretty high (it was high even in the old b'pet airport)

International travellers have no other go but all domestic travellers have started thinking twice before making plans to travel by air.

Added to that, the newspapers have some story or the other daily on the activities in the new airport.... Sure, there would be lots of teething issues at the start ...but hope all would settle down soon and we would definitely have a world class airport....:)

It is one thing to boast to have a truly world-class airport and another thing to make sure that necessary infrastructure is in place for smooth operation of the same...Not sure when the Indian bureacrats, who are supposed to run the govt, will learn...

Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  7. slp807

slp807 Bronze IL'ite

Hope each and everyone will maintain the airport in a good condition.

I am eagerly waiting for my chance to travel back to Hyd so that i can catch the glimpse of the airport :))

vase--- getting to the airport in the traffic is big deal, and heard that the traffic is getting worse day by day near Masab Tank and MP area.Previously it used to take one and half hour to reach Begumpet now i cant imagine the time.....

8. sarada

sarada Senior IL'ite

Hi Vase,
    What you told is exactly correct.. I heard the same views from my cousins who stay in hyderabad.

For me, i can opt to travel to Chennai instead of hyderabad if the traffic is so worse , because My parents and inlaws stay in Vijayawada and for us both the cities are almost at same distance..
    Now that the new airport is so far, travelling from airport to city and then going to railway station will be a bit hassel.. unless we hv frequent domestic flights. may be we may not consider travelling to hyd itself..

Most of the ppls views are the same. if they are not staying in hyd..
    Hopefuly, govt can do something over this..

9. pranitha

pranitha New IL'ite

Hey gals I do agree with u all,though the airport is awesome ,the travelling time is more .Hopeful the govt and GMR will take proper steps to give good connectivity to the airport from various parts of the city.I guess we cannot expect everything to come up with in a day,takes time for a country like India where politcians play crucial role in evrything.But my opinion is this is really going to be very awesome ,pretty friendly and clean .It is actually the duty of every person to keep our treasures clean n friendly.
    I presume that everything will be clear within few months and I do think GMR is also aware of the transportation facilities available and steps to be taken to upgrade it.
    Regarding the charges for the parking etc, it s quiet obvious they charge more to maintain the airport .........well iam sorry if i crossed my limits,iam positive and hopefully this will be a good asset to Hyd as well as to the nation.:hiya

Thanks &regards

10. keeru123

keeru123 New IL'ite

The airport looks awesome!