1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Raining Freebees

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

If it is polls freebees must rain, at least in Tam il Nadu. Take the R.K.Nagar asdsenbly poll in TN, one candidate who is contesting under the pressure cooker symbol has reportedly offered pressure cooker for votes, leaving those who are contesting under the flowe and leaves symbol high and dry. For they have nothing to offer but flowers, leaves and few thousand bucks per vote.

If the voters expect a pressure cooker from a guy with pressure cooker symbol, where will their demands end? As I was thinking this, there was a loud knock on my door, a totally dishevelled and sweating guy rushed in panting.

“Couldn’t you have rung the bell instead of knocking o n the door?” I asked him “And by the way, do I know you?”

“Don’t you remember me?” he said looking pathetically “ I am one of the candidates here. I came two days ago, asking for your vote. Sorry I didn’t remember the bell in my panicky state. Do you mind bolting the door”?

“What is the matter? Are the cops after you for distributing money to the voters?”

“Nope. It is een worse. The voters are after me.”

“What for? Now don’t tell me that you have topped their popularity charts and they are coming after you to adore you”

“Nothing of that sort, They want freebees”

“Aw come on. What kind of candidate are you if you can’t throw a few thousand bucks at each voter?”

“You didn’t get me right. They don’t want money. They want freebees. They say the candidate with pressure cooker symbol is giving thrm pressure cookers. So thEy want my symbol as freebees.”

“So go ahead and give it. Obviously you have something concrete as symbol. So go ahead and give it and garner votes”

You don’t understand “ he said. “My symbol is a cr. Do you expect me to buy every voter a car. I’l be Neck deep in debt”

“In that case don’t give them the car. Just ask them to buy their own cars and promise to pay the EMI of each voter on being elected as MLA”.

“But I can’t afford to pay all their EMIs” he said piteously.

“ You seem to be a real amateur in politics.” I said.” “No truie blooded politician fulfils his /her promise to the voters. In politics it is very bad form to keep your word. Of late there have been promises ranging from Rs 15 lakh in every Indian’s account within 100 days of coming to power to development. Have these promises been kept”?

The neta wannabe fell at my feet. “You are my real political guru. I’ll never forget you after getting elected”. Another candidate’s promise to be broken, I thought.

As he was leaving, my wife rushed in. “Help!” She screamed. “The BSP candidate is standing outside”

“What is rong with it?” IU asked when I heard a loud trumpeting sound.

“He is offering a freebee . His party symbol. He is standing there with an elephant. “. I heard a loud crash as the pachyderm marched in breaking through my front wall.

`”T-rex? What do you mean by ‘Thank God T-rex is not an election symbol? ‘ . T-rex has been extinct for millions of years and no one has thought of it as an election symbol” the wife said shaking me awake.

2. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

This is so hilarious Balajee . Some things never change ! Who should we blame though ? Those crooks who continue to fool the masses with the freebies or the masses who will vote for these crooks over and over again expecting different results . Isn’t that called insanity ?

kaniths, Archanaanchan and kkrish like this.
  3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

:roflmao::roflmao:
    Aiyoo Balajee
    It was very hard drinking my coffee and reading your post.
    I was giggling so much I was afraid all the coffee would end up on the table and not in my tummy.

Once again, "Konnutel pongo!":beer-toast1: (Equivalent of "fantabulous" for the non-Tamilians)

4. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Balajee sir,

Before elections, they chase every voter and try to lure him to vote, but once in power, they get so busy chasing their personal targets that they won't have time for ordinary citizens like us. so it makes sense to 'sell' votes! Who has the time for the nation, anyway?

5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

Thank you for this hilarious post about R.K.Nagar election in Tamil Nadu. I never knew the symbols will have a profound impact in terms of cost of being a candidate in the election. AIADMK can easily give two leaves, Pattali Makkal Katchi can distribute Mangoes, Vijaykanth can give away "Nagara" and Vaiko can easily distribute "Tops" to the children. What would the "Rising Sun" party do as a give away?

I am just imagining your wife asking you to cook for the elephant you got for free in your dream. :) At least because of love, your wife and daughter may appreciate your cooking but imagine having a family member with significant appetite and you have to keep making rice balls with sambar in huge quantities. If you starve the new member, your daughter will be mad at you for animal cruelty.

Viswa

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    Thyagarajan, kkrish and PavithraS like this.
  6. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

That was one laugh riot! But truly, this election is becoming a laughing stock. Going by all the stories floating around, none of the parties concerned deserve to win !

kaniths, Thyagarajan and kkrish like this.
  7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hahaha Balajee! Elephants waiting outside your house to be adopted! I wish these politicians had been around when I was a kid! My mom had a hard time convincing me that an elephant was not a great idea when it came to having pets and that feeding me was a tough job enough without adding an elephant to the menagerie!!! :roflmao:

But seriously, it is sickening seeing the way people can be bribed for anything from rice and blankets to televisions and pressure cookers. Am glad you can laugh at it. That is the only way one can survive in this country.

nandinimithun, Thyagarajan and kkrish like this.
  8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

The (M)asses are either incorrigible optimists are cynics, Either they vote every time hoping against hope that at least this time the winner would work for them or believing that they might as well collect the freebies considering no one is going to do anything for them.

Sunburst and Thyagarajan like this.
  9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Hope you didn't spill the coffee on your dress. Viswa says youy might have gone to work that way Kamala.

kkrish, Thyagarajan and satchitananda like this.
  10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Viswa those withe rising sun symbol can only promise the moon to the voters. It will be more practical on the part of those with the elephant symbol to promise the voterds that they won't give their party symbol as a freebee if they vote for them. Do you really have to cook for an elephant? Then I think I have to consult some zoo official on how to tickle the pachyderm's taste buds.

kkrish, Viswamitra and Thyagarajan like this.