1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Quid Pro Quo With The Gods

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 20, 2017.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I enjoy your writing because of the its charm and natural scent.

I admire your writing more so because of this imperceptible shift in expression. You have studied in Tamil medium and then took upon English after your formative years. I don't know if you realise but it's astonishing. Unless you disclose, no one would suspect of this wilful ascension in your language instinct. It is easier to pick up languages as a kid even with no authoritative semantics by way of a toned-ear in idiomatic sense. A kid can spot a language folly not by noting the underlying grammatical break but from its jarring sound. The syntax does not ring well! For an adult to acquire that idiomatic and intuitive sense is daunting. There have been cases of writers and scholars who learnt foreign languages late in their life. Even then, it is remarkable! In your case it's commendable because you have been able to achieve that in five years of your mindful engagement with English literature, and you have done it in your own right. Every other person on the planet claims to have gobbled books like a ravenous critter. But ...but very few reflect the lettered mastery in their writing by virtue of reading books. In five years of training, and predominantly with PG Wodehouse, you have mastered English like your vernacular.

This progression is not an unexceptional feat. You will find a lot of people who devoured the entire compilation of PGW [and similar books] but you will not find many who forged something meaningful out of this passion and diligence to explore English literature that readily manifests in their conversational flair. I so admire you for this single accomplishment that many only aspire and are left high and dry in such a pursuit. Few of my colleagues and friends write beautiful English ... that punctures me with remorse that I should have focused more on language as a kid. Thus, personal narratives like yours inspire me to contend with my shortcomings [in general].

Where were we? Yes, I adore your writing for the obvious reasons voiced by everyone [repeatedly] on the style and texture of your writing and also the unsaid ones [you match or even exceed the writerly comportment of a convent-bred gent]. Need I say more ...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    vaidehi71 likes this.
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Iravati
    Rt.Hon.V.S.Srinivasa Sastri, who was admired by even the native English scholars for his colourful and impeccable English, was the Head Master of Hindu High School for eight years from 1894. He became a celebrated writer and orator and was duly knighted. My father, elder brother and I studied in that school where I have heard epic stories of his prowess in English. There was even an instant of his correcting Churchill's English. May be because of all the stories that I have heard from my teachers imparted a longing to learn that language.
    I don't even know if my English is faultless let alone the 'charm and natural scent'.
    I am thankful to you for all your accolades but I am quite aware of my imitations. Even in IL, there are members who give me a complex and I don't interact with them because of that complex.

vaidehi71 likes this.
  3. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I do have my favorites in IL. Then, I have enough people outside IL who give me that complex with least provocation just by sending out a witty counter to my blather. I don’t intend to take on complexes even within IL as that would plunge me into an abyss of singularity complex from which I can’t crawl out of. I don’t know many devoted writers or bloggers in my life, just people writing casually in a personal exchange on worldly matters like wonder woman and the intersectional feminist cult and blah in a jocular discourse. I don't entertain many De Profundis conversations in my life. If people start talking too profound and lofty, I withdraw. But, I enjoy conversations with interplay of word and wit that few people crank out so naturally and spontaneously. That gives me the complex pinch! They use words and emotions and mixed metaphors and ideational patterns in a charming way. I am a sucker for playful badinage than any baroque or dour writing. In that regard, my complex is like a multiplex where I admire a particular facet of everybody's writing.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    vaidehi71 likes this.
  4. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    Make sure you are not on a wrong number as far as my writing goes!

5. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Ha ha! I was talking last week to a friend (rather crying loud) — how on earth can one improve language. I am frustrated, where and how do I even begin. I just know that I have a slope to ascend with no idea if I've mapped the path of such ascension realistically.

Read more, or write more, write often, write like a bitten maniac. I even inquire at work unabashedly and discreetly on how to write well. At work, they are like Chaucers and Cartlands who compose emails like artwork. They just laugh at me! None with any reassuring guidance. May be writing is natural to few like Isaiah Berlin who could spontaneously dictate well-formed sentences into his dictaphone that needs no revision later. His proteges would listen to his audio recordings and render in text verbatim because there had never been a need to fix his extemporary speech. I am only beginning to realize the importance of language that isn't too contrived and not too sloppy. Re: the storey in the multiplex, there isn't any wrong number bestowed on anyone. My escalator has been stuck for so long in the basement that any movement is certain to be upwards, how does the floor even matter in such a ride. Members signify the end of their frustration here by holding out a 'end of the vent' plaque. I refrain from doing that because my frustration with language is never-ending and insurmountable. (I should change my job and friends in favour of people who talk less or write bad to make me feel better.)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    vaidehi71 likes this.
  6. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    As I was reading this, I remembered Professor Higgins whose problem was in the reverse. As a puritan of the language, he laments in My Fair Lady:
    The French never care what they do, actually,
    as long as they pronounce it properly.
    Arabians learn Arabian with the speed of summer lightning.
    And Hebrews learn it backwards,
    which is absolutely frightening.
    Use proper English you're regarded as a freak.
    Why can't the English,
    Why can't the English learn to speak?

The problem is the same in Tamilnadu. I speak Chennai Tamil which a person down south will not understand. The Tamil spoken in southern most State is difficult to understand for me. They even write it differently! If I try to speak pure Tamil in Chennai, people start laughing!
    I wonder if the lesser beings have the same kind of problems in communication like the humans. Do the African elephants convey the same message through their trumpeting as the Indian elephants?

vaidehi71 likes this.
  7. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I relate to that. I was once in a taxi in India and was conversing in Hindi on the phone (my Hindi is like Danny DeVito speaking Mandarin). The taxi driver inquired at the drop, "Are you from North or South?"

I was puzzled. I said I was born in Sri Lanka, raised in Maldives, went to Andaman for schooling then did college in Nicobar and now in India on work (I give such ridiculous answers too often to strangers when I am holidaying in India. Don't even ask the disposable names I conjure up in taxi trips or coffee shops or airport small talk. Chamundeshwari for the heck of phonetic acrobats). He remarked that my Hindi sounded odd and jarring and broken in that not so complimentary review of my language. It is a different issue that I don't speak good Hindi, I manage with crumbs picked up from Northie friends. You would think such criticism would deter me from torturing people. Nevertheless, my sing-song Hindi streak never abates until people plug buds in their bleeding ears.

The African elephants must be thinking, is it because of the thick grass in India that Indian elephants developed a heavier accent in their trumpets.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    vaidehi71 likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    When I was inspector of branches of the Bank in North India in the mid seventies, I made it a point to talk in Hindi in the hotels and transports. One day, a hotelier asked me if I was a Madrasi Brahmin. I was surprised. One could identify me as a Madrasi from the manner in which I spoke Hindi, but Brahmin? When I asked him how did he find out, he said that I spoke Hindi like Sanskrit!
    That was in your case. I was once told by a taxi driver to please speak in English because he found it easier to follow my English than Hindi!
    Very true. Food habits do have a say in the development of accents. It is a subject matter for a whole new snippet!

vaidehi71 likes this.
  9. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Are you sure? Did you mean food habits of humans or animals? I mean lizards and roaches are one thing. But an elephant? You may be reprimanded by an animal rights inspector that you are abusing these creatures in your blogs. Have you signed that "no harm was done to any of these animals used in my writing and any resemblance to your household pet is purely coincidental."

vaidehi71 likes this.
  10. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

They do! This has been best studied in passerine birds, which do show geographic variation and dialects in their song! Some links:

Peter Marler - Zoologist, birdsong pioneer
    Neural basis of vocal learning - Fernando Nottebohm
    Vocal dialects in birds
    Birdsong Dialects (MP3s)

I don't know about elephant dialects, but they do communicate meaning in their calls.
    What elephant calls mean

vaidehi71 likes this.