1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Quid Pro Quo - A New Variant

Discussion in 'Interesting Shares' started by Thyagarajan, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Heard this is actually Judge's sentence in Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
    There was a fifteen year old boy in Atlanta. He was caught stealing from a store.
    On trying to escape from the hold of the guard, a shelf of the store was also broken.
    The judge heard the crime and asked the boy, "Did you really steal something, a packet of bread and cheese"?
    The boy responded by looking down.... 'Yes'.
    Judge... 'Why?'
    Boy... I needed.
    Judge... Could have bought.?
    Boy... 'There was no money.'
    Judge... Take it from the family.
    Boy... 'There is only mother in the house. Sick and unemployed, Bread and Cheese were also stolen for the same
    Judge... You don't do anything?
    Boy... Used to wash a car. When I took a day off to take care of my mother, I was fired.
    Judge... Dont you ask someone for help?
    Boy... Had left the house since morning, went to about fifty people, took this desperate step at the very end.
    When the arguments ended, the judge pronounced the verdict...
    "The theft, especially the theft of Bread, is a very shameful crime and we are all responsible for this crime. Every person in the court, including me, is a perpetrator of this crime. So, every person present here is fined ten dollars. No one can get out of here without giving ten dollars. "
    Saying this, the judge took ten dollars out of his pocket and then picked up the pen and started writing...
    "In addition, I fine the store a thousand dollars for handing over a hungry child to the police."
    "If the penalty is not deposited within 24 hours, the court will order to seal the store."
    By giving the full amount of collections to this boy, the judge & court asked for forgiveness from the boy.
    After hearing the verdict, tears were pouring from the eyes of the people present in the court. That boy's hiccups were also relentless. The judge came out court with tears in his eyes.
    Are our society, systems and courts ready for such a decision?

Chanakya has said that if a hungry person is caught stealing bread, then the people of that country should be ashamed.
    If this post touches your heart, do share it with others too...

Mistt and KashmirFlower like this.