questions regarding qa / testing ...please reply

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Caughtinbetween, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

HI ,

I am looking to start my career in testing / QA in the US . I am taking training online but it is not that helpful it seems . I am trying to take few tests in utest and usertesting though. what are the good websites to take online courses which might help me in finding job. how to find which are the latest in demand technologies to learn for testing . Want to take your expert advice in this matter . how to start my job search in this field and which consultancies to contact for placements . basically i want to know how to go about finding a job in testing from all you experts out here . I am a fresher in testing , but i have little IT background and experience . Waiting anxiously for your suggestions to move forward.

thank you

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@JustAnotherMom Your advice is needed here.

1 person likes this.
  3. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

Hello.

I'm not sure my expertise are enough to advice, but I will share my experience.

I also felt online courses are not enough to start unless someone is very determined and a self learner. I went to onsite classes where they provide internships after the course ( most are unpaid internships).

These days they are very particular about knowing knowing some technical
    Please learn linux commands and SQL , they are very easy to learn if you put in some time.
    SQL Tutorial

I personally feel, getting the hands on realtime experience is more important. look for internships even if they are unpaid, it will eventually be helpful.

2 people like this.
  4. Caughtinbetween

Thank you gauri for the reference and justanothermom for your advice. I am trying on usertesting , utest and validately but the chances are far and few. And also brushing sql and will learn start learning linux. any onsite classes that I contact are charging a lot and right now I am not in a situation to afford it . With your vast experience , what would be your advise on starting job search , how to go about it . how to begin with qa resume preparation . I understand internships are worth the time and efforts but they would expect us to complete some course with them . ANd right now I can not afford it. Is there any other way to go for internships without taking courses and all . Do you also know of some consultancies who can market your resume and get you interview calls . I am asking too many questions here i know. thank you for bearing with me and helping me out. I really appreciate it . thank you so much for your kind help.

5. JustAnotherMom

Last night I spoke to a friend who joined in a restaurant to pay for her QA classes. She is attending classes in the evening which is from 7PM to 11PM .she is pregnant with her second baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3UmCgJZes0

Watch this video, there are 7 sessions, its the same class they take in the school also. Portnov has many video's in youtube.

I don't know much about job search, my first job was through internship from portnov, and second one, someone called me from a job portal ( i don't even know which portal) and with god's grace, i cracked that. I don't have much experience. Someone else might be able to help you on that.

1 person likes this.
  6. Caughtinbetween

Hi Justanothermom ,

Thanks for your response and apologies for the delay in my reply. I understand what you are saying and I have absolutely no issues in putting any amount of physical work or doing job for that matter because it is all I want right now . I have registered in all the job portals that I come across and also watching the videos and trying to learn on my own. For the past few days I have been going around all the nearby shops , restaurants and other places to find a job but no luck as yet. I really fail to understand why nothing is working out but still trying my best. Thanks for your time and help . Meanwhile if you or somebody else finds out something which can be of help to me do let me know please.thanks.

7. Hobby

Hobby New IL'ite

Hi Justanothermom,
    can you please point me where to learn linux commands and SQL?
    I want to learn Linux, can you share how it is useful in real time job.
    Appreciate your response

8. JustAnotherMom

@Hobby

SQL Tutorial
    I don't know where to learn Linux commands, my dh taught me.

Below is the note I had taken for myself, I have written for me to understand, it's not any proper format. Linux commands are useful when you do automation. Since I'm a manual tester, I never had a chance to use it. Someone else might be able to help you

creating a directory:- mkdir (directory Name)

deleting a directory:-rmdir ( directory Name)
    creating a file:- use vi editor to create a file( vi filename.txt. Then once you go inside first ESC then i to insert the data
    deleting a file:- rm (filename)

opening a file :- same as creating a file.
    editing a file:- first type ESP+i then normal typing.
    saving a file:- :wq!
    Saving file with changes :- :wq!
    Saving file with out changes is :q!
    Closing a file :- ESC :wq
    rm -rf filename ( to delete a directory with files inside, Other option is to go inside the directory and delete each file and do a rmdir directoryname)

To print file contents :- cat (filename)
    To move file from to another:- mv( filename newfilename. This is to change the name , not to physically move one file to another)
    To find out the memory : htop

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To delete a line in a file :- dd
    undo a command :- esc+u

To go to nextline:- esc+o
    grep keyword directory name ( to search a particular keyword)
    grep -i keyword Directory Name ( this will ignore the case sensitively and search)
    To find a process ps
    To find process as long list ps -ef

to search the process ( ps -ef | grep process name)
    esc+$ (To go to the end of file's content )
    0 ( to go the begining of file content)

To connect to the server ( using mac):- ssh userid@ip address or ssh userid@servername

To view the file content :-
    cat filename ( this will view the entire file name)
    head -1 filename ( displays first line of the file)
    head -10 filename ( displays first 10 lines of the file)

tail -1 filename (displays the last line of the file)
    tail -10 filename ( displays the last 10 lines of the file)
    more filename ( paging through one screen at a time)
    less filename ( when the file is bigger, even before reading the whole file, less will start displaying, hence when the file is big, its better to use the less command)
    top (for finding the linex top tasks)
    free -m ( to find the memory)
    Control+c ( to exit from process)
    bc ( binary calculator )
    ps (report a snapshot of the current processes.)

File pagination: first print the file ( cat filename |more) ( any command can be paginated using |more)
    Or
    more filename
    esc +control +g to find which line you are in
    :0 to move to the first line

To find a file:

find . -name "filename" -print
    when you are not in the directory.

find ./directoryname -name 'filename" -print

Snegithi, jskls, Rihana and 1 other person like this.
  9. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

OP & @Hobby, let's clarify some simple things first. Do you have a Linux machine at home? Or at least a Linux VM?

10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

:blush: The above is beyond cute, and the list of commands cuter.

Brought back memories. My transition from Unix to Windows was overnight, so to say. A Santa, so to say, or as I like to call him, my personal IT guy, installed something that let'ted me run ls/dir/mkdir on Windows. Till I learnt how to fish, so to say.

Hobby, that list is good, and the rest you learn by finding when needing it.

Soka, people still have machines at home? I thought everything is in the "cloud" :sunglasses:

JustAnotherMom likes this.