1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Questions on adopting

Discussion in 'Adoption' started by mullaikodi, Sep 19, 2012.

1. mullaikodi

mullaikodi Silver IL'ite

hi friends,
    After so many treatments and 3 pregnancy losses,physical and mental pain and tiredness, we are in discussion of adopting a child.
    we are married for 5 years and both are 28.
    The discussions has just started between us and we were looking in to CARA site.
    These things i am not aware of..
    1.The very first rule.The composite age of parents should be < 90.Can anybody tell me how to calculate this.are we eligible?
    2.We dont have permanent address in chennai. If suppose if the process takes 2 yrs or so do we need to be in same place. also since we dont own a house/land,will it affect the process?
    3.currently we are in H1 visa and it has to be extended by next year.so to bring my adopted child to US what we need to do?can the kid get visa to come here?

These are some preliminary questions.I think i may have so many doubts on this process.
    Pls bear with me and guide me.Thanks!

1 person likes this.

2. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

3. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi
    Endian has given you good link.... But before you read it I suggest first go thru the thread given below both of you and your hubby to help you decide and take a firm decision on adoption...

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/adoption/179433-reason-not-to-do-adoption.html#post2407250

I do not intend to discourage you but my intention is if you have any doubts that thread can throw light on adoption... Adoption is a noble deed but needs to be handled with firm resolution...

Thank you

1 person likes this.
  4. mullaikodi

mullaikodi Silver IL'ite

Thanks Eandian and Vj.. Will definitely go through the threads...
    Yes I agree firm mind is much needed...

5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Mullaikodi,

I am so happy to know that you and your DH have decided to go for adoption. God bless you and my best wishes to you. I am answering my questions to the best of my ability and you may have to consult local experts in this matter:

1) Yes. You are definitely eligible to adopt

2) You don't need to have permanent address in Chennai or any other place to adopt. It is my understanding that most institutions are now enforcing that the one or both parents need to spend at least two years in India before the adoption process is completed. During that period, you could move around places but you have to submit report about the child's health and milestone periodically to the institution. You should allow inspection by social worker to visit the child as and when they schedule to visit. If you are in different places, they might work with other institutions to coordinate home visit.

3) Your child whether it is biological or adopted is eligible for visa to come to the US. But you need to produce evidence that the child is adopted formally and hence only after adoption process is complete, you can bring the child to the US. When you process your green card, you can process it also for your child and if your child is a minor when you become US citizens, because of your citizenship, the child will automatically become the US citizen.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  6. mullaikodi

mullaikodi Silver IL'ite

Hi Sir,
    Thank you very much for your reply. The answers are encouraging me more...