Question regarding sleeping position

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Amicable, Mar 26, 2008.

1. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Re: Sleeping positions

Hi all,

I have read time and again that one should sleep on their sides when pregnant. I am now in my 4th month. I seem unable to stick to the side positions while sleeping. :spin I often find that i am on my back when I am sleeping. Also, sometimes I am unable to get to sleep unless I am on my back. Can anyone give me suggestions as how to sleep to the left or right? I am worried that sleeping on my back will lead to problems. Do let me know how I can overcome this problem.

Regards,
    Anitha

2. dsrini

dsrini Bronze IL'ite

Very Sorry Lakshmi I totally forgot about this thread. I am doing gr8. My mil is here so no cooking & cleaning. Just watching Aditi but feeling very tired. Aditi is doing gr8. But now a days she doesn't want to eat at all..bonk

How r u? R u able to get some sleep. Now a days I love to sleep straight. I never had such a feeling with Aditi. So I am very conscious & I end up having very less sleep. That too if I sleep in the afternoon no sleep at all at night. I guess I am very prepared for the nights after delivery. :crazy

Shweta

Sorry for this late reply. I guess doing some stretching will help. Also a hot compress or heating pad placed on your lower back will help with almost all back pain & also warm showers will help. Hope this helps & u feel better.

Anitha

How r u doing? U can read my reply for Lakshmi in this thread & See if it will be useful for u. TC. Happy Valaikappu.

TC
    Dhivya

3. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Dhivya,

Thank you. I am trying pillows but not very successful. I seem to push them out of the bed! bonk Anyway was talking to my mom and she says as the tummy gets bigger I will not feel very comfortable sleeping on my back. Will keep trying to sleep on my side. Maybe it will slowly become a habit.

Regards,
    Anitha

4. ashapradeep

ashapradeep Bronze IL'ite

Hi Anitha,

Even I used to have this problem. I try sleeping on my sides but since I am a back sleeper, I end up on my back when I get up and used to be worried about it. But for the past one month after 23rd week, its not been possible at all for me to sleep on my back. In case I do, I wake up immediately coz of discomfort and go back to my sides. So dont worry once ur tummy gets big, u wont be able to sleep on ur back anymore.

Asha

5. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Asha,

It is really comforting to hear that. :) I was worried but I guess I will stop it. We don't want anything to affect the bonny baby, isn't it? Hope you are enjoying your stay at home. Take care!

Regards,
    Anitha

6. ashapradeep

ashapradeep Bronze IL'ite

Yes Anitha, its true that we get terrified abt anything and everything, especially since its the first time. These days I am worried that I dont get up to change positions from one side to other, instead I just roll over. I was told that once I get bigger, I wont be able to do that also. Let me just wait and see...
    Yup, am having a great time at home, enjoying being the centre of attraction :). Nice to know that ur pregnancy has been going gud so far:thumbsup. :kiss to the the LO in the belly.

Asha

7. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Asha,

Thank you. :) Have passed on the :kiss to the LO in the belly - enlisted DH's help. :) Hope you have a great time.

Regards,
    Anitha

8. jyothijyothi

jyothijyothi New IL'ite

which side to sleep

Hi
    I am 10 week pregnant and i am not able to sleep either sides or straight and i am feeling some uncomfortable to sleep sides. Can u pls tell me which side to sleep is safer

9. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Re: which side to sleep

Hi Jyothi,

If you are looking for a sound sleep then forget about it as pregnancy is not the right time for sound sleep. Atleast you can have sleep in small intervals which is good enough.

I feel comfortable sleeping on the back with legs slightly elevated with pillows below them. I keep switching for straight to left and vice versa. I hear from many that left side helps in blood circulation to fetus. I have not explored sleeping on the right side except for the initial few days in the first trimester.

You need to explore the best suitable position which is most comfortable for you.

Regards,
    Lynette

10. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Re: which side to sleep

hi Jyothi,
    As Lee said, you can explore various suitable and comfortable positions. Except sleeping on back, try out all various positions. Once you are concieved, thats it....say goodbye to soundsleep till your kid growsup.
    I forgot sound sleeping almost 2 and half years back..:)
    So, try out positions!!!