Question regarding sleeping position

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Amicable, Mar 26, 2008.

1. radhee

radhee Bronze IL'ite

Re: Tossing & Turning in bed at night

Dear friends,

Thank you so much for all your inputs! That was a prompt response and I am feeling quite relieved.

Ramya & pmahensa, as suggested by you both, I am using a pillow to support my tummy. It does feel a lot better. Thanks!

Chitti, I guess we need not worry about this any longer. So relax!

Sindhu, thanks for sharing your experience. It feels good to know from other's experience.

Vnbaby, what you said was right! There are so many advices from almost everyone who come to visit and sometimes its so confusing what to follow and what not to! They really made me feel very guilty, that as if I am keeping my comfort as a priority than the baby's health…but feel relieved now.

Latha, yeah I too am doing the way your mom suggested. And it does feel heavenly with a lot of pillows around…but my poor DH, he has no place left on the bed as I am occupying most of the space! Then how are you doing? All set for the delivery is it? All the very best!

Sheetha, thanks so much for that detailed reply! Its very nice of you to have taken the time to write it. Am very much relieved now as I was feeling very guilty before. The fact about uterus putting pressure on IVC, I didn’t know that! I was thinking the other way round. Will try to follow all your suggestions. Thanks again!

Vanathi, thanks for the reassurance. So how is Aadhu doing?

Lavanya, true what you said about the "old wives tales." They do scare us too much! I guess its just a month more for your little one to arrive! All the very best!

Thanks ladies, nice to have all of you around…Though we haven't seen each other, I feel I have known most of you for a long time!

Radhee.Bow

2. JayaJ

JayaJ Senior IL'ite

Dear Radhee,

Same here. I am 8 weeks preg and already tossing and turning in the nights. I dont get gud sleep and i am fatigued as hell. i am already wishing the next 7 months whizz past.

The first time with my daughter, i didnt feel so much pain or discomfort, this time around i am feeling doubly nauseous, tired and fatigued all the time, lack of sleep, cant even lie down on the sides....totally irritating....

Dunno wat to do, just wait for time to fly...

Take care,
    JJ

3. anjusuresh

anjusuresh New IL'ite

Hi all,
    Am in my 15th week of pregnancy and am here in florida. I was told by my mother that I have to take care while turning in bed while sleeping. She also advised me better to sleep on my side. I asked my doctor here, and she told its ok now in what ever position which is comfortable for me, but as I complete 7 months, its better to sleep on left side, as it will help in the blood flow to the fetus. It is not difficult for me now sleeping on my side.

Best of luck for all of u.....be happy always...
    regards,
    Anju

4. radhee

radhee Bronze IL'ite

Dear Jaya....Congrats on your pregnancy. Yeah I can understand...the only pleasant feeling in the 1st trimester is the feeling that you are pregnant! It does cause a big upheaval in our routine lives with all the discomfort. I still have not fully gotten rid of the vomiting yet. Just wishing that time flies soon! How old is your first kid?

Dear Anju...Congrats on your pregnancy. Thanks for sharing what your doctor has said. As many have suggested, keeping a pillow underneath the tummy to support it while laying on the sides is comfortable. You can try that too.

All the best,
    Radhee.

5. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Radhee,

I'm in 34th week... not a very long way to go but I'm already restless. First pregnancy I never really cared when the baby would come. I still go for once in 2 weeks check-up and that's a sort of relief. After some point even going to the doctor(s) gets annoying! My mid-wife was home today to check and she gave me some tea mix to prevent early delivery (well looks like my baby is pushing down a bit fast!). Next week she'll start acupuncture... it's very common in Germany to help normal delivery, reduce labour time and prevent tears. I didn't get it done with my first one since I was in India. So as of now trying to finish a knitting project for the little one:biggrin2:
    Latha

6. mommytobe

mommytobe New IL'ite

Sleeping position change time

Hi ILs,

i know pregnant ladies are not supposed to sleep flat on stomach and on the back. But when i asked my OBGYN she said its fine to sleep on the stomach until you feel uncomfortable and are huge and regarding sleeping on the back you can until the 5th week.

Is it true and why can't we sleep on stomach..i love sleeping side ways but i am tilted and almost on my stomach.

Also i read in one of the threads that when you change sides you should not roll over and twist. you should basically, almost get up and then turn sides. But which month should you start doing this ?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Shweta

7. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Re: Sleeping position change time

Hi Shwetha,
    Your OB is right. You can sleep on your stomach until you get uncomfortable (usually upto 12-14 weeks). Until then the baby is inside the pelvis and not in your abdomen. So the bones of your pelvis will prevent any pressure on the baby. After 12 weeks the uterus enters the abdomen and from then it will be difficult to sleep on your stomach even if you want to. I am a stoamch sleeper myself and that was my experience as well. Reg getting up and turning over it is completely unnecessary to do that - just take it slow turning from side to side. You will do all this naturally anyway when you get bigger so dont worry about it too much.

Vanathi.

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  8. mommytobe

mommytobe New IL'ite

Thanks Vanathi,

When should i invest in maternity pillow..and ideas where to get a nice one from ??

9. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

I never used one Shwetha - so hope someone else will help you on this.

Vanathi.

10. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

I got my little pregnancy wedge since my 3rd month. It's come pretty handy! You can get it at Motherhood Maternity in Great Mall in Milpitas, I've also seen it on Amazon.com. It's about 15 bucks. They also have these huge S shaped pillows that take up a huge amount of space on the bed so I did not get that.