Question regarding sleeping position

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Amicable, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Lying on the back or right side is it safe?

Hi friends..

What's the best sleep position during regnancy?

Mary O'Malley, sleep consultant
    Although there's no real harm in sleeping on your right side, lying on your left side is actually good for you and your baby: It improves the flow of blood and nutrients to the placenta and it helps your kidneys efficiently eliminate waste products and fluids from your body. That, in turn, reduces swelling in your ankles, feet, and hands. If you train yourself to sleep on your left side early on, you'll have an easier time falling asleep when your belly is bulging later.

During the second half of pregnancy, avoid sleeping on your back, a position that puts the full weight of your uterus on your spine, back muscles, intestines, and the inferior vena cava (the vein that transports blood from your lower body to the heart). Back-sleeping can also put you at risk for backaches and hemorrhoids, inefficient digestion, and impaired breathing and circulation. Lying on your back in the second and third trimester can also cause changes in blood pressure. For some women, it can cause a drop in blood pressure that can make them feel dizzy; for others, it can cause an unwanted increase in blood pressure.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008

2. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Re: Lying on the back or right side is it safe?

very true. From my own experience, from the second trimester onwards, I could not lie on my back as it caused me back pain and breathlessness.

Still 1 month after delivery, I cant lie on my back, now I am more comfortable only on sides

3. sowminivibu

sowminivibu Silver IL'ite

hi

its always btr to sleep on ur left as they say ur blood circulation is better when u sleep on ur left.....and as pregnancy progresses i am sure you itself would feel comfortable only sleeping on the sides...

lov
    sowmi

4. geeta_sathish

geeta_sathish Senior IL'ite

Hi Amicable,

My doc told me to sleep on my side from my 5th month onwards (She said both sides are fine, but left side is preferred). Initially I found it very hard to sleep on my side as I was so used to sleeping on my back. But as the days go by, I feel very breathless when I sleep on my back, so now sleeping on the side is very comfortable.

But I change sides regularly in my sleep as sleeping on just the left side makes the whole body's weight rest on my left arm and that makes it go numb. So, though I try to sleep on left side, I sleep half the time on left side and sometimes on the right side too.

As days go by you will yourself feel comfortable only with sleeping on your side.

Take Care.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  5. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Hi friends...

I am 18 week now, I feel more comfortble sleeping on my right side. But since I have read the article about the right way of sleeping during pregnancy. I am always careful and try to change my position on left side whenever it is possible. But when I get up in the morning, I usually find myself lying on my right side. I don't find any trouble so far sleeping on my back yet, but I am trying not to.

Thanks and take care all.

6. Vnbaby

Vnbaby Senior IL'ite

Hi Friends!!

Thanks Amicable for starting this thread :clap. Now we have many good advices on the sleeping position during pregnancy.

I was always confused when should I start lying on my sides because I knew that at some certain time of pregnancy doctors advice not to sleep on your back but it is really hard for me as I am always comfortable in sleeping on my back and right side:crazy. Though I read it on internet also that sleeping on left side is the best position and since then I am trying really hard to sleep on my sides but whenever I wake up even in between the night to go to toilet I find myself lying on my back bonk.

I am trying really really hard now and told my husband also to ask me to lie on sides if he wakes up in the night and notices me lying on back but he always have sound sleeps so he never wake up in the night Big Laugh. I am going to complete my 12th week tomorrow but I thought its a good habit so I should start at the earliest and I know I am going to take time to get habitual of sleeping on sides:idea.

Take care
    V n baby

7. itzdms

itzdms Bronze IL'ite

Hey all,
    Thanks for the post. I found it useful.
    I am 18 weeks pregnant.I usually have a pillow by my side, my good old habit! Is it good to have a pillow while sleeping? Do we need to sleep straight or is bending ok?

8. priyauc

priyauc Bronze IL'ite

very true, ahve practised the same during my pregnancy as well.

9. radhee

radhee Bronze IL'ite

Tossing & Turning in bed at night

Dear all,

It is very difficult for me to get to a comfortable position to sleep at night. I try my best to sleep on the left side, but would get uncomfortable soon and would want to sleep on the right side. Then left, then right, goes on throughout the night. Now some elderly ladies have been telling me not to do that. To change positions from left to right and vice versa, they asked me to get up and sit and then turn to the desired side and lie down again. They told me to do this way each time I want to change position. They say that otherwise, the umbilical cord will go around the baby's neck and will harm the baby. Is this true? It will be very difficult to sit up each time at night to change sides. If i did that, I would never sleep throughout the night...can someone shed some light on this?

Radhee.

10. ram12

ram12 New IL'ite

Re: Tossing & Turning in bed at night

Hi Radhee,

Yes the elderly people are true regarding the Umblical Cord being stuck around the baby's neck if you change positions suddenly .No need to worry if you are not able to sleep on the left side.Make sure you dont sleep on your back .Sleeping on the left side is most desired as the baby gets more blood supply and oxygen but right side sleeping wont do any harm .Just have some extra pillows and you will soon find a suitable position .

Hope you feel better .

Ramya