1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Question regarding disposable diapers

Discussion in 'Infants' started by SiriVeda, Feb 28, 2011.

1. SiriVeda

SiriVeda Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I have a 4.5 month old baby boy. I have been using disposable diapers all this while. I tried using cloth diapers initially, but his sleep got affected a lot and the baby was very irritable. So I had to start using disposable diapers changing the diaper every 3 - 4 hours.

Today I heard a new argument saying that disposable diapers will cause impotency. Is this true...I have been using these diapers for almost 4 months now....Is the damage done already....I very worried :((

Can anyone throw some light on this....

Sirisha

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

oh dear your fears are unfounded... there's only a miniscule population that uses cloth diapers in the western world. and i'm sure there's no big 'impotency' wave:( don't worry...

3. adimom

adimom Senior IL'ite

I have been using disposable diapers for my baby from day 1 of her birth. Here it is not possible to cloth nappies as the floors are carpeted. And during winter i have to keep her fully covered and that is not possible with cloth nappies. Here everyone use only disposable nappies. I dont think there is any impotency problem with disposable nappies.

4. paddubala

paddubala Silver IL'ite

oh God..how do ppl confuse a new mom..
    first understand there is no right or wrong in parenting..there are kids who grow up on diapers and kids who had never used diapers..but all do well..
    whenever someone says something to you, please start thinking logically instead of emotionally..when ppl say this, you should immdly think of western world..arent kids being born here?
    let me tell you, as you bring up your child, you are definitely going to be bombarded with opinions...just hear them out and then you decide what is good for you and baby..A mom's instinct is always good..good luck:)

5. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

I've never heard about impotence, but disposables certainly put nasty chemicals near a sensitive area.

Adimom, that's no longer a valid argument against cloth diapers. Have you explored options for cloth diapering these days? As someone who has used both kinds (primarily cloth from Bummis organic cotton cloth diapering kit; I believe a website/store called Mother Care (?) in UK sells these) in a much colder place than London, I can say this - much fewer leaks with cloth; she is always in cloth when we step out. And I am not just different. Many mums I have met here have their babies in cloth. Completely uninfluenced by me or vice-versa; I met them after they and I made the choice to use cloth. All-in-ones or pocket diapers or snap ons are really no different from 'sposies when using outside. Bumgenius, Grovia, just to name a few.

You know what - about the leaks - make that almost never with cloth.

6. rosary

rosary Gold IL'ite

can you give us the source of your information ?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  7. amritavarshini

amritavarshini Bronze IL'ite

sriveda..y do u want to use diapers all the time? now that he is 4.5 months old u can slowly start training him i mean not on potty since thats possible only when the baby can sit properly..wat u can do is u frequently help him with the bathroom trips..slowly u can train him not to wet his bed..i have never used diapers for my daughter ( she is 15 months now) at home, only when we go out she wears it..still then the skin on her buttocks has turned dark than rest of the body..but from day 1 she never wets her bed...thats a relief to me..u can buy quick dry sheet and spread it on ur bed so that it doesnt get wet often...

8. SiriVeda

SiriVeda Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for your response....sorry couldnt get back soon....my baby is just keeping me busy all day......

Rosary....The source of information is a TV show where a Pead got interviewed and he was totally against disposable diapers....

I then went on a browsing spree to check the validity of his statements...I was really amazed when I saw some articals referring to impotency...though there are arguments against disposable diapers causing impotency...I just want to be safe....

Amrita...thanks for the suggestion...I will soon start his training....

confused211....i agree with you....cloth diapers do have minimum leaks...

paddubala...you are right...but then once a doubt enters the mind, its hard to get it out without taking appropriate action....

adimom...I understand your point. But if you have quick dry sheets and good cloth diapers it will not be a problem.....however its completely your decision....

Traveller....This was my first thought when I heard the doc's argument....But immediately I felt there is not comparison between a tropical country like India and the western world....

Finally I tried using cloth diapers throughout the day and night....but his night sleep suffered very badly....so these days iam using disposable diapers only in the nights...I got good quality cloth diapers from an infant store nearby......This works for me.....

Thanks once again for your responses....

Sirisha

9. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

Good for you, Sirisha! The earth will thank you for every time you use a cloth diaper on your son and NOT a disposable that will go on to sit in a landfill for ages hence.

10. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Sirisha,
    Unless there is proven evidence, then do not worry.
    Lot of times, there are rumors that are spread.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011