Question regarding conceiving

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by jaynash, Sep 22, 2007.

1. aishuanand

aishuanand Bronze IL'ite

Re: Not conceiving from last 3 months....

thanks ani
    actually i asked my dr whether is it better if i buy opk he told it wont be available here (in fiji) so i am going to track my bbt but i am not sure how to chart it
    if u have any idea can u explain me about bbt and also tell me can we use the normal thermometer for finding temperature
    sorry for troubling u again and again

2. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Oh is it?
    Iam really sorry I have not tried those bbt's at all. Else I would have definetely suggested you.

Try to ask other IL's who used that. I think want2conceive is using it at present. Just ask her or see her post.

Good luck :thumbsup​

3. aishuanand

aishuanand Bronze IL'ite

thank you anitha

4. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

Hi Aishu

I set an alarm for the same time every morning, a little before I am likely to wake up on my own (this is so that I don't keep waking and checking the time, and messing up BBT). It should be taken after at least 5 hours of sleep, and at least 3 hours continuous sleep. It should be taken at the same time everyday (at most a half hour, this way or that). If I wake up an hour before schedule and fall back to sleep after seeing the time, I don't worry too much. I use a Target Brand "basal" thermometer (I used to use a CVS brand one, until it ran out of battery). Keep the BBT thermometer on your night stand, so that you don't have to do more than roll over to reach it. Don't get up. Don't drink water. Stick the thermometer in under your tongue at about the same place everyday. Once you get the temp., either write it down immediately, memorize it, or get one that remembers last taken temperatures (Target one does). You can download a BBT chart, but I just use Excel. My temperature remains around 97.2-97.5 F before ovulation. The day after ovulation, the temperature rises by at least 0.4 deg. F above the temps in the last 6 days (mine went up to about 98.3 F last month) and stays there in the luteal phase, and drops the day of AF. Mine dropped significantly only the 2nd day of this cycle. I am guessing that that is because AF began only in the evening.

BBT only tells you that ovulation has already taken place. To predict it in advance, cervical mucus monitoring/ OPK is required. I only use BBT, however, as my cycle is usually 29*24 hours from start of this cycle to start of next cycle. Personally, I would begin BD based on my shortest cycle in the past several months and continue it once in 36-48 h, until the day after I see the spike and see it staying higher for 2-3 days (and not be feeling feverish, of course!).

BBT thermometer is calibrated better and is more accurate for our purposes. I would use a BBT thermometer.

HTH!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  5. aishuanand

aishuanand Bronze IL'ite

hai confused211
    thanks a lot for your guidelines i am going to start it from tomorrow if any doubts i will ask you again

6. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

Oh btw, Aishu, I don't know if there are any Targets or CVS's in Fiji. Any BBT thermometer will do. Having one that remembers the last temp taken would be great, if you just want to fall back to sleep. The display doesn't light up in mine. So, I thought the temp was 97.93 in my sleep. I turned it back on to check once I got out of bed later, to see that it was 97.43!!

7. aishuanand

aishuanand Bronze IL'ite

hai confused211
    i tried all over here but i was not able to find digital one so brought the mercury one something is better than nothing na , and its in celcius , started to track from today...............

8. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

Hmm.. I don't know which would be better; a digital normal thermometer, or a mercury bbt one. BTW, is this a BBT thermometer that you bought? Maybe you can order one on the internet, or have your family in India or elsewhere send one to you. I think it should be available in India. But I hope whatever you use helps you make sense of your cycle! Good luck, and let me know how this cycle turns out!

9. aishuanand

aishuanand Bronze IL'ite

hai confused211
    even i had the same doubt to find which would be better; a digital normal thermometer, or a mercury bbt one since i want to start it from this cycle itself i brought a bbt normal thermometer which is the only thing available here let me try with this in this cycle if nt i ll try to buy it from net thanks for your suggestion

10. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

Oh, it IS a BBT one. That must be good, then.

Digital is just more convenient, because it beeps when it is done. So, it maybe worth keeping an eye out for one.