1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

question on cereals

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by loonypooh, Mar 31, 2010.

1. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Poonam, how do you make khichdi with veggies for Z and also dhalia with dates.. Recipes pls.. Shibu is bored with the same kind of food..

Girls, am i not supposed to give her quick cooking oats.. I am giving her for the past 15 days and she is fine.. should i stop it?

2. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

vidya, quick cooking oats isnt an allergen, just that its highly processed as compared to steel cut and regular white oats.i only got to know this from baby food sites...so we jus use the regular oats for Z.

sharing recipes, i have read these recipes here and there,and modified as per wat suits me and her.

oats with apple
    boil 2 spoons oats in enough water, simmer for few mins. then add chopped peeled apple.... cook for few more mins.
    run it through blender, add little milk.

khichdi with veggies
    1 spoon khichdi, 2 spoons rice....2 cups water
    few peas,half carrot, pumpkin,bottlegourd, whatever is available.
    a pinch jeera pwd,a pinch turmeric.

pressure cook. mash with spoon/blender/potato masher....serve

Dalia with dates
    soak dalia in advance,

2 spoons dalia,2 dates.... 1 cup water. pressure cook

liquidise in blender,add 1/4 cup milk ,cook for a min.
    serve

dalia khichdi
    dalia 1 spoon,moong dal 1 spoon, veggies.
    process is similar to khichdi

tried curd with Z,and she HATES it :(

3. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Vidyaa - But the white oats that are NOT quick cooking. I saw one in TIger brand. You will need to search for it though. Do not give quick quicking as it is super refined and low in fibre.

Poonam - thanks for the recipe. How do I ask for dhalia in shops? What name? Can you give dates at 7mo?

4. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Silly question, but can I use this ragi milk without boiling/cooking it? Would like to see if I can use it in the place of cow's milk. Still not figured out how to do it, silly me.

5. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Tikka, Loonypooh,

Tikka- I have started ragi milk for my 4 month son. I get the ragi milk, dried and powdered at home. I am told that many extract milk daily, but it has to be cooked. Raw ragi milk might cause intestinal bleeding.

LoonyPooh- This is indeed news to me. i started Quaker oats, finely powdered, just three days back. And baby has been reacting very badly. What is the difference between quick cooking and white/steel cut oats? Which brand is suitable for a four month old?

6. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

tikka, but ragi milk isnt milk right? :)), i could never quite figure out the whole ragi funda, infact ragi as a prime baby food, i only got to know while my stay in cbe.

ramya- ramya that recipe, is from tarla dalal, and it is mentioned under 5-6 month old cereal recipes... now we didnt want to use dalia that early , so i have been giving this to baby since a week or so, and so far she LOVES it and no allergies.only difference is i dont use too much milk, less than 1/4 cup. in stores here, it is refered to as broken wheat or wheat rava... do not mistaken it for suji rava. :)

BULGUR WHEAT PORRIDGE Recipe - by Tarla Dalal see?

infact, almost all recipes listed by the ILite here under baby foods.. for 4-6 months, 6-9 months etc etc are from tarla dalal's book on baby food, and a few from babycenter india.

vidya, i am really no expert, but this is what i came across on almost all sites, asking not to use quick cooking oats...

from wholesomebabyfood :
    Can I use “quick cook” grains?

Instant and Quick cooking cereals</B> are oftentimes processed, precooked and (as with Instant) then dehydrated. This processing has in the past included the addition of enzymes. Additionally, Instant Oatmeal may contain other flavorings as well as salt. Many manufacturers maintain higher standards, use only whole grains and do not steam or further cut and process their Quick Cook oat products. Indeed, many manufacturers do not even produce Instant grains due to the nutritional inferiority

Quick cook oats tend to be less nutritious as they tend to be rolled, cut and then steamed. Some producers will additionally further "cut" or flake the oats. Unless one researches the producer of the grain, one cannot be certain that the Quick Cook oats they are eating have simply been rolled and finely cut. We like to purchase our Grain products from Bob's Red Mill or Hodgson Mills here in the U.S. Their websites are very informative and contain a plethora of information concerning all types of grains.

basically vidya, the quick cooking ones are not harmful, just that the regular are more nutritious. if ur baby isnt doing well on quick cooking, its not becoz the type of oats it is, probably you would have to reintroduce it to her later. at 4 months, oats i feel could be a bit heavy.we started cereals with zoey only nearing 6 months, till then she was only on purees.

7. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

TIkka - Ragi milk, is just the extract of Ragi and since it does not have the outer layer, it doesn't have the brown colour. But the taste is really raw. Only if you boil it, it tastes ok.

Vidya - Quick oats are just not that healthy, thats it. At 4 months, try not to introduce too many cereals unless you have a specific reason (early weaning etc.). How is the baby reacting to veg/fruit purees?

Poonam - dhalia must be samba wheat rava, then. We use it for making upma.

Update - I bought another batch of organic ragi, sprouted, dried it and gave it to the mill. It is finer than what I made at home and DD so far has no issues. So I am stopping the milk-extraction method :thumbsup

8. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Ramya, where did you buy the Organic ragi and how did you sprout it..?

I once tried sprouting it and it was a failure.. so have not tried Ragi for Shibu yet.. but planning to give her after this trip...

Vidyaa

9. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi Vidya,

Sorry for stepping in..Just wanted to help you with organic foods..

Eco Nut in besant nagar

and

Amma Naana are known for their organic stuffs

There is another store in indira nagar adyar..sorry i forgot the name :bonk..google for organic products in indira nagar,adyar,chennai

Hope this helps you.Will update if something else flashes :hiya

10. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

ramya i dunno what samba rava is, but this is what dalia is
    [​IMG]