1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

question on cereals

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by loonypooh, Mar 31, 2010.

1. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Few questions -

1. Is anyone giving oats/barley porridge to >7 mo babies? If so how do u prepare it at home? I am not able to get rolled oats and I do not think we can use the quic cooking ones, right? Or do you just buy the Gerber cereal oatmeals?

2. Is there a way we can prepare ragi/rice+moong dal in away tha does not need boiling? like the ready made cereals (easum/cerelac). Just add water and feed?

2. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

ramya, i am giving oats to zoey .started recently and she is doing well.
    I got jumbo oats which are not quick cooking. they take around 10 mins ro cook.
    what i do is 1 tbsp jumbo oats,1/4 apple and water boil .and simmer for 8-10 mins.
    then blend it in mixie and add 2 tbsp packet milk.

search for white oats,the regular ones... do not use quaker,the only reason being the quick cooking ones are refined, and low on fiber.

about ragi,khichdi... these things hv to be cooked. if u want an instant option easum is wat u can give,no other choice.these cereals are refined and treated,that we cannot do at home.

this wk sometime i am going to give her dalia with veggies or dalia with dates ....
    do chk the other thread i have mentioned the revised food chart for zoey, and also share urs :)

3. nemo

nemo Senior IL'ite

hi all,

In raagi i'm using palm jaggery syrup as it is very rich in iron and tastes yummy:) my kiddo likes it. But i'm having problem with introducing rice to her. it makes constipation in her. :rant I'm using powdered oats with one spoon FM.

:bonk

4. PritiGanesh

PritiGanesh Senior IL'ite

hi nemo -Please can you advise me on where can I get palm jaggery syrup in UAE . I remember seeing dates syrup in LULU and C4 but do not remember seeingpalm jaggery.

Thanks in advance.

regds
    priti

5. nemo

nemo Senior IL'ite

hi,

I'm getting palm jaggery from lulu and some other flour mills in abudhabi. And afterwards makes syrup from it. You can find it in adil stores also. there is a brand coming from srilanka which is very good.

:bonk

6. madhulika77

madhulika77 New IL'ite

hai ladies,
    joined this forum little late...can somebody please tell me what is this ragi is..i heard of ragi malt..are both one and the same?can i give it to my baby who is 10months old..please advice...can i get them in indian store ?and what oats can i give to my baby?i mean do we get any special oats for the baby or just the regular once ?

thankx all...

7. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

ragi malt is nothing but powdered sprouted ragi, yes u can give.manna is a good brand for your 10 month old. alternately if u get this silver spoon ragi, that is good too. at10 months u can cook ragi with milk add fruits to it as well.

oats i am giving my baby white oats which are not quick cooking. i cook for 10 mins, add some fruit and then puree.u can also try the quick cooking ones but they are super processed and low on fiber as compared to the regular cooking ones.mine are Jumbo oats.

8. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

eeks only now that i realise u are in the US, i am not sure wat brand oats and ragi malt are avail there

9. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Pooh -Thanks for the oats recipe ....tried it on DD and she seemed ok with it y'day. I bought Tiger brand white oats, not the quick cooking ones. I gave it with bean/beetroot puree.

10. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

nice!!!i give oats with fruit,khichdi with veggies, dalia with dates