1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

question on cereals

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by loonypooh, Mar 31, 2010.

1. myangel

myangel Bronze IL'ite

Hi Poonam

I used to give Ragi from last month,my mom prepared small small vada(round ),lke our friends said we followed traditional md,grind Ragi grinder(eg 2 big cups),then keep tat madu in long vesatle...allow the water to settle,then take tat mavu and keep it cloth ?& tie tat cloth & hang it some where,water will come out well then make small small vadas from tat and keep it in sunlight..(you should make all process in one day else mavu pulikkum)my mom used to grind previous day night......next day we follow other steps and we will keep in sun......

when ever you need u can take 2 pieces mix it in water add little sugar/salt....initially i tried liquid...but my LO started throwing...then i made little solid consitency(first i tried to keep her tounge using fingure then she liked taste...then i used spoon)...now am adding little ghee.

2. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Pooh,

I grind ragi in the mixer, does not come out fine. I picked up sprouted ragi malt the other day from an Organic store, just to try. Somehow, the store ones are fine. At home you will get a coarse finish like fine sooji. Anyways it will get cooked as porridge so you will not be able to find out the coarseness.
    I forgot to mention we fry the ragi powder and keep it. Whenever needed we mix 1/2 tsp ragi powder and 1 tsp roasted wheat flour and cook with jaggery.

You can add it to the wheat flour while making chappatis in case, you don't know what to do about it. Very soon, Zoey will start picking up everything in the mouth and its a good time to introduce bits of chappati after 8 months.

Ragi is otherwise cold in nature, to avoid colds, I was advised by my gran and mom to add wheat flour. We take turns with ragi, oats and sooji kheer now.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  3. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

thanks lee, but i think i will use this batch of ragi for chapati etc... will get hers done at the mill....since i am just starting out i think it would be nice if its as fine as possible.i am going to get some more ragi, sprout it , roast it and get it done at the mill. i am planning to wait for another month or so to start her on bulgar wheat....my mom keeps saying its very healthy for babies.

4. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Pooh,

I just did some reading on bulgar wheat. It takes very less cooking time as compared to dhalia. Let me check if I find it.

I was planning to start Lenora on wheat kheer alternate mornings. Somewhat preparation like how Pon mentioned about Ragi. My friend's mother did prepare wheat papads and its an elaborate process must say, soak, extract the milk, cook it and make papads. I think the wheat milk kheer should work out. Will try with 2 tsps first and see how it goes :)

5. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

lee, since lenora is 10+ now, i think u can try this recipe for her..
    take wheat flour.roast it in tiny bit of ghee till aroma comes.. just like how we do suji.. then add milk and little jaggery. my mom keeps thinking about recipes for LO ... lol . but i am not starting wheat for her just yet. she said ideally this is done with suji, but using wheat wld be more healthy. suji too is healthy. i am guessing lenora wld love it.
    btw theres a book by tarla dalal on baby n toddler cooking, i think i will get a copy soon.

6. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

and yes lee bulgar wheat is usually mistaken as dalia, but dalia isnt processed,only cracked wheat. bulgar wheat is pre processed.... so easier to cook. now here in stores i saw bulgar wheat once... and now i am not finding anymore.:(dalia i guess needs a bit of soaking ,no?

7. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Made sprouted ragi powder at home y'day. When I touch it, it feels fine.
    But when I make kanji, I am able to see the brown particles settled at the bottom .... filtering it doesn't help. However I am not able to feel the coarseness when I eat it .. may be LO will feel it. Anythoughts ?
    Also, it is a little bitter. I am right now giving it with a little BM and it is watery. How else can I give it?

Wanted to start on oats & barley ..... which oats should I use ?i don;t think we get steel cut oats here, right?

8. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

ramya, same thing happened. coarse flour. so i am going to ask MIL to make a fresh batch for Z.n get it ground at the mill. i think i must hv also roasted it a bit too much. coz it was a tiny bit bitter.
    let me see how she makes. and i can make later if we want.

ladies i hv a Q. how long can this ragi flour be stored?

9. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Poonam - the bitterness is not because of roasting. I never roasted it ... mine was just sun-dried, but I think it is the inherent taste of ragi.

From what I know sprouted, roasted flour can be stored for 3-4 months. We but a certain kind of sprouted roasted flour and use it in our food - ragi roti, ragi kanji, ragi mudde etc. We get this from karnataka and it keeps good for 3-4 months.

I am just thinking if I should just go and get the flour that we get in shops.

10. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Poonam,

I have two books of Tarla Dalal one was the pregnancy book and these days we get a book @ 5O bucks, Cooking and more by Tarla Dalal again good one. Somehow in one of my offices I managed to take the printouts of most of Tarla Dalal's recipes so now when the site has copy rights I am all smiles :) Chitramma too has given some of Tarla Dalal's recipes.
    Lenora loves sheera alot much more than ragi and oats. She keeps smacking her lips after she has sheera. We follow the same recipe you mentioned, add milk and cook. Will try the wheat kheer like they call it here in Maharashtra, thanks for the recipe. I am trying to introduce the sweetness stringently, right now we are only with jaggery for nachni that too on alternate days.

I agree with Ramya, it can be stored for three to four months, if the sprouts were completely dried and there is no moisture left. Most sprouts don't grind find if they are not dried completely too. Just a thought.

Ramya,
    I think sprouted ragi will taste bitter. I started with nachni and ground it without roasting. I roasted the flour later. Now I mix ragi and wheat roasted, haven't given plain ragi to Lenora. Yes you will find a mustard seeds like finish, where the skin is separated.
    White oats the one we get in the UAE that's the one I give Lenora. Even Champion oats is good enough.