1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Rotis and Rice while on Weight loss plan.

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by tweenie27, Dec 19, 2007.

1. tweenie27

tweenie27 New IL'ite

hey all,

this is my first post! i have been trying to lose weight. i do eat right and exercise. but there is always one confusion about RICE and ROTI's!! everyone has different things to say.
    some say, if u want to lose weight, do not eat rotis, even though they are otherwise nutritious. Some say do not eat Rice (obviously). Some say. do not eat either rotis or rice. Avoid both completely.
    But well, here is what i have felt by my personal experience. Rotis, I agree are a healthy thing. But when i eat wheat, my craving for my next meal increases as the meal-time approaches. If i dont eat wheat, my food cravings are reduced a lot. If i eat rice cooked in cooker, possibly similar thing happens.
    But here is the twist. If I cook rice in lots of water and drain it, most of the starch goes out. I agree vitamins go too, but well, we can always get vitamins from other foods. we dont have to eat rice to get vitamins. So when i eat a little rice drained in that way, my food cravings remain low. And I dont feel like i ate a lot. So when i have a small cup of rice in that form along with veggies and dal, i am able to continue my diet. And i also lost a few pounds.
    But then again, lately someone told me that no matter how i cook rice, i will put on weight if i eat even little of it and that instead of rice, i should eat a roti.
    What do u guys feel? Isnt a cup of rice ok to eat, if cooked in lots and lots of water and then drained? wont that be better than roti, only for the purpose of losing weight? i can always make sure i get fibre and other vitamins from different foods instead of roti.
    Just to mention, i love rotis. its jus that i want to eat nutritious food but at the same tome, want to curb my appetite, which will not happen if i continue to eat rotis. Now u will ask me why i want to eat rice then. Well, thats becoz, since there are no rotis, little rice (cooked in my way) with lots of dal and sabzi and dahi, breaks the monotony of dieting and makes u feel u ate regular food.thats all!
    please tell me ur opinion.:idea

Also, i have recently been diagnosed with High BP. i am on medication for it. (thats another reason i am trying to lose weight safely and steadily). tell me if rice is ok once in while in any case for high bp patients. I am otherwise trying to make sure i eat good and healthy food with very less oil and masalas and lots of fruits etc.. and drink lots of water too.

Admin Note: You may also like to read

Know Your Calories
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/keep-fit-and-maintain-shape/46221-replacement-for-white-rice.html
    The Game of Healthy Weight Gain
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/nature-cure/12576-eating-chapathi-roti.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k...52-some-info-thoughts-weightloss-healthy.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2013

2. bipasha

bipasha Senior IL'ite

Hi Tweenie,

As far as my experience with wieght loss methods and diet goes,I would suggest not to have rice.
    I got married in Feb.In Jan I joined VLCC for wieght loss.They gave me a proper diet chart which I had followed religiously.Initially they asked me to have everything but in limited quantities.But gradually when the weight lose rate remained constant they switched to a wheat diet i.e. no rice at all,only wheat bread and rotis without oil,butter and ghee and with any sabji.Atleast 2 fruits in a day and 8 glasses of water.I had to walk for half an hour in the morning and 20 minutes before dinner.It helped me a lot.

Bipasha

3. tweenie27

tweenie27 New IL'ite

hi bipasha,

thanks a million for ur reply... ok then i will stick to a roti, though i cannot get myself to eat more than one, becoz of fear of keeping the weight constant!

Hope i continue to lose. maybe i didnt lose in the past few days becoz i didnt exercise vigorously coz of chums. but maybe with one roti and all the exercise, i might lose again! :idea

thanks yaar.
    Tweenie

4. bipasha

bipasha Senior IL'ite

Hey Tweenie,
    Have you seen any change /progress after following the wheat diet?

Bipasha

5. hemsat

hemsat New IL'ite

Hey,

One of my friends suggested having brown rice instead of the white one. It contains lot of fibre and less carbohydrates I suppose. You would feel full even after having a little amount. She started taking brown rice to prevent building up weight during her pregnancy. I too have been taking it for about 4-5 months and there is no weight gain I can promise. Hope I helped.

:hatsoff
    Bye

6. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Even I have the same problem with wheat rotis or any wheat product for that matter like upma, whole wheat bread, pav bread etc. I am constantly hungry. My accupuncturist told me that to lose weight I needed to give up wheat and eat rice instead, which is counter-intuitive to everything I know. But she says it works for certain people whose bodies may not be able to properly process wheat.

I did try cutting out wheat from my diet and lost weight without excercising .. even when eating rice at lunch and dinner! And no more hunger pangs! But I love my rotis so I've started buying the low-carb tortillas from the grocery store. For example, La Tortilla Factory Brand low carb tortillas are just 80 calories each and have 5 grams of net carbs and 8 grams of protein. Rice I try to eat the brown rice version. And no more than 1/2 cup of rice per meal.

Don't worry you're not the only one with this wheat issue! Lots of people have it but not many can diagnose themselves the way you did so many congrats on that! Let me know if you need more tips!

7. tweenie27

tweenie27 New IL'ite

hi bipasha, hemsat and pmahensa,

thanks a lot for ur replies!
    Hey bipasha, my weight loss is so far ok..well actually the holiday season has been on, so i will say in all honesty that i havent exercised as well as i should have. But i have kept my diet under control-- by eating as low calorie stuff as possible. i have lost another 3 pounds or so in the last 10 days or so. Well i started eating a roti with my meal, but then the same problem yaar-- i felt hunger pangs earlier than when i dont eat roti...!! i dont know why that happens. i totally agree that roti has a lot of benefits, but again i have started to avoid rotis, and got back to a spoonful of cooked rice with lots of veggies and dal etc.. I have done one change though. Once in a while I do eat a roti or wrap or a wheat bread sandwich, or daliya (broken wheat with milk) --- like 1-2 times a week, just so i feel i get some nutrients of wheat...

Hemsat, i definitely want to switch to brown rice instead of white. i used to have brown rice long back, but i stopped...actually i used to be always in a dilemma whether to eat rice at all or not... and if not, then why bother getting another type! But now i will go and get it. u have given me a lot of hope.

Pmahensa, feels better to know that u too feel hunger pangs when eating wheat! i used to wonder why it happens to me! but i realised one thing, that wheat draws me more to food. So if i want to cut down appetite and stop myself from feeling hungry often, i have no choice but to try and stay away from wheat, even though its good for my health over all. Btw, wow that u lost weight without exercising! how and what else do u eat, do tell me!! i also noticed that u take acupuncture treatment. What do u /did u take it for? well guess what, my friend took acupuncture treatment (not to lose weight really, but to increase metabolism and for conceiving). Though she did not conceive by that, but she lost SO MUCH weight in the process-- along with excercise and diet, that she started looking like a model! i guess her metabolism got corrected pretty well. So i decided to take it too--but unfortunately i told the acupuncturist that i want to lose weight. Thought the needle part was not so bad, but the medication she gave me probably didnt suit me. they were tablets for weight loss called 999 Herbal Essence, i think.--something like that. (i never ever usually take such things, but that one time i tried it, thinking its herbal and all and that i got to trust the doc!). i did begin to shrink, but unfortunately began to have breathing trouble. As a result my husband got worried, and made me discontinue the treatment. I searched all over the new for any side effects of Acupuncture, but there is nothing. Only i guess, taking the medication wasnt a good idea. I want to go back to the treatment, but am worried she will give me similar med, which i dont want.
    i would love an opinion from u about acupuncture as such, even if its not for weight loss. how did u like it anyways? would u suggest it for anything?
    if anyone else also who took or knows about acupuncture, is reading this, kindly do share ur views as well!
    Thanks girls, for taking time out to write in here. I really appreciate it!:thankyou2:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  8. gauridatta

gauridatta New IL'ite

Hi tweenie, i had the same confusion as urs
    some time back. But i have formulated and asked professionals regarding this let me explain u the whole scenario.
    Wheat and rice both are rich in carbs and it is v v essential for our body and heart to work. Avoiding wheat especially completely will not give u desired results and it will lead to fatal condition. If possible try eating less rice say half cup cooked it will only give u 100-120 calories but ever try attempting avoinding wheat u will create problems for urself. Eat everything in moderation and with least oil again dont avoid oil or ghee completely coz ur skin is made of lipids and they are a nutrition when ate in limited portions.
    try drinking atleast 3 lts. of water daily it will promote wt. loss, curb hunger,removes toxins and making cellulite go easily which otherwise is a big problem. Often we mis understand thrist by hunger, our body needs water and we think v need food. Try drinking loads of water u will loose wt. un knowingly and ur skin will glow.
    Restrict urself with 1200 calorie diet with atleast 1 glass of orange, 1 glass of grape fruit juice in the evening. TRY EATING APPLES DAILY, THEY ARE A BOON FOR WT. WATCHERS, say 1 apple in the morning and one in the evening.
    Have dinner at 7 and go to sleep at 11 meanwhile keep moving u will never put on wt. in ur life this is my personal experience trust me
    ANY thing more tell me i will be obliged to help u

LUV GAURI
    :party

9. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Hi

Instead of eating rotis, I buy the sprouted wheat bread in the grocery store. Apparently sprouted wheat is better for you than regular wheat. I also followed the low glycemic index diet. According to this diet, I can have 5 servings each of starch, protein and veggies per day and 2 servings each of fats and fruits. One serving of starch is 2 pieces of bread or 1/2 cup of rice. 1 serving of protein is 1 cup of milk or 2/3 cup of yogurt. 1 serving of veggies is 1 cup raw veggies or 1/2 cup of cooked veggies. 1 serving of fruit is 1 small fruit or 1.5 tbsp of dried fruits. 1 serving of fat is 2 tbsp of oil or butter or 1 ounce of regular cheese or 2 ounces of low-fat cheese.

I tried accupuncture for curing my pcos and was not too happy with the treatment. But the diet tips she gave me were invaluable and I've lost 22 pounds this year following her advice, which includes replacing rotis with rice! You have to be really careful abt the medicines they try to sell you. I told mine that her medicines gave me diarrhea so I could not take it. She also tried to sell me a whole body detox program and had to really resist on that!

I also practice deep breathing excercises which I think give the same benefit as accupuncture. Take in a deep breath for a count of four, hold for 2 and then let it out for another count of 4. Do this for 5 minutes before going to bed and see how much better you sleep!

Don't know if you are trying to conceive but if you are then don't diet very seriously. 3 pounds in 10 days is too much weight to lose. You don't want to lose more than 1-1.5 pounds per week. Eats lots of veggies, nuts, seeds and atleast 100 gms of protein per day and limit carbs to no more than 125 gms per day. Eat atleast 1600 calories per day if you are trying to conceive and 1400 per day if you want to lose weight. And instead of eating 3 large meals, eat 5 meals consisting of breakfast, lunch, dinner and 2 snacks. Also checkout the website called FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal. This allows you to track your caloric intake and gives you a good idea of how nutricious your diet is. There is also a tool in there to track your weight and excercise routine.

Hope this helps!

Pooja

10. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

Hi Pm,
    Amazing that u lost 22lbs..

How abt posting a menu plan u followed and the exercise regime?

I think by 1/2 cup of rice u mean cooked rice...is it white or brown?

What are the foods u totally avoid....

How abt oats and other high fiber legumes?

Pls help us with a chart...