Question about periods after birth

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by ptamil2007, Dec 21, 2007.

1. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I am a first time to be mom and I have some queries regarding periods after birth:

1. Immediately after child birth, do periods start?
    2. Will there be heavy blood flow since there has been no periods for the nine months?
    3. What kind of sanitary pads would be required?
    4. Are there any items that I should get for myself before labor?

Please do let me know as I would like to prepared

You may like to read our article on the subject:

8 Important Things about Your Periods after Child Birth

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Hi Pavithra,
    Immediately after childbirth (whether normal delivery or a C-section) bleeding starts and is quite heavy for the first 7 - 14 days , slowly becomes pinkish and watery and finally you get a watery kind of fluid. Totally may last upto 4 weeks post-delivery. You will require good extra-large type sanitary pads (no tampons) for this duration, esp first 2 weeks. Disposable panties are another option.After that when your normal cycles resume depends on whether you breast-feed or not. If you BF usually periods are delayed (may take even 9 -10 mnths) but in some women they can come back as quickly as 6 weeks post-delivery. If you dont BF then periods will resume within 6 - 8 weeks. The first period after cycles start again is supposed to be heavy.
    Other than the pads, if you plan to BF then you will need 3-4 nursing bras and some nursing/front-open nighties. You could also have a few clothes (salwars/tops) which you can wear outside and which have a front opening for nursing when you go out. Other optionals are breast pads and breast pumps and a cream for sore nipples.
    HTH. (We seem to be meeting on every forum!).

Vanathi.

3. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Ptamil, I second Vanathi's reply. For me the bleeding after delivery wasn't very heavy but it was for 2 weeks. While in hospital I used disposable panties... they're practical. My regular periods started from 6 weeks after delivery and wasn't heavy again but for the first 2 months it was for 10 days... no cramps anything (that was my pregnancy miracle!). I'd highly recommend buying disposable breast pads (or nursing pads as they're called).. i also used washable ones but they kept slipping and didn't soak that well. You'll need it even at home initially.

4. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi Vanathi and traveller,

Really really thank you for that piece of information.
    These disposable panties I havent seen them or used before, can u tell me which kind of stores have it? I have to look for them here in Finland if not ask my mom to get them, Also the heavy sanitary pads are one thing which I have to look for.

Yes I would definitely be breast feeding, in that case, I have to find out what these nursing pads look like and what are names in Finnish (its real tough here with the language).

But definitely your replies have given me certain things to be added to my 'To-do list'

Yes Vanathi, we seem to meet each other quite often :cheers

Thank you once again

5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Disposable panties are available in Chennai in a shop opposite Bouncing Baby in Nungambakkam. I've forgotten its name but its a lingerie shop. You also get nursing nighties there.

Vanathi.

6. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hello Ptamil, I bought disposable panties from health and glow (i think the name is changed now). It's also available in Naidu hall. I found them with great difficulty in Germany but it's lots more cheaper in India. As for sanitary napkins i used regular ones. But you can also buy longer ones ( i don't know if any special size is available for post-delivery) which prevents staining when you're lying in bed... but it doesn't really matter. you just need to change often. Washable nursing pads are available in naidu hall. Disposable ones I bought in Germany from a shop that sells baby and maternity stuff. Look for them there or any shop that sells baby food etc., (atleast in Germany we find them there). Generally naidu hall in T.nagar sells lots of baby related stuff. Ask your mom to check it out.

7. msquare

msquare Senior IL'ite

really great piece of information from you. thanks for the input.

8. desiprincess

desiprincess Senior IL'ite

Hello ladies..
    I had a baby girl by c-section on 8/8/08 so its been almost 7 weeks. Its just that I had stopped any post natal bleeding after 2 weeks of delivery. I had some spotting for like 3 more weeks then completely nothing for 1 week. Only recently I have started spotting again for the past 4-5 days. It only happens after I wake up in the morning, first I thought it was my period ( I'm BF anyways) so I took a pad but then nothing the whole day. The next day same thing happened after waking up and nothing the whole day. I get cramps after bleeding ( sometimes more then spotting) it feels like I'll get my period but then nothing happens. I called my gynec and she said maybe its period or maybe my uterus is cleaning itself out or I'm disturbing my healing uterus by picking up something heavy. The blood is usually dark red and sometimes light pink.
    Please let me know what are your thoughts....

Desiprincess

9. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Hello...

I am first time mom too. I got my periods after 5 weeks. As I stoped breastfeeding after 2 weeks. As I wasn't producing enough milk, so my baby is on Similac advance formula now. I don't konw if its normal to have period that early or not.

Regards

10. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Amicable - its normal to have your peiod around 6 weeks post-partum esp if you arent BFing.

Desiprincess - Sometimes spotting occurs irregularly during the first 2-3 mnths in BFing mothers. I had it for 3 mnths and for me it happened every 2 weeks and always after a feed. I assumed that the oxytocin released during a BFing session was also stimulating my uterus to contract and bleed. Could be the same for you too.

Vanathi.