Question about Basal body temperature

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by dkbabu, Jan 6, 2008.

1. dkbabu

dkbabu New IL'ite

BBT for getting pregency

Hi friends,
    For those who are trying to conceive have you heard about basalbody temperature(BBT), I donno the detalis of it I just herad from my friend that BBT gives 99% of positive results, still M searching abt this on net, please you can share your ideas here
    -kalyani

2. dkbabu

dkbabu New IL'ite

3. lilflower

lilflower New IL'ite

Have u noticed a dip in ur BBT charts immediately after a possible ovulation surge?
    I have a 32 day cycle and had a steady pre-ovul'n temp. The temparature dipped on day 17, and a sharp surge on day 18 ...I was happy and thought I had ovulated...but the very next couple of days (day 19, 20) there was a sharp temp dip.. bonk
    Did anyone ever experience this? I googled and learnt that it could be an estrogen surge that reduces the temp after ovul'n..I have not yet had a positive OPK either, so not sure if I've ovulated after all :(.
    Can anyone help me with more information on this?

4. Ihita

Ihita New IL'ite

Re: Can BBT temps dip after ovul'n?

Hi ,
    I've been charting my BBT for nearly 8 months. I have noticed a dip in the temp only before ovulation (which was not clear in many cycles..) But after the ovulation there is a rise in temp which lasts for 2 weeks. I have never experienced a dip like you did.
    I read somewhere that oestrogen is a cool hormone i.e it causes lower temp and progesterone is warm .So after ovulation, where progesterone dominates it has naturally got be warm (i.e higher temp). Not sure ,though.

-Ihita

5. lilflower

lilflower New IL'ite

Thanks for your reply, Ihita! :)
    I'm charting for the first time this month, and know that ideally the temp has has to remain high after ovulation..I took the temp again this morn (day 21) and it was low today as well....found that weird! i think either am making some mistake, or my cycle is weird..
    Can't help feeling a bit anxious but I guess I'll have to chart for a few more months and see..
    I sometimes feel this ttc thing gets to me, it's only my first month of ttc, but getting so caught up in this. Sometimes i feel like stopping taking bbt and let nature take its course..

6. uragem

uragem New IL'ite

Dear lil'flower,
    i feel the whole thing about noting bbt temp first thing in the morning, and the intense disappointment that comes when the thermometer shows weird numbers bodes no good for ur cycle either..infact, stress can delay ovulation or drive the cycle haywire..this has happened to me many times!

if this is ur first attempt at ttc, if you are young, and you have time, it's better to avoid taking the help of external technology atleast for the first 6 months of ttc. I would advise you to forget bbt, forget opk, just relax, take the thought of ttc out of your mind and be light hearted, have reg intercourse, and it'll happen one day :)...

-- uragem

7. Ihita

Ihita New IL'ite

Hi
    I understand how you feel.Recording the BBT everyday in not easy.The worst thing is when the temp chart shows something like what you see.My cycle is totally unpredictable & I get upset as soon as I wake up because of the irregularity.But I'm still doing it...Hoping that it becomes ok.

8. sreejag

sreejag Bronze IL'ite

hi,
    as far as i know, it is not good if the temperature drops after ovulation. they say it must raise. take care.

regards,
    sreelata.s

9. sarithaa

sarithaa New IL'ite

Hi

I too started fertility charting from last 1 month,
    found that temp droped after 3 days of ovulation and then it was on high again till start of next period,
    the reason may be because of time
    you are supposed to take the temperature at same time

try taking temp at same time for 1 month ur chart will be normal

Good Luck
    bye

10. sarithaa

sarithaa New IL'ite

Hi
    I found my Basal Temperature is as low as 96.5 sometimes (in first 2 weeks of my cycle)
    is it normal, the chart starts from 96.9 so I am bit worried
    Did any body see like this

please reply
    bye