Query about breast pump-Pls help

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by SreejaJitin, Jan 12, 2008.

1. SreejaJitin

SreejaJitin New IL'ite

Hi All,

Hope all are doing great! I am facing a problem for more than a month during breast feeding..Please do offer any suggestion you have.
    My son is now more than 2 months old. Initially i feced the problem of cracked nipples and I used to cry during feedings! But then coconut oil and turmeric application worked.
    But when he was 6 weeks old, again the pain started and the pain persisted even after each feeding- so much so that I could not sleep at nights. I consulted 2 doctors and both dismissed the problem as excess milk.But the pain was so unbearable, so the 2nd Doctor gave me some pain killer-LyserD. It soemwhat worked.
    I express milk after each feeding and takes one hour during bath for just that. But its the 4th week and still Im going through the same pain. Doctor says its not good to continue the painkiller. So Im thinking of using breast pump, but some say it is painful. Please advise me in this regard. Which kind of pump is more useful?
    I have lumps on both breasts, and Doctor said it is some kind of fibroid.Could the pain be related to this?

Thanks in advance.

2. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sreeja,

Breast pumps are not painful at all! It might be that because right now you are so tender, the first few times it will be a little painful (but believe me it will be less than the pain you encounter during feeding).

I used Medella automatic pump for 10 months and it was a boon.

Medella in general is a good brand and recommended by doctors and hospitals in the US.

Take care and I hope you feel better soon,
    love,
    Aarushi

3. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Hi Aarushi

Did u get the pump for rent or by own..

4. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

I bought my own..it was a dual automatic one...

5. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Thanks Aarushi,can u give me the brand name, is it worth buying it, is it working good?

6. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

It was Medella brand. Very good and easy to use. I used it for 10 months and it worked fine.

7. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Dear Sreeja,

I have a breast pump which I sparingly used (some 3 times or so). I discontinued using it because my daughter refused to take the bottle. This is a good model and I would like to sell it. Please let me know through PM if you are interested - it should be easy to ship it as I see that you are also in bangalore. It is a manual pump and I will give you more details if you are interested.

This apart, I just thought that you may want to check with some gynic about the lumps. Take care.

Cheers,

Sumathy

8. SreejaJitin

SreejaJitin New IL'ite

Hi Aarushi & Sumathy,

Thanks a lot for the help. I bought a manual pump today and it is not painful at all.
    Thanks again Sumathy. I checked the mail after buying it! :)
    Was urs pump slow in getting milk initially? And will our milk production will increase by using it? Becuase if so, it will be doubling my problem.

Cheers,
    Sreeja

9. glowmom

glowmom Senior IL'ite

i had Medela electric pump and it worked great.

breast pumps dont get out as much milk as baby will coz natually baby is more efficient in drawing out milk.. i dont know what your plans are. are you going to pump and feed the baby everytime.. if so, you need to make sure your milk let down happens for you to get maximum milk out.. also make sure you completely empty each breast so your milk production stays up..

good luck and definitely get your breast pain addressed also by a good doctor..it is not normal to have pain in the breast if you are breastfeeding.. breastfeeding should feel good and not hurt after initial weeks..

10. SreejaJitin

SreejaJitin New IL'ite

Thanks Glowmom. I use breast pump after each feeding so that the breast is emptied completely. Though it pains, I love to feed my son as the happiness on his face while feeding can not be missed!
    I consulted a surgeon and is on medication now.Pain has reduced and i hope it will go off completely. Thanks for the wishes. :)

Cheers,
    Sreeja