Queries on Sweet & Dessert Recipes - Go Here!

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by vkn, Jan 25, 2006.

1. vkn

vkn New IL'ite

I just discovered this great forum today and instantly joining you all. Thank you sooo much Chitvish for letting me know about this forum.

To give a little brief - I am VK Narayanan, an Indian food blogger, niching and blogging at My Dhaba about traditional Indian home cooking.

Which is your favorite Halwa? and How do you make it?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2008

2. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

Recipe-related queries

Hi friends,

I wanted to make tiramisu(eggless) the weekend next. Could anyone give me a tried and tested recipe for the same? I found numerous recipes online, but don't know which one to go with. Hence, if any of you has tried and also made it successfully, could you share it with me please?

Thanks in advance-
    Shalini

3. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Re Tiramisu

Dear Shal,
    This recipe is from Allrecipes.com. They have some wonderful selection of recipes. This recipe got good ratings on their site. Anyway, you can substitute the Splenda with regular sugar and try. I have never made Tiramisu. But this ones looks to be very easy to make and should come out well. I have made other recipes like biscotti and christmas cake etc from this site and they are usually excellent!! Good luck and let me know how it came out.
    • 1 1/2 cups hot water
    • 3 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
    • 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
    • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
    • 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
    • 1 cup SPLENDA® Granular
    • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 1 angel food cake, purchased from bakery
    • 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
    <CONCORDANCE-END /><HR class=hr1 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 8px 0px 0px; PADDING-TOP: 8px">DIRECTIONS:

<CONCORDANCE-BEGIN />
    1. <LI style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000">Dissolve instant coffee in hot water. Chill in refrigerator. Cut angel food cake into 1 cubes. Set aside. <LI style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000">Combine mascarpone and cream cheese in mixing bowl. Beat until smooth. Add 2 tablespoons coffee, dark brown sugar, SPLENDA® and vanilla. Mix well. Set aside.
    2. Pour cold coffee into shallow 9X13 inch pan. Quickly dip half of angel food cake pieces into coffee, and then place in medium glass serving bowl. Spread half of cheese mixture on top. Sprinkle with 1 tsp cocoa powder. Repeat with remaining angel food cake, cheese mixture, and cocoa. Cover and chill for three hours or overnight before serving.
    <CONCORDANCE-END />

Note:

Assemble tiramisu in pretty serving bowl or create individual desserts by assembling in large wine glasses.

Variation:

To make Berry Tiramisu add fresh raspberries or blueberries in between cake layer and cream cheese layer.

Vandhana

4. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

Thanks a bunch!!

Vandana,

You help me with my queries the quickest! Thanks for being there:)

Love-
    Shalini

5. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Tiramisu

Dear Shal,
    you are welcome. Anyway, you can also use the packaged ladies finger cakes that are available.

Vandhana

6. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

Help with Carnation Evaporated milk

Dear friends,

I usually buy Nestle Carnation condensed milk, but today for some reason, I ended up buying Carnation's evaporated milk(unsweetened i guess). Could anyone suggest sweets/desserts I could make out of this? Also, can I replace it for condensed milk by adding more sugar? If so, how much sugar should I add?

Thanks,
    Shal

7. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Tres Leche Cake

Hi Shal,

This is a Mexican Dessert recipe. Tres leche means 3 milks.

Very easy to make. If you have the time, you can make the cake yourself. Else you can buy the pound cake and make it.

Ingredients:
    I loaf of pound cake or a 8" round cake ( white or yellow cake) ( you can use the ready cake mix to make this)

1 can evaporated mik
    1 can condensed milk
    1 cup of milk ( 2%)

1 to 2 cups whipped topping( you can use the light version. or you can buy heavy cream and whip it with sugar)

1. Make the cake according to package instrcutions. If you bought the pound cake loaf, cut it into 1 inch thick slices.
    2. Using a fork, pierce the cake at a few places.
    3. Blend together the condensed milk, evaporated milk and plain milk.
    4.Pour the mix ture over the cake till it is completely saturated with the milk.
    5. Refrigerate for atleast 3 hours.
    6. Top with the whipped topping and serve.
    You can also add fresh strawberries, cherries on top. Also you can add some flavored liquers to the milk mixture( like chocolate, almond or orange)

Vandhana

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Evaporated milk

Dear Shal,
    It is possible to add sugar and carry on with the evaporated milk as in condensed milk. How much sugar depends on your usage. You can also use evaporated milk in preperation of indian sweets such as carrot halwa and kheer. The recipe by Vandhana sounds yummy too...if we don't mind the calories :))

L, Kamla

PS: The can covering should specify if it contains sugar or not?

9. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

10. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

Thank you all!

Dear Vandhana, Kamla and Vidya,

Thank you all for the suggestions and recipes. I will hopefully try one of them this weekend and give feedback.

I had bought it with gajar halwa in mind, now I have no idea what I'll end up making using the can!!

Thanks again friends,

Love
    Shal