1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Queries on drivers license?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by sheeba, Jun 7, 2005.

1. sheeba

sheeba Junior IL'ite

Hello friends,

I recently went to license office to take an instruction permit to learn driving. I came to know the license office issues photo ids too.

Just wanted to check out with people here in H4 visa status - whether it is required to get a photo ID card? Wouldn't the license be enough since it has the photo in it for identification? Have any of you seen the requirement for photo IDs in any instances or locations?

Kindly let me know.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2006

2. simi

simi Junior IL'ite

Hi Sheeba,

I am here in H4 status. When I came here I did not know driving and it took some time for me to take driving license too. So we decided to get a photo ID. It is purely for identification purposes and having it you can avoid the risk of carrying the passport and visa wherever you go (unless you fly).

To my knowledge, if you are going to get your license then I don't see a need for photo ID.

- Simi.

3. Naveena

Naveena New IL'ite

doubts reg driving licence

A Big Hiiii to all Indusladies:wave

I am Veena currently living in Denver, Colorado, basically from Mysore. I amnew to this site and I found it very very useful and interesting. Kudos to the great minds behind it!

My husband has got Indian driving licence and also IDP and he is now trying to obtain Colorado driving licence. But the problem is, we may not be here for a long time and there are possibilities of shifting to some other state, most probably in the East. So my doubt is whether the Colorado licence will be valid in any state? If not, my husband need not obtain it here since we will be here only for a few more weeks.

Waiting for your suggestions, friends, thank you,

Veena.

4. bharthi

bharthi Junior IL'ite

It depends on the state

Hi Naveena,

It actually depends from state to state.

A while back, my husband had an Illinois driving license and moved to Texas. Texas state issued him a Texas driving license based on the fact that he already had an Illinois driving license. In Texas, he did it all online and didn't have to write the test or do road test again.

However, some states might not recognize other state's license and might want you to write the test and do road test again. The best thing to do is check with the license department of the state that you will eventually be going to.

You might also want to check this thread which has links to the driving license departments of each state in the US.
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2788

Bharthi

5. sunikris

sunikris Bronze IL'ite

Welcome to IL

Hi Veena..
    First of all Welcome :-D to the Indus Ladies.
    This is a great site.
    Our ladies r having good time.
    Thanks to the Administrator & Moderators.

Coming to ur Q..
    Here in US One state Valid driving license will valid in other states for 30 days or 60 days after u go there.
    This 30 day or 60 day validation purely depends on the particular state rules.
    One thing i can suggest u is first get ur husband's driving license in Colarado.
    Driving license is IMP id here in US

(Y bcz in in some states there r some rules for immigrants to get driving licence or for any other driving license xtension we have to go to state capital city DMV office..all painul process.. especially in New Hampshire
    So better to get license there itself.
    But u said u r going to stay just for few more weeks in Colarado.
    I believe after u give test, with in 45 days u will get driving license.

Hope this will help to some extent.
    Have a Great time in IL & all the Best
    Bye :wave

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  6. Naveena

Naveena New IL'ite

Thanks friends

Thank you friends for your quick responses and suggestions. They are of great help to us.

7. sonia

sonia Bronze IL'ite

driving test rules

Hi,

Its better to check rules of driving test.If the rules r easy in colarado then go to get driving license there itself. Coz in some states rules r really tough like in some states they put three four cones n u have to cross ur car through these cones in a jick jack manner.Which is really tough to pass.And in most of the states u can get ur driving license transfered on the name of the state in which u will move that also without giving test.We moved frm Ohio to Washington.They charge 45$ to change the license and we got on the same day.