1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Que Sera, Sera

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Que Sera, Sera. Whatever will be, will be. A simple message but how hard it is to accept the life as it comes. Beauty, health and wealth are all transient only for a certain period and when the time comes, the body is put into flames or buried, health deteriorates when the body decays and the possessions that one had passionately pursued and systematically saved passes on to someone else in a split second.

I was reading a story in Facebook. Yama Dharma was walking into Vaikunda to see Maha Vishnu and Garuda was watching him enter. He noticed that Yama Dharma was intensely looking at a parrot with a grin. Garuda thought it is unfortunate that Yama’s sight was focused on this little parrot. It took a flight to take the parrot seven seas and seven mountains away to leave it in a hole in the banyan tree safely. While leaving Yama Dharma was smiling at Garuda and when Garuda question Yama Dharma, he replied, “I was wondering about this parrot spending time here when it is supposed to die by the bite of a King Cobra seven seas and seven mountains away. Now I knew how that would happen.”

There are umpteen number of examples when we study the epics of Ramayana and Mahabharatha. Ravana thought the probability of him dying in the hands of a human being is nil and decided to cover all other celestial beings except a human being. He finally died in the hands of Lord Rama. Similarly, Thiridarashtra thought no one can bring his Kingdom down as long as unbeatable Bishmacharya is protecting his kingdom. Similarly Duryodhana asked for the army of Lord Krishna as he believed that would give him more military power than having Lord Krishna on his side. All these life stories in the epics prove to us that the pride plays a big role in bringing people down.

I spent considerable amount of time reading Ramayana and Mahaharatha at a very young age and in addition, I never failed to listen to Pravachanam by Anandarama Deekshidar, Krupananda Variyar, Pulavar Keeran and many others as there was no internet learning those days. Yet, pride got the most of me, be it when I finished my CA in 1977, when unsolicited interview calls came from Bank of America, Bank Nationale De Paris, Union Carbide, Delhi Cloth Mills, etc., when I got offers from the Gulf countries, when I maintained great health by jogging for 3-4 miles every day in what is now called East Coast Road, when I grew up at an accelerated pace in the software industry as a corporate executive after open market economy was embraced by the Indian economy in 1991, when I migrated to the United States on promotion to take greater roles, when I was able to get exposed to making an initial public offering in NASDAQ and when I traveled around the world to acquire companies and now when I am a partner of an Investment Banking firm interacting with number of companies to help them grow inorganically.

I have been humbled many times during this period of growth by many life-changing events which I hesitate to list here as it is too personal. Despite all that humbling experiences, pride not only survived through the troubling period but also played a prominent role. I have studied the life of many learned seers and they all led a simple life with absolutely zero pride. Is that because they have taken Sanyasam and renounced the desires and attachments? Can Grahastha fulfilling his duties in his role as Grahastha get rid of pride?

I understood that my pride comes from my emotions that I am the doer of all my actions. Even when I try to relinquish the fruits of my actions by providing selfless service, the pride still remains with me. Initially, I misunderstood the pride as self-confidence and later I figured out that they are different from each other. Suddenly, When I was overwhelmed with something that was happening in my life, one of my cousin sang this song Que Sera, Sera and like a flash it occurred to me that the only way I can get rid of my pride is to accept the life as it comes with no emotions. Whatever will be, will be.

[FONT=&quot]When I was just a little girl
    I asked my mother, "What will I be?
    Will I be pretty, will I be rich?"
    Here's what she said to me[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]"Que Sera, Sera
    Whatever will be, will be
    The future's not ours to see
    Que Sera, Sera
    What will be, will be"
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]When I grew up, and fell in love
    I asked my sweetheart, "What lies ahead?
    Will we have rainbows, day after day?"
    Here's what my sweetheart said[/FONT]
    The future's not ours, to see
    Que Sera, Sera
    What will be, will be"[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Now I have children of my own
    They ask their father, "What will I be
    Will I be handsome, will I be rich?"
    I tell them tenderly[/FONT]

The future's not ours, to see
    Que Sera, Sera
    What will be, will be"[/FONT]

7 people like this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Beautiful song Viswamitra and sums up the essence of the truth so sweetly. Yes, we cannot change that - whatever will be, will be. However, this acceptance is seen as a kind of fatalistic attitude in Indians by many. What needs to be made clear is that the "whatever will be, will be" can happen only after we have made our choice of action. Are our actions pre-determined? Yes and no. No, because we have freedom of choice. Yes, because that choice is most likely controlled by our previous experiences from this life time as well as from previous ones.

4 people like this.
  3. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

It is so true that most of the time our pride is perceived as self confidence by us.
    We even at times go to the extent of thinking...we are the doers !!!

But I realize what you say too...

Que sera, sera ...truth of life and existence ...

1 person likes this.
  4. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Well... Am still young & have not many life changing experiences so far... But point taken, shall keep my foot on earth how high I might fly! :)

Very beautiful message, Thanks for sharing! :)

2 people like this.
  5. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear viswa,
    Outwardly Que sera Sera seems to be a compromise for our inability and for all practical reasons, as Satchitananda has pointed out'que sera sera' can be adopted only after all our physical/mental efforts are over .

Indirectly the saying is a nice way of dealing with stress.

What does it mean when you find yourself saying—or thinking—"I can't take this anymore." We've all been there, yet these words don't mean the same thing to everyone. People reach their breaking point in different ways, according to their personalities. A person who balks under pressure may just stop responding entirely. Another person simmers, and then suddenly explodes. Everything depends on how you relate to stress, because reaching the breaking point happens when your ability to cope with stress breaks down.

Putting up with chronic stress is bad for both mind and body. The brain's stress response isn't set up to be triggered constantly, and the presence of stress hormones like adrenaline and cortisol over an extended period throws your whole physiology out of balance.

Physically, you are calm but not dull or fatigued. Inside your calmness you feel alert and alive, with more than enough energy to do what you need to do. This is what we need.

Modern culture is set up to reinforce a kind of restless existence. It glorifies action for its own sake, so that resting feels like giving up. One hears of people who claim to thrive on stress, who exist on thrills and need barely four hours of sleep. The reality is far different from the image, however. Being able to stay centered, relaxed and present is the optimal state of balance for mind and body. Being too stimulated, even by positive feelings, is stressful and unhealthy.

See a busy person.
    He works until he is fully exhausted.Then he seeks distraction with TV or computer surfing.
    Once he starts working, his focus in intense,rarely goes around.Takes life seriously without any humour.He overschedules,gets addicted to being busy.,constantly texting, mailing
    and multitasking.

All these behaviours push the brain to the brealing point.They mistake stress for stimulation.Que sera sera is a wonder drug that keeps one in balance.

This trains you to deal with your anger and anxiety before they erupt.
    Reaching the breaking point means you are entering a danger red zone.
    Some so called workaholics and those branded 'responsible ambassadors' may phoo phoo the idea of 'que sera sera ' is a 'fit for nothing' quote.
    But it is like a speed breaker warning you of the impediments ahead. creating an awareness of realities and impossibilities and above all keeps your balance always.

Perhaps it is the mantra of'sthitha pragna'( equi poise) conveyed in Gita.
    A thoughtful snippet.,Viswa,

jayasala 42

2 people like this.
  6. Viswamitra

Dear Satchi,

You are right. Our actions are not predetermined but results are. One has to make the best possible effort and leave the results to be whatever it will be. Even using the tool of free will by itself is incorrect without using the tool of discrimination. When discrimination is applied on our free will, we begin to do the right thing. We have to remember that in forgetful state, we are not aware of our past actions and consequences. That is a gift because the human beings would never do actions, if they know the results in advance.

Thank you for your first and invaluable response.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

@VanithaSudhir,

Thank you for your response. Pride perhaps overwhelm us packaged as self-confidence. Doership is the main cause for our pride. Only when we experience that we don't control the results of our actions, our pride takes a beating. Even when we say, "I will fix it", sense of pride is dominant.

"You be the change that you want to see in the world". Mahatma Gandhi's words are reverberating in my ears always. I have to do actions to the best of my ability and whatever will be, will be. I can change myself to accept it gracefully.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

@kaniths,

Let God bless you with a lot of happiness. You know when to talk off and fly and when to land already. You belong to a smarter generation that learns from others' experience and not wait until you have a life changing experience yourself. Let you be blessed not to have any such humbling experiences as you are willing to surrender to the fact that whatever will be, will be.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

Very well articulated response. Stress can never be a stimulant and accepting the reality is. One can never give up actions nor get stressed beyond manageable level. Stress is inevitable as human mind is trained to look for acting to derive solutions than performing the actions applying discrimination. In business, people use to call that process quality, service quality and product quality. How we stake up the processes and with what commitment that work is done results in final product quality. We should not focus on the end result and compromise on the first two.

I remember a joke in the company that I worked before. We were all trained to manage crisis in the business without any stress. At some point executives started joking that we have become such an expert in crisis management so that everyone converts an ordinary situation into crisis so that it could be managed better.

There is nothing wrong in putting our best foot forward but that has to be done with the mindset of self confidence and not pride and to deliver best quality and not result.

Viswa

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vishwa,

Just superb, and mind blowing, what u have said.

i have not read a single religious book, so i am not qualified to comment. i have learnt watching the world, the greed, the 5 kam krodh etc in people, and some tach me how to live life, and from most i learn what not to do in life.

As i am reaching the end of my life, now in my sixties,as i look back, i geel i was born at the right time, bcs if i had mobiles and computers , and imported goods at a young age, i would have been a spoilt brat, so i guess everything that god does, is for the right things.

Thanks for a wonderful piece, and this song by Doris Day, is my all time favouirite and ilisten to it once a day at least along with sound of music ones, on you tube which is a boon to me.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.