QQ regarding laptop adapter..

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by shrutidunwoody, May 28, 2010.

1. shrutidunwoody

shrutidunwoody Bronze IL'ite

Hello Ladies,
    I am planning to buy a Dell laptop, which is going to be used in India. I have a couple of questions regarding this?
    a) Do I need to buy a universal adapter (for conversion of voltage) since here in US its 110V and India it is 220V?
    b) If the above is not needed, do I just need to buy a 2 pin socket which will be used for charging the battery (as the power adapter is 2-pin and plugs in India are 3-pin)

Any help in this matter would be highly appreciated. Waiting on response. Thanks in advance.

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

No you will not need a voltage converter. Laptop power adapters are rated for 110-220 V input. I am quite certain Dell laptops are, because I own one. But, my Dell power adapter is 3-pin, I haven't seen one with just 2-pins but in any case you will need a pin converter since the adapters come with a flat pin plug which will have to be converted to the round pins used in India.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  3. raagini

raagini Silver IL'ite

Hi Shruthi, when you order / buy the laptop , ask that you need a universal adaptor (100V - 240V and
    50Hz - 60Hz) . in general Dell provides a 3 pin plug type adaptor, in which 3rd pin is dummy or ground .

you can get simple conversion plug adaptors (if required) from any electrical spare parts shop in India .

4. shrutidunwoody

hello Gauri,
    thanks for the quick response. I did check my personal laptop which is also Dell and the adapter mentions 110-220V,50-60 Hz. Regarding the plug for this adapter (which is a two-pin straight one), and the ones in India as you mentioned are round. So will I get these pin converters in India from an electrical shop? also these would just be a converter (meaning round to straight) and will not be associated with voltage conversion..rt?

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

You can get the adapters at AAA branch offices. Also you need a surge protector. I found a dual voltage one for travel at Office Max.

6. Gauri03

Yes you can find the pin converters in India too and no, they will not be associated with voltage conversion. Something like this. Tashi has brought up a good point. You MUST get surge protectors for use in India. You can buy those in India too. My SIL fried the motherboard on her Dell by failing to use surge protection while in India.

7. shrutidunwoody

8. Gauri03

They mention India, so I guess that should be fine for your requirements.