1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pythagoras And The Karmic Cycle

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Balajee Sir
    Thanks for your reply to my FB.
    2. It is a moot point for me to guess the quantum of my learning in my teens due to school syllabus or because of the environment it had put me in.
    3. But most of the learning comes from profound observations that is independent of school learning and to some extent age & family background.
    4. Among Iyer & iyengar families in the past in undivided India i.e.Bharat , entire siblings would be either doctors or lawyers. In T. nagar near railway track off east of Mambalam station Dr Duraisamy ophthalmologist was physician to ViIPs that includes members of Queen Elizabeth. His entire family members and his sons and grand sons and daughter all are renowned eye surgeons. They are all products of British education in India. What was wrong with that system? Britishers trained Indians for their benefit!

5. NCERT since it’s inception has been facing flak for inferior irrelevant information in its books printed on cheap paler. Experts sat around to include a line in history books in praise of moghal emperors like barber aurangazeeb donated funds to reconstruct temples. When PUC was abolished, lessons required to be taught in college were forced to be learnt at school level causing undue pressure on the pupils and school infrastructure. Students were to choose a stream that they can not change afterwards. Science fellow would not be good enough to become commerce man & vice versa.

6. Nobel laureate Venky Ramakrisnan a product of Hindu High School Triplicane chennai later studied to complete graduation and master’s from Presidency college university of Madras. He studied chemistry here. But in foreign country he was permitted to study botany for his doctorate . He turned a Nobel .

7. Despite all odds and politics in the academia, next gen is doing great. Many studied in IIT - GOVERNMENT institution - we’re permitted to serve other nations. Brain drain ignored. Sabeer Bhatia - product of Pilani did well in USA and sold Patent for hotmail programme to Microsoft for 400 million dollars.
    Thanks and Regards.

Balajee likes this.
  2. GregoriaBoul

GregoriaBoul Silver IL'ite

Interesting thread here. Amazing forum.

3. Thyagarajan

4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Tyagu sir, education has to change with the need of the times. Okay let us add Venky Ramakrishnan to the list of laureates from India but still the list is minuscule compared to many other countries. Not that we lack a talent pool but the system does not give opportunities and the right framework for developing this talent. We are still caught in mthe rot learning system.The ghost of Maccauley still haunts us.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

I have been meaning to post this Screenshot_20210317-100847_WhatsApp_2.jpg from the day you posted this snippet! Math is funny/strange that way. I have had a love hate relationship with the subject all along and I relaize it is mostly based on the teachers I have had! Some teachers made me fall in love with the subject and thought I was amazing while others....But the battle lasted long enough that I eventually decided not to major in Math! But it seems to have a way of coming back and guess what I teach Math now but only upto 9th grade level and not to tout, am considered one of the best teachers in our school :) I must confess though that I work really hard to help kids love Math and many a time I seem to succeed also, perhpas because of the freedom I have in teaching, not contentwise as much as stylewise. I like to see a students' math mind vs math ability! It is fun. After all that teaching, I have to say I do love Math and only so much!

nayidulhan and Balajee like this.
  6. Thyagarajan

:hello:
    I enjoy reading your FB with a prop of Pythagorean’s cartoon. A teacher has to find a hypotenuse to reach quickly to address his wards. Exemplary.

You had hit the bulls eye. Majority of population begin their maths with hate as good pedagogy was absent. With advancement teaching stand revolutionised in general and in maths too with technology. Older ways of thinking yielded to newer methods out of box.

Kudos to you. Blessed are your pupils. And touchwood perhaps: teachers with passage of time automatically get honed up and their teaching gets better and efficient which reflects in class average marks in exams. There is a school to assess teachers’ performance. In a model class for teachers a set of adults were to act as pupils
    Juxtaposed with another set of real students. I acted as an adult student moron and teacher was expected to make me understand a principle in maths. Teacher after teacher tried their methods ...very interesting.

When I joined as a summer vacation demonstrator in a tutorial college I sat in the maths hours when a brilliant professor of Maths was teaching fundamentals of trigonometry. Till then I was hating trigno. But the way he taught, I developed love for trigno and maths in general. You are on dot. Hate or love, maths or school- It it is crystal clear, it all depends more on teaching method or methods more than the syllabus per se.

R was my pupil in private tuition for degree level maths. When I began teaching him calculus, I remember he was asking in utter confusion why “d” doesn’t cancel out in dy /dx .
    After two decades, when I was seeking admission to a boy, found him as principal of government college that is overlooking Bay of Bengal in Chennai!

Thanks and Regards.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    Srama likes this.
  7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Hariji I think you were in school during the (relatively) halcyon pre-modern maths days . But still your teacher's method is problematic. In that you have to know first 2plus 1 is thyree and 3 plus 2 is 5. If I didn't know that I have no chance of knowing that 2 plus 2 is four.

Thyagarajan and HariLakhera like this.
  8. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

That was just a joke. I was reasonable okay in arithmetics but hated algebra for its coaxing me all the time to find its X. Same for geometry. But then I secured over 55% marks which were compensated by other subjects to get me over 60 % marks and First Division.
    At primary level it was sort of rote learning and what we lacked it logic why two and two is four and not 3 or 5 or 22.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Loving math is very difficult. It is like falling in love with someone ugly with warts all over. But such a love is likely to be love at its purest. Some teachers can make any subject interesting. When I was studying in Italy, one of the professors had to hold his classes in the university auditorium and not in the classroom because even students who didn't opt for his subject flocked to his classes to listen to him! There are such charismatic teachers. Yes, maths, at least basic arithmatic is an inseparable part of life. Everyone should knoe that much maths but not necessarily any more unless they are really passionate about the subject.