1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Putting Books In Recycle Bin?

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Rihana, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:
    In rural south India and in outskirts of urban cities and interior Indian highways one can see bamboo- winnows looking freshly knitted.

2. Winnowing seems Far more efficient with winnows made of bamboo. The stainless steel winnow is smooth and not suitable to remove groundnut brown skin.
    Thanks and Regards.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Rihana and Flyhigher like this.
  2. Thyagarajan

That Nutan in 1976-77 was supposed to be the most efficient kerosene stove during those days.

It had the blessings of Indian Navarathna Indian Oil Co. with twelve one foot Long wicks each through a tubular hole of 3 - 4 inches long adjusting the flame used to be a tricky or ticklish affair. One or two wick turns slimmer and would drop off into kerosene tank. It was used for making hot water during winter in New Delhi just for one season.

And thanks for mentioning “Thyagu” there for getting into the details of that pulp for winnows and glad that you got into those nostalgic thoughts. Thanks are also so due for that winnow in illustration.

Regards.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Rihana likes this.
  3. Thyagarajan

upload_2021-3-3_18-48-10.jpeg

A shelf with books in display half of it half read . For selling these books, above image posted online - a few buyers turned up: but picked up books from other lots which kept for reviewing.
    Now, every time I look up this shelf of books - this thread cross the mind.
    Thanks and Regards.

Rihana likes this.
  4. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Gold IL'ite

:worship2: You are great at figuring out stuff.

Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

That Chicken Soup guy has really milked (soup'ed?) the initial idea! I could make out two of the book names - Chicken soup for the soul at work, Chicken soup for the Indian soul at work. What is the title of the red one at the top? And the black one at the bottom?

Wait.. I spied a few more. Please revert back with the names of all the Chicken Soup books in the picture. : )

Would be a fun thread if we upload pictures of our book shelf. Maybe with confessions of "did not even open it", "read few pages" to "read it many times."

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nice to read the narration, Thyagu. You were enterprising way before jugaad became hep enough to enter the Oxford dictionary. : )

We used to collect comics and other regular sections of weekly magazines and get them bound once in few years. I recall an argument with the neighbor who did this as a small side business. We didn't agree on how much of the edges needed to be trimmed. : ) My mother used to examine the bound book after we got it home -- one check was not too much of the left edge of each page getting hidden and hard to read due to the binding.

Thyagarajan and Flyhigher like this.
  7. Thyagarajan

That remind me the strips glued attached to each left end of page before binding to increase the gutter that go disappear In left with stitches.

I see your delight in recalling mom and those boundedcomics.
    Thanks and Regards.

Rihana likes this.
  8. Thyagarajan

:hello:I owe my thanks to my son who regularly contributed to chicken soup champak and other comics. His suppandi comics found place. He playfully told me that I should begin writing articles to news papers and chicken soup too. We both had few of ours published in th these souls and they paid well with two copies as complements for few titles.
    You find few in that shelf but few more in other lots.
    In the image these are the titles:
    Soup for unsinkable soul (at left bottom)
    Soup for Indian mothers
    Soup for IITian's soul
    Soup for Indian golden soul ( right bottom)
    Thanks & Regards

Rihana likes this.
  9. Thyagarajan

:hello:
    Thanks not for prostration or genuflect but for appreciating.

I never throw paper out.
    Every piece of paper as a boy I gathered and piled it up till it weighs substantially and encash it.
    In summer exhibitions in open grounds, every stall distributes bills, leaflets or literature of products - all these boys used to collect for what you guessed it correctly. That is our money. We could spend that “pocket money earned” in whatever way we deemed it fit.
    One can make capital if only he or she applies mind to it.
    Regards.

Rihana likes this.
  10. Thyagarajan

:hello: It was an accidental read - a novel during a hopping flight from Gwalior to then Bombay now Mumbai that took around five hours. A broken stout novel along the stem found in the net bag in front of the backrest of other seat along with other magazines and local news letters. I read it through flight and it halts at Indore,Agra, Jaipur and Poona. This novel - the last quarter of it that was missing contained the suspense breaking chapter or chapters. While deplaning, i took it with me with permission of air hostess.

I could not get to read the end for almost a year. Then one day when I opened that broken book , i found a visiting card. An idea flashed. I rang up the number printed on the card.

Brig. AL Verma answered. I said about the book I picked up during flight and desired that
    “ the suspense be told” which he seems to have torn and taken it away. He laughed and crisply said “ yeh! THYAGHEEI - after that flight - I was your boss in Bombay”. The novel is a movie now - you watch it “Eye Of The Needle”. Astounded. I think it was in 1981-82.

This half book picked up from a flight was with me for over four decades. Every time spouse picks it up for ruddiwala, I used to take it out away, while she would be frowning. Recently nearly after forty five years, with welled up eyes i bade farewell to it when it was being weighed along with other books and notes by ruddiwalah .

The Author of the novel “Eye of The Needle” is Ken Follett.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    Rihana likes this.