1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Putting Books In Recycle Bin?

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Rihana, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

shravs3 and Rihana like this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks guys. I have tried all the options in my area. These are books left over after all giving away what I could using those options.

Funny aside: My friend does this recycling with no qualms but if I or my gardener uproot and put out even the smallest plant or shrub by the curb, she will come running and offer to take it. : )

3. Rihana

I was smiling and reading, reliving the times the kabadiwala came to our house in my childhood .. then I see the happens only in India.. : ) I cannot resist a happens in America too. : )

The kabadi truck comes to the home weekly. : )

Reusing textbooks is a big thing locally. When the public school moves to a new set of textbooks, they have hundreds of old ones to give away. It is a fun event when children and parents gather in the school forum or go to individual class rooms and choose what they want. The English or Language Arts books are in high demand. Some local volunteers also arrange the shipment of books to other countries.

When the Covid WFH and online school started, we thought of making a few of these libraries:
    Little Tree Library Pictures
    Homepage - Little Free Library
    We even had approval from our city and couple of nearby ones. I still want to but the enthusiasm from my cohorts waned. I cannot operate those wood cutter and grinders thingies by myself.

===
    Thanks to procrastination.. I was resorting those books yesterday and found one in which I had written a heartfelt message to the recipient on the first page. That recipient got an earful about discarding the book.

hrastro and Flyhigher like this.
  4. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Gold IL'ite

DH still have his Amar Chitra katha, Champak, Chandumama books. He have binded those and kept nicely, he is so fond of his collection. After our marriage I bought them here with us. Then later my siblings and DH’s brother kids had them for few years, now my neighbours grand kids.

Rihana and hrastro like this.
  5. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Gold IL'ite

I found some of these cute ready made easy fix ones. I hope these helps
    Outdoor Lending Library Neighborhood Community Shared Loan | Etsy

https://www.amazon.com/LITTLE-FREE-LIBRARY-Unfinished-Kit/dp/B076ZSCX7M

Rihana likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

In India too this kind of service available on net. One has to neatly arrange books with titles on stem in shelf take photo and post in the net. A rep would come and take it . It can be given free or and for cash. Some collect books and sell it in volumes I. E. Per kilogram of weight . Three boxes of different capacity/size kept ready. Customer choose one box, fill it with books of his choice till the brim and pay by weight.

upload_2021-2-27_19-25-59.jpeg

A Nobel deed indeed: and I am sure it is being done at end / beginning of every academic year.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Rihana likes this.
  7. Rihana

I loved that annual renewal of the winnows and sieves. The making of the pulp involved some use of the stove, like for heating water or something. That was done only on the kerosene or Nutan stove, not the precious-resource gas stove. The print of the newspaper and the ash color of the newsprint made the winnows look dull. One year, a new neighbor who moved into our street gave the ladies the idea of adding a dash of turmeric in the paste. It was a game changer. Even the maid servant who used to complain about having to do these "extra" tasks once in few months, used to ask us kids to check if there were any more winnow/sieve needing the pulp. : )

Only the edge of the circular sieves was supposed to get the sieve. As it half dried, we got to poke out any holes that got the pulp by mistake. I remember standing or sitting guard by the drying winnows so they didn't get blown away by the wind -- the moist pulp did not allow for the placement of heavy weight on it.

Good Lord.. nostalgia can be so potent .. I can actually recall the smell and feel of the pulp and how its color lightened as the pulp dried. In the waning sun around 5 pm, we kids felt so powerful when we got to examine the winnow and declare it as dried or needing another day in the sun. I swear we used to feel like umpires checking if the pitch was dry enough to resume play. : )

When the winnow or sieve was declared too weak for more use, the maid servant took it away .. but after giving it the pulp processing one last time.

bamboowinnow.png bamboosieve.jpg

=====
    Your post does it again, Thyagu. A chance mention of something in it makes me recall things I had long forgotten. In another post a short time ago, it was about parent letting the child have the last few sips from the chai cup and thus starting the chai habit in the child. Good thing I can ramble about these here... no one at home will listen to my stories for sure ... and I dread becoming that phoren relative who calls up nieces, nephews in India and starts long nostalgia filled stories on the phone. : )

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I love this story! I had no idea that sieves were made of bamboo or that winnows needed a paper pulp coat on it. Do people still do this? I’ve got to ask my Mom if she knew about this! She used to sells old newspapers and books on a periodic basis but I’ve never seen her reuse books in this way.

Thyagarajan, Rihana and Flyhigher like this.
  9. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Gold IL'ite

I have not seen late recently those bamboo winnows and sieves. Plastic and steel has replaced those.

I too remember those good old days of guarding those on our every summer holidays at grand parents place.

Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  10. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:BINDING - the very first business idea ever started in my mind while returning home for lunch break from school at 12 was binding. I happened stand in front of a manual press shop as a boy was trimming the sides of bounded book with help of manually operated press machine. As I stood watching daily for few minutes, I learnt how the binding is done.

Thus began my binding work for my neighbour who had collected serial stories from weekly Tamil magazines KALKI & ANANDA VIKADAN. I NEEDED COPPER SULPHATE, maida mix boiled to form paste and act like gum. Some thread thick needle, design decorative papers, calico cloth, scissors, knife and used 7 O’Clock twin edged blade. After binding and spending one Anna (6 paisa) for trimming of three sides from the press, I handed over the books to Aunty.

The sight of her favourite stories in binded books kept Aunty wide eyed for a moment & she gladly gave me a big size one rupee coin as a reward for binding the popular serials then ( பொன்னியின் செல்வன் , அரக்கு மாளிகை). For over decades this coin

Google Image Result for http://www.rankcurrency.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/1-Rupee-Coin-Of-India-1955.jpg

was in display along with framed images and idols of the Hindu Gods & Godesses in our prayer corner.

I tried around these times making of dolls using paper trimmings/shreds from that binding shop.

Thanks for nostalgia.
    Regards.
    GOD - Omnipresent - He is there in Waste too. He generates waste too around temples.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Rihana and Flyhigher like this.