1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Pursuing MS/MBA in the U.S.A on F1 or H4 visa

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by neha1, Mar 6, 2010.

1. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Thanks for your reply dear. I havesome more questions. Hope you do not mind answering.
    1. it would be 14K for the entire course on F1? What are the other costs that come up during the MS course? I think books will amount to anohter 1000$ per year. and then the transport cost is also there.
    2. how many years course is the MS there? 2 years or lesser?
    3. So,what happens to international students? does the college help them too? Eventually, do they land work visas?
    4.I could not find any accounting/finance courses in the hunter website. Do they have them?

What about your work/jobthen? I think You cannot work once your course is over..am I right? Can you apply for H1b then? Did you do an internship

Oh..my list of questions is sooo long!!!:hide:

Neha S

2. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

That is bad :-(
    anyway,thanks.
    Hmm.. ok..so, you have a commerce/math back ground. I am going to start fresh:)
    Good luck.
    Thanks for ur reply.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  3. pranam

pranam Senior IL'ite

Not at all - I would love to help out.

Heres the link to the bursar for the fees
    http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/bursar/repository/files/Tuition and Fee Charge Table 9-09.pdf

- Additional costs are books - You can cut this expense- as all textbooks are not required...Make friends with your seniors.I borrowed some textbooks from my seniors and saved cost.
    - Transport

- You can complete the course in 6months - 1year depending on how much load you can handle each semester.

- You can save cost by changing to F1 in second/last semester- You get the benefit of OPT and hunt for jobs..Else the only option is H-1

- Heres the link to the accounting course at Hunter
    M.S. in Accounting — Hunter Economics

Hope this helps

4. pranam

pranam Senior IL'ite

Hi Neha,

I keep getting a message that a moderator needs to approve the post and then it will be published.I answered all your questions in that.Hopefully it should be visible soon.

5. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Ok.That's fine. Hope it gets published soon.

Thank you so much for the replies.

6. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

That is so nice. Thanks!!!

this is good news to me!! I really did not know we can complete within a year.

Thanks for this info as well .Only problem might be if F1 visa gets rejected:hide: so,once we have F1 and we work during OPT(assuming we find a job), I think H1b should not be a problem. Am I correct?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  7. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Hmm..ok, this is a one year fee,right?
    I heard even Queens college,NY is a good one. It is part of CUNY as well. I need to do my research on that. any idea what is the application acceptance rate at Baruch? :)

8. pranam

pranam Senior IL'ite

Yes as long as your company is willing to sponsor which they would if they are happy with your work.Another piece of info , check whether your course falls in the STEM category.Here OPT is longer , I think 24 months as long as you are employed with an E-verify employer.

If F-1 gets rejected , you can still continue your studies on H-4 and apply for H-1 under master's quota once you complete.

9. pranam

pranam Senior IL'ite

Not sure about the acceptance rate for your course in Baruch..Yes go to the CUNY website where they list all colleges..Go through each one of them and decide what suits your requirements

10. pranam

pranam Senior IL'ite

It is the fee for the entire masters..When you finish the course depends on you.