1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Pursuing MS/MBA in the U.S.A on F1 or H4 visa

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by neha1, Mar 6, 2010.

1. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

thank you GiJoe:) for your reply.
    Exactly. I may have to take a break for kid/persoanl reasons in the middle of the course. For this, H4 will be useful. If it is part time class, then how many hours are the classes per day? Wil it affect my job prospects if I would have ot take a break in between of my course?

Yes, I do not want consultant. The hassles involved are too many, I feel. Though I know that many are going through it. Also, another reason is they might put me technical jobs even after a master's degree in finance:crazy. I really do not want this. However, sometimes I wonder if I am the only one feeling this:hide:. Many seem to want to
    'plunge' into IT. Anyway, this is an off topic comment.

thank you for the info on non profits. I think, they will surely be hiring finance/business professionals. That should help me with experience.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  2. GiJoe

GiJoe Silver IL'ite

There are three stages for GC,

Stage 1: Labour Certification
    Stage 2: I-140
    Stage 3: I-485

If the dates are current I-140, I-485 and EAD can be filed concurrently, but India has a huge backlog, the current date for India (Employment based) is 08 Sep 01 (If it is filed under EB3, 01 Feb 05 if it is filed under EB2, EB1 is current) Visa Bulletin for April 2010

Green Card Process : Employment Based Green Card

EB1 - All About Green Card EB-1 - Your Immigration Questions Answered by VisaPro
    EB2 - All About EB2 Green Card - Your Immigration Questions Answered by VisaPro
    EB3 - EB-3 - Green Card through Employment under PERM - Apply Online: Fast, Easy, Economical

3. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

oops.. I guess are I can't rely on GC ,in my case:bonk...it is like taking almost 9 years:spin
    I will have to concentrate on studies and then look for jobs that can offer me a visa as well..

4. GiJoe

GiJoe Silver IL'ite

Don’t think of non-profit organization as volunteering work and that they will not pay you good salary, there are lots of non-profit organizations that are flush with cash and most of them will pay well and they provide good benefits apart from salary.

5. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Good to know:). Even if I have to start with volunteer/internship jobs I am fine. This cannot be all my life though. I would definitely want salary too once I can establish myself well.
    Thank you

6. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Hi Gauri, I have done my research on Steven's and I am thinking of keeping it in my hit-list:thumbsup. thank you for your info.

Does any one have reviews/any idea on these colleges?
    I heard Rutger's is also a good college. I am looking at it too in addition to NYU polytechnic(seems expensive though).

Another thing that I just learnt is some students fake experience and use consultancy for jobs even after M.S. How true is this? I really do not want to fake experience as this is a reason I thought it is better to go for higher studies and take the right path. Does anyone know anything on this?

7. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Neha,

You are right about students faking experience and going to consultants to get a job.

During the early part of this decade due to the IT boom MS students used to graduate with 2-3 job offers but then in 2002-2003 the IT bust happened. There still were jobs in core engineering fields but the IT jobs dried up. At that time a number of students who could not get jobs after graduating started getting offers from consultants who basically promised the moon. They would claim to provide training and a stipend, and then eventually file for your H1. But MOST (not all) of these consultants were just taking advantage of students desperate to stay in the US by hook or by crook. They would make fake resumes showing years of experience and shop these students out to IT companies.

During 2005-2008 as the economy recovered students started getting jobs and fewer students approached consultants. But it is on the rise again because of the recession.

There are so many negatives to getting a job with this approach.
    - The consultant keeps a hefty percentage of your earnings.
    - The company that you work for treats you as a contractor so you get no benefits and are the first one to be laid off in a crunch.
    - The consultant is responsible for your green card which almost never gets filed.

The right way to increase your chances of getting a job after MS is to make a list of target companies early during your program. Then try to intern with one of these during your program. An internship nearly doubles your chances of getting a job after graduation. Mostly the company you intern with will hire you. Also start searching for a job 6 months before graduation. In all these years I am yet to meet a student who planned well and started his/her job search well in time and did not get a good job.

HTH!

8. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Hi Gauri,
    thanks again for your reply.

I guess this makes sense. unless, the company we target does not have any such oppurtunities:hide:
    I am being given demotivating comments by those whom I have asked about my plans in my real life. they say, a move to finance career will be like dooming my career:drowning. I should go on in IT. But, I really don't have the interest. If I do masters, I prefer a business subject like finance etc. I am so demotivated gauri. People are also saying in finance field, there is enough competition from Americans. We, international students, hardly land jobs:-(. is this true? I am not aiming at a top MNC, All i plan is a decent job; this dream of mine seems to be getting demotivated. does this mean there are people who do MS in a finance field/change their career and never find jobs?..I am confused now..
    anyway, will go on with my college hunt and GRe/GMAT prep:)

Neha S

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  9. mithy232

mithy232 Silver IL'ite

Neha,

I am not telling this to discourage you. Just wanted to share what I know since I am also trying to make a career. Now in the current situation, America is in no position to offer jobs to Indians. My friend who completed his Masters in Electrical & Electronics stream there in US is now learning software languages to get a job. So check if finance sector has job opportunities for Indians before investing in a degree.

10. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Hi Mithy,
    Yes,I do acknowledge that the situation is bad here and may continue to be bad for a couple of years more too. This is why I want to take an informed decision.