1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Pursuing MS/MBA in the U.S.A on F1 or H4 visa

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by neha1, Mar 6, 2010.

1. aruna_077

aruna_077 Senior IL'ite

Hi Neha,

First of all all the best..that you are looking fwd to higher education.

I have no answers to your queries except the last one.

Trust me, you will find the courses easier than in India. Because abroad, we have kinda continuous assessment... Its not just the final exams that matter like in India.
    So dont worry.

All the best once again!

2. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

thank you aruna, for your positive words:). I really thought it is too hard here as some had told me but I think 'hard' is a subjective word.

3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hey Neha,

I recently got back from a conference at the Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken, NJ. One interesting fact I found out is that 93% of grad students at Stevens have financial aid. Just thought that information might help you since you are looking at schools in that area.

How are the MS plans coming along?

4. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Hey gauri,

it was so considerate of you to come back to my post. thanks a ton:bowdown

Regarding my plans, I have spoken to few student advisors in CUNY and CUNY affliated colleges. I live in NY,btw. Most MS courses require a GRE. Hence, I am thinking of working on it as a first step. however, the major for me is still very hard to decide on:hide:.Right now, I am thinking of an India break for a couple of months. Some of my friends in India are suggesting that I should work there before I come back(about a year) so that I could work while I have the application and entrance process going on. I am going:crazy. Hence, not sure when I will start my education. However, I am clear on one thing - I do not want computer science related fields. I cannot be a programmer/coder after a master's degree:drowning. I really want to have a degree that will take me to a higher level or a different industry. some are confusing me about doing MBA. I don't have the interst though. their argument is if I am doing a masters, I might as well do MBA as it is more 'valued'. I prefer to do MS in some subject of my interst, may be accounting or human resources or whatever!!!

Anyway, good to know that many at stevens have financial aid. I will have to look into that aspect too as me and my husband will not be able to afford the entire fee on pur own and we do not want a loan for this. We already have a home loan:spin.

thank you again for getting back. really appreciate it.

5. GiJoe

GiJoe Silver IL'ite

Neha, You have your heart and mind set on the India trip so take a break and then you can decide what you want to do next, don’t take a course that does not interest you; you will find it difficult to finish and you will get frustrated because you are spending money on something you don't like, on the other had you have to think about ROI (Return On Investment) how much you are going to get back after spending X amount on a course. Good Luck.

6. Gauri03

No problem. I just posted cause I was in NYC and thought of you.

I think a break is best way to regroup. The application process is long and the idea of working while the GRE/MS application is going on, is a good one. In fact take all the time you need to decide a major because it is the best way to change tracks and pick an entirely new career.

Absolutely agree with you about the 'becoming a coder after MS' thing. I would hate that too. Correct me if I am wrong but I get the feeling that you want to do something other than both pure engineering and programming/coding. Look into programs like,

Accounting
    Actuarial Sciences
    Financial Engineering
    Engineering Management
    Management Information Systems
    Systems Engineering
    Quality Engineering
    Technology Management

An MBA is a good choice but only if you have a LOT of money. MBA programs rarely ever have financial aid and can cost as much as a house in a small city! So I totally see your point about the MBA.

Anyway, hope you have a great rejuvenating trip to India :thumbsup.

P.S: Stevens is not too far from NY city. In fact it is right across the Hudson from Manhattan and has the most gorgeous view of the Manhattan skyline.

7. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

exactly! I really want to go for a small trip. I am not getting the courage to book tickets as I am thinking how I will do without hubby dear :-(

I agree to what you say about major. It has to interest me otherwise no point. At the same time I should choose a subject that has a decent career scope anywhere in the world!!! so that tommorow when we R2I I should have good options in India too.

8. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Yes, you are right. I would like to take this oppurtunity to move out of IT coding!!! Thanks for the reply and this choice of majors. I am looking at accounting/finance. I do have HR in my mind. I am really confused and I am going to take my own time to decide the major. The only urgent decision I need to take is if I should go to India/apply H1B here and work untill the process is over as I am sure it will take 6months-1 year for me to get admission. H1B seems hard as of now, so in all probabilty I might have to be in India for this time.
    thank you once again for your support. I shall look into steven's as well. I prefer college in which I can commute daily.

I have few other questions. can you (and others) guide me?
    is it advisable to do full time or part time courses?
    are part time recognized equally as full time when getting internships/jobs/visa after the course?
    will these master's courses give me a work permit tommrorow, in case we do not apply gor GC etc.
    is it necessary for me to change my visa to F1 (now it is H4)

thanks

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  9. Gauri03

It is absolutely NOT necessary for you to change your visa status to study in the US. You can study both part-time and full-time on H4. There are some restrictions however. A part time degree can have the same recognition as a full time one. I think it depends more on the school and the major.
    - you cannot earn any income while on H4 status. This means you are not eligible for any kind of financial aid or campus jobs. The F1 visa allows you to work 20 hours to support yourself.
    - Tuition wise, there is no difference between H4 and F1. You will still be considered an international student and have to pay out-state fees.
    - One of the most significant advantages of studying on an F1 is the ability to work as a student. The F1 visa allows a student to work by means the Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and the Optional Practical Training (OPT). The CPT allows you to intern during your program. The OPT is for after you graduate. You will get a year to work while being on F1. If your H1 is filed during this one year, your OPT will be extended automatically until a decision on your H1 is made. The H4 visa does not allow you to work at any point.

Overall, I would advise you to study on F1 and not H4 since you will be able to support yourself. Also you will be able to file for your own H1 after graduation. Since waiting time for GCs are really long this could be very useful.

HTH

10. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Hi Gauri,
    thanks for the reply. Are you sure I need to pay out-state fee even if I am residing in the state for over a year? I thought this was a major advantage for H4.

However, even I think more advantage is there on F1 as I can do internships and other such oppurtunities while studying. only thing is I cannot take up part time courses.
    How many hours a day generally, do the colleges have for full time courses? like 8-9 hours in campus?

I am happy to know this. But, will I not need a job first? How hard is it to search jobs after the master's course. I am sure that companies,whatever may be the major, will be ready to hire candidates who have studied here more easily. Here, I am asssuming that all courses have equal career oppurtunities:bonk
    I have another question: what about teaching jobs? will universities/colleges file H1b for me(if I dont have GC by then) for teaching? I am also interested in teaching after master's