1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Purpose Of Life

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Sep 20, 2011.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Once there lived a saint whose fame went far and wide. He was very knowledgible too and people were always around him, asking one thing or another about various subjects. Irked by his popularity, a youth thought of a plan - to ask a difficult question and make him fish for an answer.

He approached the saint after many days and asked him the question - "What is the purpose of life?". The saint understood his intention. Whatever answer he gave, the youth would start asking more questions and refuse to accept too. He smiled benevolently and said, "There is someone who may answer this question better than me. Here, take it my child!". He just gave a feather which was unique - not that of any common bird and had many hues in it. "Get a feather like this from that bird. You will know!". The youth tried asking more, but was pushed by others. Besides, he had a mission now.

He started his journey soon and visited many places. Nowhere else he could see the bird which would have similar feathers. He asked directions from everyone and was looking at one place or another till an old man gave him the direction. "I have seen such kinds of birds in the Manasarovar lake in the Himalayan region. Why don't you try there?". The youth thanked him and started. Already a year had passed then. After so much difficulty, he reached the Manasarovar. Losing heart to the tranquility and the serene atmosphere there, he forgot his mission for a while. When he came back to his senses, he found not just one, but many birds having similar feathers soaring higher.

He couldn't believe his eyes for a while. Then he thought of the ways to approach them and possibly catch one of those for the feather. The bird that was nearest, came to him. "What do you want?", it seemed to ask him. "I just want one feather from you!", was all he said. It allowed him to pluck one and soon vanished from sight.

He returned to the saint and asked the question again. "Oh! Didn't you get it yet? Such species don't live after losing a feather!", the saint said.

2. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Nice one, but I did not understand. Please explain.

3. rgsrinivasan

Thanks for your fast feedback Raji. Its this - To serve others even if it takes your life [sorry had I not been obvious]. Remember - thats the saint's view. -rgs

4. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the prompt reply.

5. rgsrinivasan

Pleasure is mine - for I got 2 responses from you :) . -rgs

6. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

7. rgsrinivasan

Thanks for your appreciation Sabari. -rgs

8. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai RGS,

Indireclty you have mentioned that Server others is most important for our life
    to becomne a full fledged person on the earth. Nice one rgs.

9. rgsrinivasan

Thanks for your appreciation Sreema. How are you? -rgs

10. NithyaVish

NithyaVish New IL'ite

1 line crisp ending.. I like the way it was told.. I am reading all your short stories at once stretch & I am thankful for having this pleasure to read and enjoy.. and on top of all thank you for writing this on your blog :)