Punjabi dishes

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by sunkan, Sep 18, 2005.

1. ketal

ketal Bronze IL'ite

Re: spinach and Rajma

hi
    krishna mem

I most like Punjabi dish .We try this r’p but my ? is how can prepare now spinach gravy

We are add to tomato but my gravy is black how can maintain green color this r’p.
    ketal

2. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

hi Ketal,

When you prepare only spinash gravy, you can get the green colour. But when

you add rajma in that, (rajma is red in colour) the red colour and green colour

turn in to black only:icon_frown: . That is why you are not getting the green colour.

ok ya?

3. enjoylife

enjoylife New IL'ite

punjabi bhindi do pyaza

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TD vAlign=top width=277 bgColor=#ffffff>"Do pyaza" denotes presence of double the quantity of onions than that found in any other style of preparation. The curds added towards the end of this dish add more sharpness to this dish.

Cooking Time : 15 mins.
    Preparation Time : 10 mins.

Serves 4.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="80%" border=0>Ingredients
    <TABLE cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TD vAlign=top width="15%">
    <TD width="85%">3 cups bhindi (ladies finger), sliced<TD vAlign=top width="15%">
    <TD width="85%">1½ cups onions, chopped<TD vAlign=top width="15%">
    <TD width="85%">3 teaspoons cumin seeds (jeera)<TD vAlign=top width="15%">
    <TD width="85%">1 teaspoon nigella seeds (kalonji)<TD vAlign=top width="15%">
    <TD width="85%">¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)<TD vAlign=top width="15%">
    <TD width="85%">3 teaspoons ginger paste<TD vAlign=top width="15%">
    <TD width="85%">1 to 2 green chillies, chopped<TD vAlign=top width="15%">
    <TD width="85%">¾ cup thick curds, whisked<TD vAlign=top width="15%">
    <TD width="85%">3 tablespoons oil<TD vAlign=top width="15%">
    <TD width="85%">salt to tasteMethod
    <TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top>1.<TD width="93%">Heat the oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds and nigella seeds and allow the seeds to crackle.
    <TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top>2.<TD width="93%">Add the onions, turmeric powder, ginger paste and green chillies and cook till the onions are tender.
    <TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top>3.<TD width="93%">Add the bhindi and salt and cook over a medium flame till the bhindi is tender.
    <TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top>4.<TD width="93%">Add the whisked curds and cook till the curds dry out.
    <TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top>5.<TD width="93%">Serve hot with parathas or rotis.
    <TABLE width="100%" border=0><TD bgColor=#ffffff cellpadding="2">Tips
    <TD bgColor=#ffffff cellpadding="2">Bhindi tends to get sticky while cooking. Do not cover the pan while cooking and the stickiness will dry out without the presence of steam. <TD bgColor=#ffffff cellpadding="2">Cook the bhindi over a slow flame for best results.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

Re: punjabi bhindi do pyaza

Wow! Thanks for posting it. I will definitely try.
    Have more recipes coming.

Thanks
    Ria

5. enjoylife

enjoylife New IL'ite

green peas sandwich

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TD vAlign=top width=277 bgColor=#ffffff>GREEN PEAS SANDWICH

Chock full of nutrients required for growth, green peas make a surprising filling for sandwiches!

Cooking Time : 10 mins.
    Preparation Time : 15 mins.

Makes 4 sandwiches.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="80%" border=0>Ingredients
    <TABLE cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TD vAlign=top width="15%"><TD width="85%">8 brown bread slices, lightly buttered <TD vAlign=top width="15%"><TD width="85%">1 large tomato, thinly sliced To be mixed into a filling
    <TABLE cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TD vAlign=top width="15%"><TD width="85%">1 cup green peas, boiled and crushed <TD vAlign=top width="15%"><TD width="85%">1 tablespoon finely chopped celery <TD vAlign=top width="15%"><TD width="85%">¼ cup thousand island dressing, recipe below <TD vAlign=top width="15%"><TD width="85%">Salt to taste For the thousand island dressing (makes approx. ¼ cup)
    <TABLE cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TD vAlign=top width="15%"><TD width="85%">2 tablespoons thick curds (dahi) <TD vAlign=top width="15%"><TD width="85%">1 tablespoon cream<TD vAlign=top width="15%"><TD width="85%">½ teaspoon mustard (rai/sarson) powder <TD vAlign=top width="15%"><TD width="85%">½ teaspoon sugar <TD vAlign=top width="15%"><TD width="85%">2 teaspoons tomato ketchup <TD vAlign=top width="15%"><TD width="85%">¼ teaspoon chilli sauce <TD vAlign=top width="15%"><TD width="85%">1 teaspoon chopped pickled cocktail onions <TD vAlign=top width="15%"><TD width="85%">1 teaspoon chopped capsicum <TD vAlign=top width="15%"><TD width="85%">¼ teaspoon chopped green chillies <TD vAlign=top width="15%"><TD width="85%">Salt to taste For the thousand island dressing
    <TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top>1.<TD width="93%">Whisk the curds and cream thoroughly to ensure that no lumps remain.
    <TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top>2.<TD width="93%">Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
    How to proceed
    <TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top>1.<TD width="93%">Toast the bread slices on both sides on a tava (griddle).
    <TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top>2.<TD width="93%">Arrange the tomato slices on 4 toasted bread slices. Sprinkle some salt over the tomatoes.
    <TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top>3.<TD width="93%">Top with the filling mixture and cover with the remaining 4 slices of toasted bread to make 4 sandwiches. Serve hot.
    <TABLE width="100%" border=0><TD bgColor=#ffffff cellpadding="2">Tips
    <TD bgColor=#ffffff cellpadding="2">If your kids are fussy, be innovative and cut the sandwiches into different shapes like triangles, circles or even teddy bears or pussycats.

6. Senorita

Senorita Silver IL'ite

Hi all, thanks for sharing all those receips...

Am looking for Allu Parata... has anyone posted this, if not kindly post..
    Also mention which is best side dish for Allu Parata!!

7. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear senorita,
    pl visit my parathas in the blog and the best to go with alu paratha is nice achar, dahi to save from dry throat later, and wet chole, tomatoe chutney sweet and sour, u need to cut onions and tomato and add some green chillies, if you have capsicum good cut all into small pieces and heat oil and add the onions and some ginger garlic paste and then add the tomato and chillies and keep stirring untill u get a gravy like finish, u can also add some sugar if u like..it is very good with parathas..sunkan
    the link for parathas is here...
    Different Parathas Tried And Tested - IndusLadies

8. Senorita

Senorita Silver IL'ite

Hi sunkan mam,

Thanks a lot... i'll visit ur blog. Actually i have tasted them in one of my friends home. She is sindi.. they tasted yummy!! so frm then on i was found of allu paratas... :-D

I was really wondering wen they gave side dish some dahi and achar.. Even in hotels also they offer same... So i just want to know is that only side dish or any other.. So thanks for clearing my doubt!!

9. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Re: green peas sandwich

Dear enjoylife,
    your two recipes
    punjabi bhindi do pyaza
    GREEN PEAS SANDWICH
    Are verbatim copied from Tarla Dalal.You have not given her credit for the same by making a mention of it.
    3 ILites have already sent me PMs regarding the same. Please go ahead, edit and add the reference. Otherwise, the posts may have to be moderated.
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Re: Aloomutter The Home Made Way In Punjab

Hi Sunkan,

First, thanks for posting this wonderful recipe of aloo mutter.

Usually I make aloo mutter gravy in a different way...meaning I saute the tomatoes,Onions and green chillies and then grind it with garlic ginger paste.

As for jeera and cumin, i add it in hot oil and then add this ground masala, pressure cooked potatoes (peeled & cubed) and peas. I use coriander for garnishing...and not while grinding in masala.

I tried your method yesterday ....it came out WONDERFUL & TASTY!!

Initially, I was wondering how it would taste when we grind all the masala ingredients raw...but to my surprise....at the end...ALOO MUTTER came out FANTASTIC!!

This was the side dish for Cauliflower paratha ( Courtesy: Chitvish:))

So I have to thank you and Chithra aunty for an awesome dinner yesterday!

Regards
    Krithika(Jithiks)