1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Punishments In School

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by padmavathi m, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Aruna,

I also have not encountered any of these situations personally but I am pained by the way the punishments are handed to the kids...

2. padmavathi m

padmavathi m Silver IL'ite

shanti,

prayers are the only way to overcome these issues in the schools...........what else to do dear,
    i can still remember those feelings for krithi when she used to come from school and tell, "mama. today that hindi sir twisted my ears, ", i will immediately hug her and tell "please krithi just wait for some more time till we get a good school for you dear....."..........she would not talk to anyone, not eat well, always sad, inside a shell, even now all these makes me crying shanti.............as you said prayers have worked wonders for her now...........of course she has a long way to go............but with less hurdles, ........or i can tell it this way, now she is able to handle any situation........that is the most important thing in her life.............

padma

3. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Hi ,
    Just came across this thread ..Lucky I caught up with it.Would like to relate an incident . One of my friends had her son studying in a reputed school. Once he went to school without completing his hw, and as a punishment was asked to remove his shorts and stand on the bench for the entire day. The parents of the kid were very angry at the approach. They brought up this topic at the PTA meeting and the father accused the teacher of asking the boy to strip in front of the class. The school authorities took offense to the word strip . And instead of reprimanding the teacher , they asked the parent for a written apology. The child went through hell the next few days until the father gave the apology. And then the matter was settled .Yet no action was taken against the teacher.
    Very recently one child on doing mischief in class was asked to kneel down with his hands behind and his head in the dust bin.Poor chap ! What a hellish experience to go through. This was brought to the notice of the police and the local press. But to no avail.
    I understand that it is sometimes difficult for the teacher to discipline boisterous kids, but the punitive measures cannot be so gross.
    I totally agree with you Shanvy, A teacher can make or mar a childs psyche , so always hope that my kid gets a good teacher every year.

Devika

4. padmavathi m

dear shanti, aruna, devika,

that is the difference between India and other countries.........here in India nobody values anybody............when i used to go for PTA meetings, the teacher will ask me to wait until she finishes with all the parents, though i would be the 2nd or 3rd parent for the meetings................i just think now, how did i get so much patience within me, waiting for a teacher who was ignoring me , only with the academic results, with the marks krithikaa was labelled a dull child, lazy child....................i pity those children like krithikaa who are still suffering with such teachers and schools................why do all humans forget that they are also humans...........teachers are not God..............they are not superior to anybody in this world...........

love
    padma

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

DM ,

I have heard of the dustbin story and the school did not budge.

Punishments in the name of innovation or what...mygod with the shorts down how embarassing the child would have felt in front of his classmates...

I think it is high time teachers need to have counselling and stress relief during the vacation time in may-june a must every year...

6. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

OMG!!Its really shocking to hear abt such cruel punishments..That teacher shud immed be dismissed..But i know that will not happen..Teacher's job is supposed to be the noblest proffession!!But thses teachers....bonkIf she does not have patience then why she has chosen this profession??
    I really feel sad for that poor boy..

7. Shilpa77

Shilpa77 Senior IL'ite

Oh.. my goodness !!.. How cruel these people are !. There should be some kind of secert service where these parents can approach and the teachers are kicked their butt out of the jobs. ( excuse my language ). I cannot accept some third person who is incapable of handling a child being called a teacher.

The fact that they were respected equal to the almighty by calling them " GURU" is all gone now..

Parents should seriuously take some cunning way of teaching a lesson to these institutions & the morons!!.. Law has never helped needy citizens and i assume it never can..

So the parents need to get smart and make the schools realize that they cannot be taken for a ride..

I think it is time to formal social organization to cut-off these budding thorns and secure the life & education of our future citizens..

8. padmavathi m

devika,

how can the teachers be so rude to the children, playing with a small child's ego.........removing his shorts............Rantwhat an attitude............i think the schools should consider some kind of personality development courses for the teachers...............otherwise its really going to be tough for the children as well as parents............

love
    padma

9. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Yes Padma,

I completely agree with you. You know this boy was the son of my friend and he was feeling so humiliated and to top it all the boys were teasing him. He suffered a lot of mental anguish and infact would dread the name of school for a long time.
    But if you ever talk against the teacher, the take out the anger on the children. For fear of that most parents do not complain.
    The dustbin issue was actually so gross but there were only a handful pf parents who complained and those who did , their kids suffered. Infact the press was informed , but the pricipal and the director of the school hushed it up. The cops wouldnt take any action so again its like fighting a losing battle.
    Yes there was a time that Acharya Devo bhava was true to its essence , but no longer.
    These days its a commercial business to open a school and recruit a bunch of unqualified teachers ,who are ready to work for low wages and just speeden up the teaching process. The noblest profession is in the dire need of noble teachers.

Devika