1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

pumping + sterilizing question

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by pray2god, Aug 20, 2010.

1. pray2god

pray2god Senior IL'ite

My LO is 3 weeks old now and we are still struggling with latch.. So for many feedings I still pump and give her BM.

I use Madela PIS for pumping, and Dr. Browns bottle for feeding her.

Question I have is, I wash all the bottles by hand or in the dishwasher with seventh generation natural dish liquid and after that I use an electric sterilizer to sterilize them. After sterilization the bottles have condensation which I try to shake off as much as possible.. However some amt of the water is still left behind in the bottle before I pump and feed her.. Should I wipe the bottles or is the condensation ok.. meaning it goes into her so just concerned..

what do u all do after sterization? do u all air dry the bottles and then use the dry bottles? any feedback for a new concerned mom:bonkwill help..

I am thinking I can use the playtex dropins as an alternative and dont have to be concerned abt all this condensation...??????

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Congrats on the birth of your loved one! I used to be concerned abt the condensation on bottles after my son's birth too and used to sit down and wipe each bottle dry with a clean paper towel. But pretty soon that got to be too overwheming doing it day in and day out! As long as the bottles are properly washed and sterilized you should be ok with a few drops of water (I checked with my doctor on this). After a few weeks of drying each bottle by hand, I just went out and purchased extra bottles so that i could let them air-dry before using them again. I had 8 bottles so that I would only have to wash them once a day.

On a side note, if you want your little one to breastfeed, then you should really try cutting down on the bottle feedings. I know it must be hard right now given lack of sleep and so many other issues, but the more he/she becomes used to the bottle, the lesser the chances of latching (my son never latched and I pumped exclusively for 15 months.) It would be worth your time to get your kid latched now than spend 15 months pumping like I did. You can get the help of a lactation consultant if needed.

Good luck and congrats again!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  3. Kamala08

Kamala08 New IL'ite

Congratulations on your new born!

Its been a while since I stopped pumping. But I do remember wiping the bottles with a clean paper towel (with out my hands touching the inside of the bottles) after sterilizing them. Along the way I stopped doing so and let them air dry.

Good luck with nursing. Remember that its a learning process for both you. You will figure it out soon!

K

4. pray2god

pray2god Senior IL'ite

Thanks pooja.. Did you get the bottle drying rack.

I am having latching issues becoz I was sick and had to be on non-BF safe antibiotics so she was on formula for a 1.5 weeks.. so working hard now to get her to the breast...

How long did you pump and how many times a day?

5. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Yep I got the bottle drying rack but I found the bottles dried much faster if you left them standing upright on the kitchen counter.

Yep get her back on the breast as soon as you can!

I pumped 5 times a day, each pumping session ard 25 minutes long. I must add her that I had an oversupply issue thats why it took me 25 minutes, most of my friends pumped 15 minutes each time. what i found that while pumping, the milk comes in hard and fast in the beginning and then tapers off to almost none. but if I continued pumping 5 minutes after the last milk had come out, I would get a second letdown of an ounce or two extra. that really helped me a lot!

6. pray2god

pray2god Senior IL'ite

Any specific brand? First years has this modular spinning drying rack? I guess they can be used for sippy cups later on too..